Roof to Sun Lamps

Started by Sion, June 23, 2014, 05:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sion

I think it's silly that the Sun Lamp explodes almost as soon as it rains on it, I mean sure it was initially designed to make crops grow inside and it "handles" a lot of power, but if you would be a farmer and had a lamp that is so strong that it can make crops grow indefinitely then you would either make the damn lamp water proof or you would build a roof over the lamp but not over the farm, or simply put the lamp in a tiny greenhouse and let it shine through the glass.

It is actually possible to put a roof over the lamp that prevents 100% of the explosions, but it relies on tricking the roof laying algorithm, and I would much rather have a legit way of securing the sunlamp from exploding outside.

The cheaty way is like this:
P = Power conduit
L = Load bearing wall (Make sure this wall piece is done first, it holds up the roof piece)
W = Wall (sell them as soon as a roof has been formed, also add a 1x1 no roof region over these after selling them, to remove unnecessary roofs)
S = Sun lamp (place the sunlamp after removing the W-walls)
1-5 = distance, tile number (W=1, L=5)

Roof will be generated over W and S

W
PL432WSW
W
So many ideas... so little time...
Silence is the worst answer.

Ford_Prefect

I guess the best idea would be a research item for waterproofing sun lamps that when completed reduces the chance of them exploding in the rain.

StorymasterQ

And perhaps an even more expensive research that changes that "reduced chance" to "no chance".
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

ShivaFang

I'd rather have a greenhouse walls that create a greenhouse roof that lets in sunlight but not rain (actually that would be awesome for putting batteries next to solar generators too)

Then, I'd also like it if sunlamps would turn themselves off when they already have regular sun on them as well.

StorymasterQ

Greenhouse roofs sounds cool, actually. Do want!

About turning things on and off, there's the Power Switch mod. After some research, the power switches can be set to turn on and off according to a schedule, and the sun in Rimworld rises and sets at the same time all year.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here