Caravans can't drop items without settling.

Started by 5thHorseman, July 08, 2018, 12:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5thHorseman

Unless I'm missing something. Here's what happened.

I sent 3 colonists out to fulfill a quest. They took the quest items, food, and some medicine with them. About midway there, it got really cold (I'm near the equator so have year-round growing so wasn't really expecting this) and one of them got hypothermia, and 1 square from the destination died from it. It's 55 degrees F back home, by the way. That's about 10-15 c.

Now the caravan - which is 2 people and a dead body and enough stuff to require 3 people to carry - is stuck. I can't split because that will just leave one person stuck. I can't "settle" because I'm right next to my destination. I tried to split away the dead body and enough stuff so the other two could continue on but the game won't let me. This is what I'd like added to the game.

I *can* go and rescue them, with a large enough caravan to take them and their dead body far enough away to settle so we can leave it. And I *can* divide them in two and send one person with the dead body and all the other stuff far enough away that they can dump him in the woods and then come back. Neither is very time efficient and if one guy can die from hypothermia in springtime temperatures I don't know if the others will as well.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

5thHorseman

Never mind. I can't split them and go bury the body. It weighs what someone can carry so they'd have to strip naked with no food just to haul it.

So they can sit there with a rotting body while someone comes to collect it.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

DariusWolfe

I just checked, and the option to drop items is absolutely still there. You completely lose the items, but you can do it. I do it with tainted clothes and corpses on purpose, sometimes.

Check the 'items' tab. I'm not 100% sure if bodies of deceased colonists show up there; I didn't want to kill a colonist just to test, but if they count toward your weight carried, then they should.

5thHorseman

Quote from: DariusWolfe on July 08, 2018, 12:54:49 PM
I just checked, and the option to drop items is absolutely still there. You completely lose the items, but you can do it. I do it with tainted clothes and corpses on purpose, sometimes.

Check the 'items' tab. I'm not 100% sure if bodies of deceased colonists show up there; I didn't want to kill a colonist just to test, but if they count toward your weight carried, then they should.

No they totally show up there. But you can't actually drop them without also dropping one living colonist. The game tells you so. Or, I wasn't looking in the correct screen. Is it not the split caravan screen? I didn't see another option.

I sent a guy with 3 muffalos to get them, and take them to the dropoff and back. The guy who took the Muffalos got malaria and died - surprise surprise - one square away from home.

:/

AileTheAlien

No, it's not the split-caravan screen. You're dropping items. Look in the items screen.

[attachment deleted due to age]

DariusWolfe

Quote from: 5thHorseman on July 08, 2018, 01:40:21 PM
I sent a guy with 3 muffalos to get them, and take them to the dropoff and back. The guy who took the Muffalos got malaria and died - surprise surprise - one square away from home.

Well, they say that most accidents occur within 25 miles of home...

But yeah, Aile lays it out well. Items tab of the caravan menu, nothing to do with splitting the caravan. If you want to *keep* the items, then splitting the caravan is the only option, though.