"I don't have a shot!" -Toggle to prevent pawn AI from choosing targets in melee

Started by Wintersdark, July 08, 2018, 03:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wintersdark

Suggestion: Implement a per pawn toggle to prevent pawns from automatically choosing targets currently engaged in melee combat.

In previous versions of the game, melee has been a decidedly poor choice and something that only happens when things have already gone wrong.

That's less so the case now, and it appears at least that this is intentional.  I'm all for it, honestly, but it does make one thing a bit rougher: Friendly fire.  Is it at all possible to get a per-pawn toggle to simply not fire into melee unless specifically told to target them.  Basically, I'm looking for a way to have my pawns stop picking automatically targets in melee when their original target dies.

Too often I only catch this after someone has firing their bolt action rifle into my melee pawn's head. 

Just a simple "It's too dangerous, I can't get a good shot!" toggle, so my pawns don't default to murdering my poor melee guys who already have things pretty rough.  Obviously, this won't end FF from "I ran into the line of fire" or FF from deliberately firing into melee, but it'd go a long way to prevent accidental and wholly unnecessary injuries.

5thHorseman

Or a "Don't run between two groups of pawns shooting at each other" pathing algorithm.

I find most of the time it's my melee guys running through the firing range to get at someone, and I end up microing their pathing to get behind or to the side (where they only get hit 1/4 of the time instead of sponging up every single bullet in the game)
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.