[0.19][WIP] ED-Excalibur_1.0.0.8 (2018-09-27)

Started by Jaxxa, July 10, 2018, 08:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxxa

Just uploaded a new version.
Disabling Shield Related Debug information.
Adding a WIP icon to contact Excalibur.
Locking Transporter Systems behind Research.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have corrected the issue with the zip file names.

The icons for the transponder. the transporter related ones are now locked behind research and a temp icon has been added to the contact button. So the only extra button that you see should be a new green one to progress initially.

Once you provide the power to the ship it should correctly unlock the bill to provide metal resources to the ship. Once you build the Resource it will automatically be transported shortly. This was a bug stopping it from unlocking correctly.

Thanks for all the feedback.

rawrfisher

I saw a fair number of grammer and spelling errors throughout the dialog for the mod up to the point of stabalizing the excalibur.
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Diedel

Quote from: Jaxxa on July 30, 2018, 08:01:33 AM
Just uploaded a new version.
Disabling Shield Related Debug information.
Adding a WIP icon to contact Excalibur.
Locking Transporter Systems behind Research.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have corrected the issue with the zip file names.

The icons for the transponder. the transporter related ones are now locked behind research and a temp icon has been added to the contact button. So the only extra button that you see should be a new green one to progress initially.

Once you provide the power to the ship it should correctly unlock the bill to provide metal resources to the ship. Once you build the Resource it will automatically be transported shortly. This was a bug stopping it from unlocking correctly.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Material transfer is working. Is the quest research ever supposed to unlock ? Everything else looks researchable now.

rawrfisher

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Quest.ResearchHelper.QuestComplete (System.String researchName) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Quest.ShipSystems.ShipSystem_Computer.ApplyResearchUnlocks () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Quest.ShipSystem.ApplyResearchUnlocksIfRequired () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_Excalibur_Quest+<>c.<UpdateAllResearch>b__18_0 (EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Quest.ShipSystem s) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Quest.ShipSystem].ForEach (System.Action`1 action) [0x00018] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:361
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_Excalibur_Quest.UpdateAllResearch () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Quest.ShipSystem.ProgressRepair () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_Excalibur_Quest.TickOnInterval () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_BaseClass.TickIfRequired (Int32 currentTick) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_Excalibur+<>c__DisplayClass7_0.<GameComponentTick>b__0 (EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_BaseClass x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_BaseClass].ForEach (System.Action`1 action) [0x00018] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/List.cs:361
  at EnhancedDevelopment.Excalibur.Core.GameComponent_Excalibur.GameComponentTick () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.GameComponentUtility.GameComponentTick () [0x0001c] in C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\GameComponent\GameComponentUtility.cs:27
Verse.Log:Error(String, Boolean) (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Utility\Debug\Log\Log.cs:78)
Verse.GameComponentUtility:GameComponentTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\GameComponent\GameComponentUtility.cs:28)
Verse.TickManager:DoSingleTick() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:369)
Verse.TickManager:TickManagerUpdate() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Ticking\TickManager.cs:267)
Verse.Game:UpdatePlay() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Game\Game.cs:512)
Verse.Root_Play:Update() (at C:\Dev\RimWorld\Assets\Scripts\Verse\Global\Root\Root_Play.cs:99)

Looked at log quickly and saw this error alternating with a white text saying unlocking computer
Professional jerk

Jaxxa

Quote from: rawrfisher on July 30, 2018, 08:47:58 AM
I saw a fair number of grammer and spelling errors throughout the dialog for the mod up to the point of stabalizing the excalibur.

Sorry about that, everything is still a bit rough at the moment as I try and check if the core concept is a good idea or if I should scrap it and go back to separate mods.

Quote from: Diedel on July 30, 2018, 08:58:28 AM
Material transfer is working. Is the quest research ever supposed to unlock ? Everything else looks researchable now.

Currently it gets to a point where most everything is just unlocked using standard research, this will soon be replaced with more Ship Repair Progress that will unlock the research for you.

Quote from: rawrfisher on July 31, 2018, 02:14:13 AM
Looked at log quickly and saw this error alternating with a white text saying unlocking computer

Thanks for reporting, will be fixed in new version.

rawrfisher

Quote from: Jaxxa on August 01, 2018, 01:28:49 AM
Quote from: rawrfisher on July 30, 2018, 08:47:58 AM

Sorry about that, everything is still a bit rough at the moment as I try and check if the core concept is a good idea or if I should scrap it and go back to separate mods.

Quote from: Diedel on July 30, 2018, 08:58:28 AM

Currently it gets to a point where most everything is just unlocked using standard research, this will soon be replaced with more Ship Repair Progress that will unlock the research for you.

Quote from: rawrfisher on July 31, 2018, 02:14:13 AM

Thanks for reporting, will be fixed in new version.

The dialog can wait till you get the kinks worked out.
The Error I dont even remember what it caused.
Professional jerk

Jaxxa

Was replying to a question on a thread for my other mod that I decided would be better here. as I outline some of my future plans.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=37158.135

Quote from: rawrfisher on August 14, 2018, 07:32:30 PM
Did you consider the method I suggested on the excal thread?

I think fluffy managed to nuke the conflict by pure chance

The idea of using Items to lock the Research?
Yes, kind of.
I will be using item requirements to lock down the research that should not be done, but wanted to avoid providing many Items that are used for Research so every locked research depends on the same item that you should never be able to get, and if you manage to get one it will self destruct.

Then as you are able to conduct a research the requirement to have that Item will be removed from the Research definition, unlocking it, as is the case for Researching the initial signal.

For the later unlocks where you are given a choice of what you want you will not actually research them directly. You will bring part of the ship online and it will unlock and complete the research for you at once, since you are not actually building it yourself but getting it delivered and using it. So the Research tab will work more as a progression map rather than something that you actually order research for.

I am also thinking of changing how the ship is repaired slightly. Instead of prioritizing a system and it slowly being repaired there will be a new resource "NanoMaterials", slowly made from RU and Power on the ship. Then once you have enough of these you can spend to instantly bring a System online / upgrade it. I plan to let you chose how much NanoMaterials you want to keep, so it will build them upto that point and stop so it does not totally drain you of RU and power.

The Systems can also have multiple levels So Shields 1 will let you build Shield Generators, Shields 2 for upgrades for them and Shields 3 for Personal Shield for example.

rawrfisher

How will that affect games that are in progress
Professional jerk

Jaxxa

Quote from: rawrfisher on August 14, 2018, 11:28:32 PM
How will that affect games that are in progress

Not exactly certain, but I suspect it will require you to progress through the parts of the quest that have changed again if you have been past that. Until it is officially released I am not having a huge focus on saves in progress. Worst case you can revert to an old version of the mod until you finish that play through.

rawrfisher

Me finish a playthrough?  Never gonna happen. Not even the evilness of merciless mode and the current wealth bug I'm experiencing is enough to kill me off.  3 massive seiges within a span of 8h game time on day 2 lol  I just exit the map till they buzz off
Professional jerk

Jaxxa

Just released version 1.0.0.5

* Rework of Ship Systems / Unlocking Research.
* Rework of Building Construction and Deployment.

rawrfisher

Quote from: Jaxxa on August 25, 2018, 11:30:08 PM
Just released version 1.0.0.5

* Rework of Ship Systems / Unlocking Research.
* Rework of Building Construction and Deployment.

Now lets see how fast I find an edgecase :P
Not sure if it was an oversight on my part or on yours but the quantum sheild max charge defaults to 0 and the building defaults to not charging sheilds.
Professional jerk

Jaxxa

I look forward to it :)

I will have a look at how the Quantum Shield recharging is working.

I am also planning to rework how creating NanoMaterials for reparing the ship works. Instead of the current system of setting a target and having it build upto that amount I will be adding NanoMaterials to the list of things that can be constructed next to the buildings.

How are you finding Creating Buildings / Repairing Systems in general?

rawrfisher

Its not too bad tho a building drop did kill my head doctor
Aside from that the shields are klunky and barely worth using given they severely hamper gunfire if you have multiples in any form of overlap and i swear it wont let me shoot anything inside the shield.

In short your sheilds are in desperate need of some major TLC.  Even the quantum sheilds a pain to work with at times.  Cant tell if its gonna charge or not when pawns are nearby.  Aside from that it does not work on the robots from misc robots.  That would also suggest it will need some patch's to support roolo's what the hack as well

Aside from that I am looking forward to more options.  I have so much more I wanna go over but most of it I haven't had a chance to work with since I been helping roolo test his what the hack mod. 
On that note:  I recall you mentioning a backstory to the ship involving an ancient war or something.  What if at a set point in repairing the ship you have a string of raids trigger like when booting up a ship.  Preferably an entire custom mechanized faction or some kind of war break out involving the ship where you need to keep supplying x amount of power or resources. 
Maybe add a mechanized support option as well.  Could always ask roolo if you could use some of his code from what the hack in the part of repairing the mechs sent by the ship.
Another possibility is maybe have the ship with weapons that need to be restored and you have to supply the materials for them.  Say have to restore 50% of weapons by day 180 or the ship comes crashing into the planet after 15 days.  Theres so many ways you can expand on the ship aside from what you already have. 
Admittedly I didnt read every option but still I'm just rambling here.
I will probably add more to that list and put it in a better format when I finally can actually work with stuff better.

Currently the sheilds have been nothing but a wall neither side can shoot through.
They dont seem to drain when taking damage.
The generator is so large it almost cant fit inside my base at all.
Thankfully they are counted the same as a wall so I can recess them a bit into the wall to compensate.   Maybe make a wall mounted variant with reduced range.  I know its possible to do 1x1's but changing the function of them to be placeable on a wall over a structure is a bit outta my range of understanding.
A series of weapons and armor that can be requested from the ship would also be nice.
A further expansion of the shield system as well would be nice. 

Gotta correct a mistake in my last post.  The max capacity is what defaults to 0 but once I updated the settings it worked fine.  The charge station tho defaults to off which is kinda inconvenient for me at times.
Side note tho I found out the drop pods can kill a scyther as well as a colonist
Professional jerk

Jaxxa

My priority so far has been getting a solid base to build on, focusing on the quest system and building deployment, I think I have finally gotten it about to where I am happy with it. My next priority is polishing to the point where it can serve as a valid replacement for the the B18 versions of my mods that are being replaced by it, I think it is close in this respect. I want to add more modules for Shields and do an initial balancing pass on everything, probably just eyeballing initial costs for everything and then patch them in response to player feedback and me doing more breakthroughs.

Now that B19 is officially live I will try for an initial official release this weekend, including on steam.