My (huge) list of additions/rebalances for 1.0

Started by DubskiDude, July 11, 2018, 02:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RemingtonRyder

If you gave an artillery shell a good solid smack with your fist, you're more likely to break your hand than set it off. They're designed to go off after a high-velocity impact.

DubskiDude

Quote from: MarvinKosh on July 14, 2018, 01:53:55 AM
If you gave an artillery shell a good solid smack with your fist, you're more likely to break your hand than set it off. They're designed to go off after a high-velocity impact.

Yeah, and kicking a can of gas is unlikely to ignite it, too.

bobucles

I find that pawns simply do way too many "personal" tasks when their schedule is set to work. A work priority does not mean eat. It does not mean grab a snack. It does not mean walking half way across the map to look at a statue. It means work.

DubskiDude

Quote from: bobucles on July 15, 2018, 02:01:17 PM
I find that pawns simply do way too many "personal" tasks when their schedule is set to work. A work priority does not mean eat. It does not mean grab a snack. It does not mean walking half way across the map to look at a statue. It means work.

I kind of get why they go eat, because not eating affects their ability to work (and quickly - people can outright die in 2 days without food). I feel that pawns should ALWAYS grab a meal and carry it with them. Doesn't matter what job they have or where they're going. I also think the "Doctor" job should overwrite the schedule - if a pawn gets an infection during the night, the doctor should wake up and take care of it. Doctors shouldn't require so much micromanaging - they should take care of it on their own.

Oblitus

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 15, 2018, 04:44:49 PM
I feel that pawns should ALWAYS grab a meal and carry it with them.
That's another problem with nutrient paste, actually - pawns can't take it to carry, only for immediate consumption.

DubskiDude

Quote from: Oblitus on July 15, 2018, 10:53:57 PM
That's another problem with nutrient paste, actually - pawns can't take it to carry, only for immediate consumption.

Is that a bug or some kind of weird design choice?

Oblitus

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 16, 2018, 11:59:46 PM
Quote from: Oblitus on July 15, 2018, 10:53:57 PM

Is that a bug or some kind of weird design choice?
Second, I believe. The nutrient paste can be taken only for immediate consumption, probably because it is overpowered for feeding animals who don't care for mood debuff but can benefit from nutrition efficiency. It has 300% nutrition efficiency, while kibble has 125% (with hay efficient nutrition of kibble is ≈155% when compared to corn).

DubskiDude

Quote from: Oblitus on July 17, 2018, 12:04:44 AM
Second, I believe. The nutrient paste can be taken only for immediate consumption, probably because it is overpowered for feeding animals who don't care for mood debuff but can benefit from nutrition efficiency. It has 300% nutrition efficiency, while kibble has 125% (with hay efficient nutrition of kibble is ≈155% when compared to corn).

In that case, nutrient paste is no big deal. Regular meals, on the other hand, should be scooped up with reckless abandon by any pawn. Wake up, eat meal, take meal with you. Easy.

Also cleaned up some resolved points in my list, and added two trait ideas, "Backpacker" and "Bisexual".

Oblitus

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 17, 2018, 12:36:01 AM
Quote from: Oblitus on July 17, 2018, 12:04:44 AM

In that case, nutrient paste is no big deal. Regular meals, on the other hand, should be scooped up with reckless abandon by any pawn. Wake up, eat meal, take meal with you. Easy.
Actually, they do exactly this with regular meals.

DubskiDude

Quote from: Oblitus on July 17, 2018, 12:41:37 AM
Actually, they do exactly this with regular meals.

Some do when they leave the base, but I feel like many who stick around the base don't, and then waste time going back to grab one, eat, and then walk back to their work station.

Also totally forgot I made threads on Reddit about "war beasts" and "bunker busters" for use in raids. Added them to the top of the main post. Really hope to see something like it implemented - it would spice up raids quite a bit.

DubskiDude

I've been really thinking on it, and between melee hitting ranged pawns hard after the distance is closed, as well as two of the three turret types having minimum range, and also how enemies seem to drop pod in and bypass defenses entirely, I think Rimworld needs barbed wire fences.

Specifically a trap that takes a lot of resources to lay (maybe 20-40 steel or more) and lowers enemy movement more than sandbags (but of course offers no protection to friend or foe). Something to, say, slow down incoming Zerg-rushes from infestations. Could also deteriorate after a while, requiring a fresh build every few months. I think this would make for more interesting defense builds, though I'm hoping they don't make killboxes more powerful (maybe prevent them from being built next to walls or other structures?)

SpaceDorf

Quote from: MarvinKosh on July 14, 2018, 01:53:55 AM

Actually without a detonator in place an artillery shell might even survive the high velocity impact.

Now to the other suggestions in Greep-Style

-(yes) hauling, though hauling opportunities are implemented now
-(Yes) to every GUI suggestion about skill efficency ( I remember a mod that did that for surgery )
-(YES) to showing required skills/worktype on Workbenches/Bills
-(Yes) to plastic surgery
-(YES) to the traits and power armor should also increase carry weight or at least counterbalance it's own weight
-(YES) to Hope and Winning buffs, could expand sickness with a small buff when immunity is reached
-(YES) to snowy optics and green toxic snow
( - river event : upstream pollution )
-(YES) to animals staying put, the get food after all

-(YES) to Fluffies Medical Tab.

-(NO) to rearranging the work types, setting priorities to manual is the first click
in every new game.
-(INSTEAD) Fluffies Work Tab, more priority numbers and ability to priorize sub-types and all features of the Allow Tool.

-(YES) to Bulk Drug Burning
-(YES) to law enforcement
-(YES) to better Doctors,
-(NEW) return of the REPAIR Priority, which should include refueling instead of hauling

-(MAYBE) to edit caravan, you can order caravan members to pick stuff up
-(YES) to better Terraforming by moisture pump and construction/farming

-(NEW) Remove Floors should also be in the Orders Menu
-(NO) to underground maps,
-(Counter) make unpassable mountains accessable from one side ( like oceancs )
to create huge cave systems. More cave stuff and farmable cave plants would be cool though.
Also an addition to encounter maps : found a cave!
-(YES) to helping out allies in combat
-(YES) to close range firing, at least with weapons designed to do so. At the moment my Beastmaster is wearing a longsword

-(YES/NO) to coldsnap nerf. this really depends on the crops. Most fruits/crops really become unconsumable when exposed to freezing temperatures.
But instant death for the plant is strange. Losing HP and growth percentage going down would be more managable.

-(YES) to joy-deprived before attacking. Also resting before an attack would be great.
-(YES) to NOT shooting Colony Members without orders.
-(Mabye) to gauging rescued colonists value, maybe adding a "stranger" tag similiar to the "guilty" tag that lets us banish the pawn without
great repercussions or Worse : if you let the raid kill/capture the fleeing pawn they will go away without bothering you. 
-(YES) to no instant Death for colonists in general. ( plot armor ). This would also remove some grievences with friendly fire.
Downed Pawns can still be killed or die.
-(Addition) chance of abducted pawns triggering the chased pawn event shortly after. ( trying to return home )
-(Maybe) better ship rewards. Butchering Mechanoids is quite rewarding on its own. Mabye a chance of Mechanoids dropping something more advanced as well.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

DubskiDude

I like the "found a cave!" idea. Could easily become a neat combat event where you scout out the cave and fight off insects/troglodytes (I really think Rimworld needs mutant troglodytes) with rare loot farther in. Could ever have prisoner pawns inside. Has a lot of potential.

SpaceDorf

Yeah, the good old cave. a hole in the ground ..
The basic foundation of Fantasy Novels and RPG's
Exploration, Imagination and Hard Rock !
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Madman666

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 23, 2018, 05:25:27 AM
-(Maybe) better ship rewards. Butchering Mechanoids is quite rewarding on its own. Mabye a chance of Mechanoids dropping something more advanced as well.

After a nerf you hardly get anything from butchering even a tank posing as a Centipede though. Unless it was changed and i didn't know about it.