Tree Sowing work overkill

Started by Grimelord82, July 11, 2018, 12:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grimelord82

I've seen it mentioned in the Unstable Build thread, so I'm going to break it out here for some more traction:

Tree Sowing takes TOO long. Pawns with 6 planting can attempt it, but I've been watching my Tribal gardener struggle to even manage 1 a "day". She's planted 1 tree and mostly gets distracted before finishing, so she has to start all over again. It seems like it takes about 16 hours, but I need to actually time it.

By the time she's down she's down to .1 nutrition, 0 recreation, even if she started full.

If it could be a left and continued later task like workbench stuff, it wouldn't be so bad. But making 0 progress after 10 hours due to distraction/getting hungry/etc is ruinous.

Klomster

Is Tynan changing sowing times for trees?

I thought they were fine as they were, sure it took some time but 3-4 colonists could get a regular field done over a day easy. Less than so if they were decent growers.

If this is true combined with that one now needs the trees on site i'd be sad about how growing trees is barely worth it :(
Perhaps even not worth it at all.

I usually get a cecropia field on fertile soil going, to have fuel for my colony in the future and to make sure i have a stable supply.
And even then there's usually some cataclysmic event before i can even harvest it, but that's mostly because i've been playing a bunch of silly scenarios lately.

And i can't have my single spruce i like to plant. I like my silly spruce tree. :/

Being forced to use only local trees is a bit sad, since if one claims logic there, we shouldn't be able to plant rice and potatoes either.
Meaning we'd probably starve. Nay, we would always starve.

I don't think having seeds would be the right way either, however if they were more like an unlock like in Banished it might work.
A trader comes by and i buy Spruce seeds, then i can have my spruce tree.
Suppose it would be "technologies" that one could get with buying seed packages.

And the colony starts with all seeds on site, plus rice potato. Or something like that.

Jibbles

The trees man -_-  It's already bad enough you can't cluster them for looks.
Wished other steps were taken to nerf farming.
It's a pain really to design bases the way I used to when you don't have decent growers. Not just tree but plants in general

AileTheAlien

Quote from: Klomster on July 11, 2018, 01:10:09 PM
Being forced to use only local trees is a bit sad, since if one claims logic there, we shouldn't be able to plant rice and potatoes either.
I'm in favor of biome-limited crops, in addition to trees. More reason to use nutrient paste, trade for food, and use hydroponics. If the all plants were limited like this, I think the research would need to be re-done. Maybe one research for crops per biome, plus one research for trees per biome? Or maybe some biomes are considered "normal" or "easy", and get a single combined research, like arid shrubland or temperate forests?

Quote from: Jibbles on July 11, 2018, 01:39:48 PM
The trees man -_-  It's already bad enough you can't cluster them for looks.
You can cluster cactii! They don't have the grow-radius restriction thing! :)