Trap ... Do you like to use traps?

Started by East, July 13, 2018, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

East

Trap ... Do you like to use traps?
When the trap line is completed, the normal raid seems to be too simple. Can not you change something exciting?

How about reducing the damage and giving it a slow or stun? The trap size is increased to 3x3.

Do not you have a funny idea?

TheMeInTeam

Aren't they pretty awful vs armor now?  I haven't used them in a few iterations of 1.0, but since the armor rework they seem pretty crummy for the amount of steel they cost.

Slow/stun with less damage would probably constitute a buff.

mndfreeze

I've started using the weaker, but cheaper, stone based traps for the early game. 

They definitely are not nearly as good as they used to be, especially with the new logic put in for the storyteller to send in raid types that avoid your traps like sappers and drop pods.  I seem to have a lot more luck with them when making a wide kill hallway type setup vs a box with a small 1 or 2 tile entrance, then just scattering them about all over the main area they walk in at, but never completely covering the entire thing in traps so there are technically still pathways they can run through without hitting. 

I've also had to make those hallways really really long so entire raids end up inside them to get killed off so no stragglers escape the map since once they do all the future raids seem to know exactly where they are placed.

IMO, they seem better just scattered around areas people tend to walk instead of trying to force bad guys to path over them every time. 

zizard

1.0 makes you use them unless you like getting RNGed by lancers.

Ser Kitteh

Deadfall traps? Yep! Very useful to put all of them in front of your sandbags so the melee enemies get a serious cut.

IEDs? I have never seen anyone use IEDs since that patch where if you build something next to a ship mechbois come out.

mndfreeze

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 13, 2018, 12:04:38 PM
Deadfall traps? Yep! Very useful to put all of them in front of your sandbags so the melee enemies get a serious cut.

IEDs? I have never seen anyone use IEDs since that patch where if you build something next to a ship mechbois come out.

Yeah, once they patched that out I had a hard time finding uses for them.  Most of the time they were not worth the expense of remaking over and over.  Not to mention in a lot of scenarios that explosion can be deadly to my own people, as well as random animals setting them off now again. lol.

ashaffee

Depends on how you defend your base. If you use a kill box and try to tunnel them through traps yes that has been designed not to work. I use traps differently. When I do bases with no outer wall and we are just running between cover of buildings. I put traps on the cover the enemy naturally goes to seek for. I also put them in paths they'd have to take to melee my ranged shooters in bunkers.

They work really well in cases like this. Another cool strategy for IEDs is to just give them a slot of cover like 1 wooden wall then put a IED behind it. You can go a step further and put a stone floor perimeter and wood floors for a burn zone. Forcing them to take certain paths to avoid fire thus causing more trap uses.

Zombull

I use them a lot on my 100% blind NB colonies as I often start with a pawn who cannot or should not be getting into combat.

I figure if the enemy gets to magically know exactly where my coolers and power generators are, it's fair to exploit that behavior.

Greep

Traps are almost 100% countered outside of mountains, so they really do not need a nerf.  And in mountains, you've got infestations and cabin fever messing with you to make up for it, and then sappers find a way in anyways sometimes.  I think they're in a good place.  They can be used to wreck manhunter swarms and non-drop pods on flatter maps, but you still need to waste thousands of steel for only countering some raid types, which leaves you super vulnerable to the other raids.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

5thHorseman

I have them everywhere. When they're not killing raiders they're taking out animals for me to butcher.

Sure it takes several traps to take one guy down and more for a mechanoid but who cares they're free after the initial investment and it's far safer than taking them on one-by-one.

And sure the game sends things around the long way but not always, and for those times they do go through my trap maze, bammo.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Oblitus

Well-placed deadfall trap is efficient enough, but mostly on maps with a lot of hills where the path is predictable, and their damage is not impressive. I've seen one unarmored pirate taking 5 hits from them. IEDs - they are just too expensive. 15 steel, 10 chemfuel and 1 component for HE IED is a lot of work to make.

giltirn

I don't use turrets as the material cost for replacement (and now upkeep) is far too high; I don't want the security of my colony to be dependent upon unreliable trading for steel or plasteel. Deadfall traps are my goto - even wooden deadfalls, carefully placed in locations where attackers are likely to position themselves (eg behind corners of buildings or rock formations outside your main perimeter), are extremely effective. I haven't played much of 1.0, but in B18 having a good trap setup often cripples the enemy before they even engage. Scythers it seems were particularly prone to such tactics.

Wanderer_joins

A few traps randomly scattered around your buildings are effective against scythers and manhunter animals without weakening standard raids too much.

Spamming traps is still OP.

giltirn

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on July 14, 2018, 01:26:29 AM
A few traps randomly scattered around your buildings are effective against scythers and manhunter animals without weakening standard raids too much.

Spamming traps is still OP.

Spamming anything is OP. I'm sick of nerf after nerf to our available defensive strategies in this game. Are the hardcore people only going to be happy when we fight every encounter in the open, butt naked with an awful-quality shortbow??

East

Quote from: giltirn on July 14, 2018, 01:38:47 AM
Spamming anything is OP. I'm sick of nerf after nerf to our available defensive strategies in this game. Are the hardcore people only going to be happy when we fight every encounter in the open, butt naked with an awful-quality shortbow??

I think it is not funny that the enemy raids solve with AFK. Trap spam triggers this problem.
I think it is interesting that colonists and traps combine to combat. not only trap one side combat.
I imagine. Traps give slow, burning, stun, and flee effects, and we attack them.

The trap that triggers as a colonist like the reality of claymore mine seems to be interesting.
Trigger trap when you turn on the swtich.