Gentle Johan nopes out.

Started by Zombull, July 14, 2018, 06:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

I always start 100% blind NB.

Sometimes the game punishes me for it.

Johan is incapable of violence and has only 2 levels of construction.

But I can make this work! Johan's not a fighter, but he's not a quitter, either!

Johan plants a quick tiny farm and lives off berries in the meantime. The he chops some trees and builds a shelter and some floors to increase his construction skill enough to build a few deadfall traps.

Uhoh. There's a mad tortoise. No traps yet. Okay. Johan will just wait it out inside the building. Once the tortoise has chilled out and Johan gets back to work. He builds half a dozen wooden deadfall traps in a little corridor leading to a small room with an escape door.

Soon the first raider arrives. Johan hides in the trapped room. The raider knows he's there somehow, of course. The raider charges down the trapped corridor, setting off half of the traps and taking serious damage, but doesn't fall down. Johan dashes out the escape door, leaving the raider no choice but go back out via the trapped corridor again. He doesn't make it. Johan carries the seriously wounded raider to a bed and tends his wounds...very poorly. Johan knows nothing about medicine.

Johan knows the raider is doomed if he gets an infection, but he'll try to keep him alive anyway. Johan sets off to gather as many berries as he can find. Suddenly he hears a powerful bolt of thunder in the distance. There's a flash storm somewhere. Good thing it isn't close by. Johan continues harvesting berries and as the sun sets, he realizes he has to sleep out under the stars because the raider is in the only bed back at the shelter.

In the morning, Johan awakes not particularly well rested, having slept outdoors and on the ground. But Johan's an optimist. He picks up some of the berries he harvested the night before and heads back to the shelter to share them with his prisoner. What Johan finds upon returning to the shelter, though, is a giant centipede mechanoid lumbering toward him, firing its autocannon wildly.

What Johan doesn't know is the flash lightning storm the night before had struck an ancient danger structure and set it on fire. The ancient soldiers within had popped out of their cryptosleep caskets only to be slaughtered by the mechanoids guarding them. The newly awakened and enraged mechanoids eventually broke through a wall and escaped to seek new victims.

What Johan does know is he's in deep trouble. Johan drops his berries and flees. He regrets that the prisoner is likely doomed, but knows he can do nothing to save him now. Johan runs and runs until he finds himself in an entirely new area. The centipede is nowhere in sight now. Johan is exhausted and starving. Thankfully, there are berries nearby.

Johan explors the area and, to his delight, finds a large natural canyon in a nearby mountain range with a tight and easily defended entrance. He chops a few trees and builds a small wall and a few new traps. He finds a dilapidated stone structure built into the mountain and makes a home there. Johan hears a crackle from the radio he forgot he has and isn't sure where he's been carrying. A man named Ben is being pursued and needs help. Ever helpful, Johan gives him directions to the canyon and tells him to watch out for the traps. Ben makes it safely into the canyon. The raider pursuing him does not. Thankfully, Ben is not a pacifist, so the pistol the raider dropped as he died won't go to waste.

Ben and Johan become fast friends and work together to improve their home in the canyon. Soon, others join. Some by choice, some through...persuasion. In time, the camp in the canyon grows into a successful colony. Johan sometimes remembers the forest somewhere to the south, where he found himself naked and afraid. But he's not afraid now. He has friends and a good life. He smiles knowing none of it would be possible if he'd given up trying to survive just because he couldn't fight.

dearmad

that was a good yarn. Hello to Johan!

SpookCrow

"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

Adamiks

I feel more connected to Johan than i do with some of my friends

khun_poo