[1.0][WIP]Science Is Magic!

Started by Menoske, July 31, 2019, 07:47:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menoske

Overall Concept
Science is Magic allows a colony to pursue either scientific or magical capabilities, each adding new offensive, defensive, and utility abilities to the colony and its residents.  Colonies will have a choice to build a permanent indestructible structure that will lock the colony into the path its chosen.  For scientific discoveries the Nanite Engine will fuel research while the Mana Font will fuel magical studies.  Use science to create nanite serums that give pawns new abilities or embed magic rune stones into a pawn to instill magical abilities!

Initial Release
The initial release is planned to include 36 new pawn abilities (18 science and 18 magic) and 6 colony "ultimate" capabilities (3 science and 3 magic). These ultimate capabilities are described more in detail below.  I am not planning on adding new weapons and apparel at this time.  I'd prefer weapons and apparel to be unique.

Abilities
Scientific abilities focus on harnessing the power of space, gravity, time, and biological sciences to create black holes, put pawns in stasis, regrow limbs, or harness the elements to freeze, paralyze or burn your foes!  Example abilities include Black Hole which sucks in enemy pawns before collapsing on itself dealing damage, Neuro-Nanites which reduce cognitive functions until a pawn is incapacitated or creating a Napalm Wave of fire to dispatch those pesky raiders!

Magical abilities focus on harnessing the powers of nature, psionics, and light to reflect projectiles, summon golems, or create mirages to confuse enemies, and also maybe summon tornados made of fire to damage and cause heat stroke to large groups of raiders!  Other abilities include light orbs which automatically strike out at nearby foes, infuse plants with mana to complete their growth cycle, and good ole chain lightning.

Ultimates
These are meant to be game changers, but still somewhat balanced.  They will be very expensive to create and replace if for some reason they are destroyed. 

For science, summon a giant mech that provides nanite shields or nanite infused rounds to deal additional damage for all friendly pawns.  Or maybe you'd like to turn your map into a nanite colony and increase research rates and reduce power consumption for the whole map.  If those don't tickle your fancy...then maybe you'd like to harness the entire satellite network to rain down orbital strikes and anti-grain warheads on your enemies.

For magic, your Astral Guardian can lower cooldowns and provide stone shields for all of your pawns.  The Tree of Life increases the speed of all plant growth and provides regenerative capabilities to all friendly pawns in the map!  Or...tap into the mana of the Rim to summon a maelstrom to throw meteors, hail, and tornados at those who dare attack your sanctum!

Expected Release/Assistance Needed
I'm only a part-time modder having a full time job and a family, so I put no time table on this mod.  Ideally I'd love to have it releasable within 3 months.  If anyone would like to help out with the coding of abilities, art, balancing, playtesting, or in any other capacity I would welcome the help.  I'll be setting up a roadmap to help keep track of all of the work being done on this project.

I hope you guys will enjoy this just as much as I have designing it.