[1.0] Gen-spliced Xenohumans

Started by Albion, July 17, 2018, 11:14:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Call me Arty

Quote from: Albion on October 15, 2018, 10:44:47 AM
Well to be fair it didn't help much and put the mod onto the backburner for a while. However I still plan to release this mod eventually once I get great sprites and enough time to hammer out various backstories and other coding stuff.

Alrighty then, wish you luck. Too bad about the creative differences. I still look forward to release.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

Planetfall

"I'm mostly in the planning/designing phase right now. I'm looking for input and suggestions. Please keep in mind that I'll try to create a balanced experience. Every subrace will have buffs and drawbacks. I want to create interesting races resulting in new playstyles, not the perfect race everyone will try to get.
What I also need is a talented artist that wants to create some sprites for some of the new subraces that look similar to the vanilla Rimworld artstyle. I'll definitly need sprites for the bear-, wolf- and scaleman but also maybe the shortman.

I'll keep you informed and am looking forward to your opinions."

I've been writing down plans for xenohumans engineered to live on comets. I have some notes (with some typos i bet) and sprite art in the attachments. Neither are finished. I want to redo the head sprite and I haven't made any other skin patterns besides the current one. I plan to have 3 or four options for head shape and 15 or so body patterns (the tattoo like pattern, not the body shape), as well as 10 or so different colors for both the base carapace and pattern, to tell individuals apart.

I'd also be happy to help with sprite work if that is still an issue for you.

Imagur Link Here
https://imgur.com/a/MOJ1i7p

Project details and semi outline of goal attached below

[attachment deleted due to age]
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

Planetfall

Backstory: After the various mechanoid wars, many systems had much of their void infrastructure turned into drifting clouds of dust and gas. This conundrum weakened economies ravaged by years, decades, of war. Fearing complete collapse, one glitertechsystem turned to the ancient art of Bio forming as baseline humans require a lot of expensive and bulky equipment to work in space, and new mechanoids could be suborned by Malevolent AIs again. The result was an entirely self-sufficient void ecology that was both cheap to set up on a comet or asteroid, and more difficult to hack than even humans (low psionic sensitivity). The first seed ships were launched into the system's comet halo, and while many failed, dozens more took root. Simple plants grew, first fed by the seed ship's supply of radioactive material and volatiles the plants grew large enough to start breaking up the ice in search of radiation and food. Soon, cold gardens drifted through the void... and then the first gardeners awoke. Most baselines call them "lobsters" as their scientific is name ten syllables long and of course the name the lobsters call themselves is unpronounceable by humans (though some tap dancers can almost 'say' it). As soon as the first Lobsters grew of age, raised by carefully monitored machine personas and taught remotely by the brightest human minds, they were found to be extremely skilled miners, void gardeners, and pilots. Soon the first lobsters were seeding other nearby comets with void life and sending volatiles down well to the inner system. Buoyed by their success, the baseline Biotechs and Hab leaders launched thousands more seedships, these new ones now equipped with Johnson-Tanaka Drives.
And so the lobsters spread throughout the stars staying mostly content in their place in society. Why would they want to live anywhere else? Anyway else? This life of mining and living and dreaming under the ice and stars was truly the life they were made for.
Alas, some unfortunate individuals no longer live on some nice comet. They live in a hot crushing hell, where every step is agony, where every breeze of thick wet air stings their unblinking eyes, where the temperature threatens to boil them alive in their own carapaces. A place known as a "habitable terrestrial planet".
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_

Albion

Interesting suggestion Planetfall.
However I feel like that kind of race would deserve it's own race mod since it's rather different in apperance and stats compared to
baseline humans.

In other news:
Rebelrot offered to do some sprites for me. He started out with the wolfman and the ones he did so far look very good. I'll share them at a later point. Once they're all done I could finish up and release a first alpha or beta version of this mod. Expect it some time early to mid november.

Planetfall

Ok, I'm looking forward to the release.
thanks for the feedback btw.
_Carl Sagan_

alien0gamer

Quote from: mcduff on July 23, 2018, 05:41:12 AM
QuoteSure there could be the insurance worker soldiermorph or a corporate CEO designermate but those should be rather rare.
Genuine question: why?

I'm approaching this from a writing/worldbuilding/storytelling point of view, but why do you think that these populations would be isolated and unchanged, given that the galaxy is apparently a vast mixed up batch of various humans from all over the place? Even the existing "vat grown soldier" trait isn't that restrictive.
Are you picturing these people as sterile, so they can only be vat grown? Is everyone first generation? Are there no planets where breakaway batallions of superpowered soldiers settled to get away from war, separated for hundreds of years from the rest of the galaxy, from which some inquisitive travellers might set out?

Think less human, more genetically engineered slave soldiers.

Albion

Thanks to the awesome rebelrot the mod is progressing.
He created some nice sprites for the wolfmen. Here is a sample of a happy wolfmen family:

Unfortunately I'm a bit busy with work and stuff but I hope to release a beta version soon-ish.
Sprites for the scalemen are still missing but will be coming up next.

leestriter

Maybe a plant man, needing less food and being a better farmer but with fire and darkness vulnerabilities. Or a sort of hawkman, with incredible sight and speed but very fragile. Maybe a group breed to be harvested for organs, with an immunity bonus. A manbat or batman, darkness advantages bad in sunlight? Just ideas. Love the wolfman sprites.

Kirby23590

Awesome!

I can't wait for a tallmen colony! along with soldiermorphs sleeping in cyrosleep in case of raids along with some regular human and wolfmen doing grunt work there! ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Mumin

Hello,
In stargate sg1 there was a group of genetically modified people who was created by one of fake gods to learn how people will change in the future, he changed them so they were extra happy and learn their language basicly in hours, but they lived only 100 days, full mature after week(for fast evolution). So i was thinking how much you can lower their lifespan?
Second idea is to create geneticlly unstable race with high skills, short life and very big skill decay, if you could find one of those guys in ancient cryptosleep casket they would have very high skills (20), you would recruit them in 2 days then they would have lower skills  (18) and after month or so they would have 0 level in every skill and they would'nt be able to learn anything.
Those  people are basicly mutants so third idea is to create sickness forseen for your xenos that would make them retarded slowly:
-hey doctor why i dont feel very well...
-your DNA is decaying so your body starts to malfunction, your insides are changeing into pulp and your heart will stop in a day or two, let me give you this herbs so they wont tell me that i didnt tried to save you.

Albion

Thanks for the different race ideas but for now I'll limit it to the ones I already proposed in the first post.
However I can still expand at a later point and will keep any suggestions in mind.

If you got any balancing ideas for the existing race ideas please let me know. I'm still trying to tweak them a bit so they're actually interesting and not just stat boosts.

I might actually scrap the tallmen and dwarfmen/littlemen. So far I haven't really come up with any interesting stat adjustments that make them fun to play with and make for interesting changed gameplay. The soldiermorphs, designer mates, wolfmen and scalemen will definitely be released though.

In other news: Rebelrot created an additional head for the wolfmen.

He'll move on to create scalemen sprites next. Once they are all done I expect a beta release soon-ish.
Again: I'm very busy at work right now but I expect to have some more time in 2-3 weeks so I can release a first version of this mod.

leestriter

Maybe some sort of shut off or killswitch added to soldiermorphs by the creator in case they rebelled? And maybe tallmen could be salvaged as spacers (maybe from generation ships?) instead of low g planets, good scientific and technical skills but generally slower and less resilient? I don't see any use for the dwarf. Maybe wolfman or scaleman could eat directly from corpses without penalty, or as the only food source? Maybe a hibernation state for one of the races, basically a built in stasis?

Kirby23590

dwarves or shortmen, could be actually hard to hit since their sizes are shorter than a human but in the fiction primer it's said that the gravity dwarves have for short and underground dwellings, which have the cabin fever or outdoors need removed since they prefer to be living in their safe bunkers or mountainhomes rather than living outside.

Gravity dwarves i think they could have a chance to replace mercenary grenadiers since from reading about dwarves in different types of media and fiction they make excellent miners and sappers and also demolition experts.

As for tallmen, since they have weaker bones or body parts from low-g adapted gravity enviroments, they should be more better at being scientists, janitors or even artisans or workers.

Tallmen could play the role of long-range weapons, they are good at using sniper rifles or bolt-action and charge lances. But in melee combat or when someone sneaks a shotgunner and blasts the tallman in the face, they fall easily, and it's up for the normal humans or his xenohuman cousins to do their work of fighting instead of them, they prefer it indirectly with sniping and support instead of direct assaults.

I'm fine and happy with soldiermorphs, but i love playing colony with dwarves or a tallguy who sits in the corner of the colony, who just makes sculptures or makes weapons in the smithy. :D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Muminek

Well,
proper food is good idea, tallmens should eat more prepared food vegetable prefferd as its hard to get meat in space outposts and small planets. and every shortmen love beer and buffalo ribbs, right?

My idea to balance it is to make all of xenos harder to heal as human doctors have limited knowledge about their organisms (maybe subskill xenomedicine).

Tallmens should prefer things like skygazing, enjoy learning and watching through telescope, be more affraid of dark. Need less spacious interior, but faster developing that "im prissoned inside" debuff ("im accustomed to live in small rooms but i need to see sky and stars on a daily basis". You can't trap that guy in a mountain). Tallmens should have weaker bones that are easier to shatter. ;D

XeoNovaDan

Just posting so I can follow this easily :P