2% chance of muffalo revenge? Really?

Started by Zombull, July 19, 2018, 10:20:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

Except every single goddamn time I hunt one it goes manhunter.

This game and its bullshit percentages.

bbqftw

2% of the time, it happens every time.

5thHorseman

I've hunted multiple muffalo and haven't been hit. I guess we balance it out.

Rhinos on the other hand...
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

mndfreeze

Yeah I complained about this same thing in the main 1.0 thread after losing multiple colonies to it near the start of the game.  Was super frustrating.  IMO, herbivores/pack animals that are PREY items shouldn't really ever be going revenge mode unless you are super close or unless its a specific manhunter event trigger, not a hunting trigger.  I can understand for specific species like elephants and rhinos, and even the emu (because lulz) but most critters that are prey items for predators would just run like a mofo.

I think the chances need to be halved still.  I'd like it to be 1% at rifle range or less, because the 2% still triggered on me way way way to often, which is generally a death sentence at the very start of your game, especially in naked brutality or tribal.

Greep

Well, if it's 2% per shot, and you need to shoot it 5 times with your rifle to down it, that's a 10% chance which is actually high.  Well more like an 8% chance or something.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

giltirn

5thHorseman

Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Listen1

I believe that the percentage is for Taming, and with Hunting it turns a higher.

But I cannot attest it, I've noticed that I never got a manhunter muffalo for taming, only for hunting it.

Bolgfred

I don't have the numbers to make the math, but the description says it's 2% change on taking revenge when attacked from a distance x to the animal. Attacks frrom closer have a higher chance.

Now cross your heart, sir: Did you go hunting with your molotovs again?
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Serenity

It's maybe a bit high considering how often you hunt animals

But in my current game I've hunted entire herds of muffalo, deer and elk and was attacked only once

Tynan

You are supposed to be afraid of hunting these animals. It's a risk. You get food/leather for little effort, and you pay with risk.

There are also no-revenge animals, farming, foraging, trading for food, etc.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Sirsir

2% chance Alpaca revenge, first time it gets tickled all 5 of them converge on my colonist... Tis a risk you take.

Its usually worthwhile to split them up with a rifle, take advantage of the newish flee mechanic

TheMeInTeam

Maybe one day using automatic hunting won't be a false choice.

Until that day we're stuck with draft hunting to be safe.

User was warned for this post: There are so many better, more neutral ways to express this (perfectly valid) idea without infusing your message with resentment or a sense of victimhood. Rule 2 specifically prohibits this style of expression.

Mehni

The real question is, why do emus have a 100% chance or revenge while cougars only have a 10% chance? That just doesn't make sense.

Aerial

Quote from: Mehni on July 20, 2018, 11:48:12 AM
The real question is, why do emus have a 100% chance or revenge while cougars only have a 10% chance? That just doesn't make sense.

That appears to be an in-joke because emus are obnoxiously aggressive birds.

In general, I am comfortable with the manhunter-when-hunted mechanic.  It fits with the other animal-related absurdities in the Rimworld universe.  For playability/balance, I think the really valuable animals (thrumbos, rhinos, elephants and megasloths) should have 100% manhunter chances, too (or at least very, very high). 

Because muffalo are milk-givers and have previously been pretty docile, I think players tend to view them as domesticated animals more than wild animals and expect them to behave like Wooly cattle, more or less.  Given how difficult actual cattle are to acquire (I've had little luck finding them with traders, anyway), they're an awesome option to have.

It might make sense to make muffalo a little less valuable from a hide perspective, i.e. lower the defense rating of their hide) so they can continue to be safe/easy to domesticate.

Also, should it even be possible to sell meat to trade caravans?  Wouldn't it just spoil before they could get it home?  I can see selling raw meat to orbital traders - presumably they have refrigeration - but caravans are all hauling stuff on pack animals.  That also might make it reasonable from a balance perspective to make normal prey/herd animals safer to hunt.