Electric stove VS Campfire Skill

Started by Skryabin, July 21, 2018, 02:56:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skryabin

Is there any logical explanation why for construction Electric Stove (and other production/furniture pieces) you do not need any contraction skill but for Campfire you need minimum skill 3?

Greep

TBF, not that I personally like any skill checks for construction, have you ever tried to make a campfire without a match (even with one)?  It's way harder than it looks.
1.0 Mods: Raid size limiter:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42721.0

MineTortoise:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=42792.0
HELLO!

(WIPish)Strategy Mode: The experienced player's "vanilla"
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=43044.0

Skryabin

Quote from: Greep on July 21, 2018, 03:27:36 PM
TBF, not that I personally like any skill checks for construction, have you ever tried to make a campfire without a match (even with one)?  It's way harder than it looks.
I agree that making a campfire might be a challenge. But could it be more difficult then building an electrical stove?  :o

A RANG MA

I can't check right now, but I thought that it was a fueled stove that doesn't require any construction skill, and that the electric stove requires construction 4. Even so, I agree that a campfire should be easier to build than a stove.

mndfreeze

IMO, a campfire shouldn't have a construction skill base above 1 if anything.  We mastered fire a loooonnnnnggggg time ago as a species.  For realisms sake, a fueled stove still needs a fire to cook its food, so the pawn is somehow magically making fire for that...  Same with torches...

From a gameplay mechanic side of things, tribals, naked start, an 'I lost everything and need to recover on a new tile', type of scenarios need at least a basic way to cook food if you roll a pawn with 0 construction.

Skryabin

Quote from: mndfreeze on July 21, 2018, 11:08:48 PM
IMO, a campfire shouldn't have a construction skill base above 1 if anything.  We mastered fire a loooonnnnnggggg time ago as a species.  For realisms sake, a fueled stove still needs a fire to cook its food, so the pawn is somehow magically making fire for that...  Same with torches...

From a gameplay mechanic side of things, tribals, naked start, an 'I lost everything and need to recover on a new tile', type of scenarios need at least a basic way to cook food if you roll a pawn with 0 construction.

Thank you! (for understanding)  8)

Canute

As a species maybe, but to bad we don't have a genetic memory.
If you don't got trouble to setup a campfire, ok.
But maybe you should try and let some friend/family made some campfire. With or without matches/lighter and no modern firemaking tools.
You might be surprised how many people will fail.

Injured Muffalo

This has been patched.

I'm amazed no one mentioned this. Reverted?
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

mndfreeze

Quote from: Canute on July 22, 2018, 03:23:19 AM
As a species maybe, but to bad we don't have a genetic memory.
If you don't got trouble to setup a campfire, ok.
But maybe you should try and let some friend/family made some campfire. With or without matches/lighter and no modern firemaking tools.
You might be surprised how many people will fail.

Rimworld crashlanders are not only you and me, from earth with our current tech level and knowledge.  I know I can't build an electric stove, but I at least can build a fire. Maybe not well, but for sure easier than the stove...

And again, the fueled stove has a fire built into it to cook the food... how is the pawn making that fire but can't make a camp fire? 

If it was patched then hurray!  My current game started with a decent constructor so I notice. I was assuming based on OP's post that it was still that way.

MajorFordson

I think it's safe to assume all the pawns have a space-age pocket knife on them which includes a fire starter, given they're building walls and such with their "bare hands"

Canute

Yep, multitool ! :-)
Or they are all Iron Fist trained and can chop tree's and mine stone with bare hands ! :-)

Skryabin

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on July 22, 2018, 03:27:05 AM
This has been patched.

I'm amazed no one mentioned this. Reverted?

Wow! How nice! No construction skills needed for Campfire in 1.0! And level 4 required to build an Electric Stove. I am glad it moves in right direction. Thanx!