Death is not the end of the game.

Started by Kelfka, October 30, 2013, 01:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelfka

What if the RimWorld story was really about the colony and not the characters and the game continued even after everybody died.

The first people arrive and start building the colony. Disaster strikes and every body dies.
Why does the game have to end there?
The game fast-forward events until the next batch of refuges comes along. They find bones and a half destroyed colony. They start where the other refuges left off and try not make the same mistakes. Suddenly, pirates come along and enslaves the entire group.
The Pirate King liking the place decides to make the colony his new base of operation. The steady flow of slaves coming to the colony is lucrative. With his funds he decides to build major defences. Every thing was going fine until the squirrels revolted and ate everyone.
200 hundred years pass. The colony is in a state of disrepair. Three refuges crash land and find a old pirate base. The base is sealed. They will have to dig tunnels to find what is inside. What will they find? Salvation or disaster?

Tynan

This is actually a really entertaining idea.

If you lose to the raiders... you become the raiders :P
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

MrDemonic

Then the game starts with you controlling a raider colony and going out to raid other colonies haha.

Gazz

Interesting twist.

It's not a matter of winning or losing a game.

It's the tale of... a colony.

Tynan

Funny thing is it wouldn't even be that hard. Raiders are generated with all the stats and identity needed to be colonists (because you can recruit them).

Semmy

Quote from: Tynan on October 30, 2013, 05:21:13 PM
Funny thing is it wouldn't even be that hard. Raiders are generated with all the stats and identity needed to be colonists (because you can recruit them).

So basicly if i play my cards right i can play with my pirate king?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Quote from: Semmy on October 30, 2013, 05:50:03 PM
Quote from: Tynan on October 30, 2013, 05:21:13 PM

So basicly if i play my cards right i can play with my pirate king?

You could already do that if you captured him and recruited him :)

SteveAdamo

Quote from: Tynan on October 30, 2013, 07:09:01 PM
You could already do that if you captured him and recruited him :)

inception? :p

will certainly make your tactics a bit different when facing your own pirate creation...

Raufgar

My my, this is a very interesting idea :D A sort of sandbox-y generational play! With Pirates! Would highly suggest this as a play option Tynan XD
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

Gazz

So how would it work?

What conditions must be met for the player to be allowed to switch sides?
  • A certain disparity of military power?

• Every colonist dead?
    That would preclude you (as your new happy family of raiders) capturing any of the former inhabitants as prisoners.

• No condition at all.
    You can switch anytime you please.

• Entire colony deserted.
    Respawn new colonists after the colony has "fallen into disepair" with animals living in it.

AspenShadow

I'm liking the idea a lot  ;D

But I'm hoping this will be an unlockable option somehow as opposed to something in straight from the beginning. When all your colonists are dead you now have three options: Keep Watching, End Game, Death is only the beginning...

Kelfka

I'm not sure the player would want to switch right away. You maybe have 10 guys/gals that are good at shooting but raiders aren't known for there growing, cooking and research skills. You better hope the farm boy survived the attack and can be re-recruited or you're going to have a food problem.

Quote from: AspenShadow on October 31, 2013, 08:22:46 AM
I'm liking the idea a lot  ;D

But I'm hoping this will be an unlockable option somehow as opposed to something in straight from the beginning. When all your colonists are dead you now have three options: Keep Watching, End Game, Death is only the beginning...

It would indeed be a nice achievement reward.

British

It would not be an achievement per se, as they won't happen (and that's a good thing).

You could also actually have it available from the get-go, but only on higher difficulty settings/AI/whatnot...

Gazz

Quote from: British on October 31, 2013, 10:38:57 AMYou could also actually have it available from the get-go, but only on higher difficulty settings/AI/whatnot...
This isn't a feature that makes the game harder or easier.

It changes the focus from being a game about your colonists to being a game about the colony.

Christian

Quote from: Kelfka on October 30, 2013, 01:03:57 PM
What if the RimWorld story was really about the colony and not the characters and the game continued even after everybody died.

The first people arrive and start building the colony. Disaster strikes and every body dies.
The game fast-forward events until the next batch of refuges comes along. They find bones and a half destroyed colony. They start where the other refuges left off and try not make the same mistakes. Suddenly, pirates come along and enslaves the entire group.
The Pirate King liking the place decides to make the colony his new base of operation. The steady flow of slaves coming to the colony is lucrative. With his funds he decides to build major defences. Every thing was going fine until the squirrels revolted and ate everyone.
200 hundred years pass. The colony is in a state of disrepair. Three refuges crash land and find a old pirate base. The base is sealed. They will have to dig tunnels to find what is inside. What will they find? Salvation or disaster?
I love this idea. It's like the ultimate endless mode.