Choosing colony "Culture" when starting a map

Started by anotherrimworld, July 24, 2018, 10:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anotherrimworld

There are times when I want to play as an evil group. Forcing everybody to have a psychopath trait somewhat solves the problem but not exactly. It would be nice to have a general culture that I could choose for the colony. This could effect how people react to things like selling slaves, revenge kills, maybe number of kills, prices from other colonies, etc etc. It was always strange to me seeing colonists getting so upset over prisoner treatment when that same prisoner may have just killed or maimed my colonists. Obviously each new benefit would need to be offset with disadvantage. Maybe changing cultures mid-game would be possible at the cost of a mood debuff for a year(?)

Grimelord82

I like the idea of this.
Since pawns are primarily modified by traits, we know certain things are possible. We've got Psychopath, Transhumanist, Wimp, Masochist that all change pawns up, so the system has room for additions.

Can you outline exactly what you'd want from an "evil" group? Maybe it can be a new trait that modifies other things.
Ex.:
Remove the social aspect from Psychopath so moods are easier to manage, but add a Sadist bit so they like hurting people.

AileTheAlien

Couldn't you just reject all pawns that aren't some combination of psychopath, cannibal, etc? You could also play with a custom scenario, and increase the odds or guarantee certain traits for new pawns in your colony. I don't think a whole new system or major overhaul is needed.

Call me Arty

Quote from: AileTheAlien on July 24, 2018, 02:46:43 PM
Couldn't you just reject all pawns that aren't some combination of psychopath, cannibal, etc? You could also play with a custom scenario, and increase the odds or guarantee certain traits for new pawns in your colony. I don't think a whole new system or major overhaul is needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that affects all pawns. Then, it's less of a cannibal colony and more of a cannibal planet (trademarking for future use as a B-movie title). If you use something like prepare carefully to make your colonists a certain way, there's no way to convert nw recruits or ensure that those unique pawns don't just. . . y'know. . . die horribly.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

anotherrimworld

My only problem with setting up the scenario to have guaranteed traits like psychopath is that I'm using up a valuable trait slot. Also, only accepting people like this into your colony isn't sustainable unless you, like before, set it up to have a high or guaranteed chance.

What I'd like to see are different packages of moodlets that are made to play out in different directions than the one rule set given at the moment. A group of raider moodlets could be "Let attacker escape" - happiness per raider, "Witnessed ally ascend to Valhalla" + happiness, "Burned an enemy item/structure" + happiness. The pirate faction is the only faction that will do business with you, etc.

These changes could be grouped together to steer the colony into a different playstyle while still allowing the other trait slots be filled with random stuff so each character isn't exactly the same.

Another culture could promote nomadic living with bonuses centered around moving around with debuffs around settling in one spot and progressing the tech.

There must be a reason why other raiders in rimworld continuously attack my base with no regard for their own safety or giant trading parties walk the land without fearing manhunter packs. I'd like to do the same and be rewarded for the playstyle

cactusmeat

There's already cthulu cults but i'd rather have a rimworld spin on it than that outdated mod...

I'd love to accomplish what tribes can do with trading groups and nomadic people, as well as being a pirate and living off of killing people and taking their stuff.

I'm not certain forcing the player into a playstyle is correct, but I do want the option to be evil.

If the mood/social thing ever gets reworked to include colony culture it should look at what is expected of the colony, draw the mood values from that. So if you're supposed to be evil and you aren't being evil, it slowly transforms your base into a good one where you stop getting certain moodlets, and start getting other ones.

It could work in a number of ways, even just as a scenario with some imagination.