Discovered Passions

Started by Zombull, July 22, 2018, 05:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zombull

Pawns with few or no passions should have a chance to discover a new passion as they do work. The younger the pawn is and the fewer passions they already have, the more likely they should be to discover a passion.

syterth

I really love this idea!

I think traumatic events or inspiration events could influence this as well.

For example, a pawn has a near death experience, and suddenly gains a passion for medicine so they can try to heal the world. Or after a huge bloodbath, a pawn decides violence is no longer for them.

I think passions and trait shifting, while relatively rare/hard to experience, could lend a simple, but effective depth.

Klomster

I'd say trait shifting shouldn't be rare by current in game standards.

But SUPER RARE.
Since having your main combatant who is a vatgrown soldier suddenly becoming pacifist can ruin a colonies fighting chances.
Plus it doesn't make too much sense.

But gaining and losing passions is more reasonable, seeing the colony won't break from someone important suddenly being unable to do their job because Randy decided screw you.
Although i'd say it should be more raise passion events than lower passion.

pablo603

Hauls 15k corn every new growth.

Decides he isn't worth this.

iNcApAbLe oF dUmB lAbOr

*Banish colonist*

Zombull

Going a bit off the rails here.

My post said nothing about losing passions or abilities or gaining traits of any kind.

Only discovering new passions for pawns who are young and have few passions.

pablo603

@Zombull

I was referring to what syterth wrote. Sorry, should've quoted him.

AileTheAlien

Gaining or losing passions sounds really cool. If I saw notifications from the game like this, it would add a lot of flavour, and also make me change how I use that pawn:
- "Because of his recent illness, Joe has gained a burning passion for Tailoring. He wants to become an expert before he dies!"
- "Because of her recent illness, Jill has lost some of her passion for Mining. She is still passionate about it, but it's not a Burning Passion. She just doesn't feel like its worth the precious time she has left on this world."

The phrasing could be a bit less cheesy, but those both sound like cool events to me. :)

Planetfall

So near death experiences would have a chance to alter a person? hmmmm so if you have a pawn you don't like you can beat them to a pulp in a sadistic rage in the gize of therapy and self improvement?
Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.
_Carl Sagan_