Overworld

Started by Quasarrgames, June 24, 2014, 10:08:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasarrgames

Loaded up changelog, saw this:

June 23
Started basic overworld generation (Alpha 6).
Created ship graphics.
Bugfixes.

Overworld generation...

now what is that? Is there going to be an underworld? Is there going to be another world that is over the current one? Is it too early to be asking since it's all the way off in alpha 6? (in which case sorry i'll stop asking about it)
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

johnpaul_riley

I don't think Alpha 6 is that far away ... When Ty's changelog is mostly bugfixes ... that usually means a new alpha is about to burst on the scene!

MrRobSteel

Quote from: johnpaul_riley on June 25, 2014, 02:55:37 AM
I don't think Alpha 6 is that far away ... When Ty's changelog is mostly bugfixes ... that usually means a new alpha is about to burst on the scene!

Nice thought, but we're only on Alpha 4 right now.

This is obviously a feature slated for the release after next. If I had to guess the Overworld would be the planet outside of the area we currently have. So maybe we get the chance to raid the pirates or other settlements in future.

vagineer1

Quote from: MrRobSteel on June 25, 2014, 04:06:40 AM
Quote from: johnpaul_riley on June 25, 2014, 02:55:37 AM

Nice thought, but we're only on Alpha 4 right now.

This is obviously a feature slated for the release after next. If I had to guess the Overworld would be the planet outside of the area we currently have. So maybe we get the chance to raid the pirates or other settlements in future.

If we can travel to other areas I hope it will play out like Fallout 2's Map Travelling System: Keep moving until you encounter something.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Headshotkill

I think it's something like in DF where it first generates the entire world!

WE GOT THE FIRST PICTURES!

http://puu.sh/9IuIJ/feaa82b70c.jpg

http://puu.sh/9IVAT/797c07ce9a.jpg

Tyna's twitter:

https://twitter.com/TynanSylvester

Architect

Oh I know what this is. Tynan talked a little while ago about having a system similar to Space Bases where an entire map gets generated, and you choose a particular section of it to land on and make your own. Basically it'll be what we have now in terms of normal game play, but at the beginning we will have a little more choice as to what kind of place we get to play in.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: Architect on June 25, 2014, 07:08:46 AM
Oh I know what this is. Tynan talked a little while ago about having a system similar to Space Bases where an entire map gets generated, and you choose a particular section of it to land on and make your own. Basically it'll be what we have now in terms of normal game play, but at the beginning we will have a little more choice as to what kind of place we get to play in.

Tynan never seizes to amaze me.
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

vagineer1

If that is the truth then what is the point of the rest of the world generating? We'd still be stuck in a portion of it.
You see this tank?

Mattk50

Quote from: vagineer1 on June 25, 2014, 10:45:41 AM

If that is the truth then what is the point of the rest of the world generating? We'd still be stuck in a portion of it.

positioning of other colonies and tribes, etc? maybe we'd get to raid them?

vagineer1

Quote from: Mattk50 on June 25, 2014, 11:12:58 AM
Quote from: vagineer1 on June 25, 2014, 10:45:41 AM

positioning of other colonies and tribes, etc? maybe we'd get to raid them?

In that case it sounds fun. I do hope we can travel to the other settlements.
You see this tank?

Architect

I don't think so. The idea is that it generates, and you pick the spot that best suites what you want to build in, it gives you a chance to see where you're going, and choose a different place if you don't like it basically.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Headshotkill

Quote from: Architect on June 25, 2014, 01:12:37 PM
I don't think so. The idea is that it generates, and you pick the spot that best suites what you want to build in, it gives you a chance to see where you're going, and choose a different place if you don't like it basically.

I thought we crash-landed, I don't think if you're ship is about to get ripped open you're gonna take the time to choose your landing spot.
Maybe we should get the option to migrate after we've landed...

EDIT: Nevermind, here's Tynan own explanation:

Quote from: Tynan on June 24, 2014, 10:19:44 PM
Please don't abuse text sizes on the forum.

As for the world generation, it's just a skeleton feature for now. I just want it in there structurally so we can have the code look a bit more like its final format instead of querying into a fake world that doesn't even exist. Hopefully in A6 you'll be able to choose a landing site with some basic mountainoutness/fertility/rainfall variation, that's all.

Architect

Quote from: Headshotkill on June 25, 2014, 03:00:00 PM
Quote from: Architect on June 25, 2014, 01:12:37 PM

I thought we crash-landed, I don't think if you're ship is about to get ripped open you're gonna take the time to choose your landing spot.

EDIT: Nevermind, here's Tynan own explanation:

Quote from: Tynan on June 24, 2014, 10:19:44 PM
Please don't abuse text sizes on the forum.

As for the world generation, it's just a skeleton feature for now. I just want it in there structurally so we can have the code look a bit more like its final format instead of querying into a fake world that doesn't even exist. Hopefully in A6 you'll be able to choose a landing site with some basic mountainoutness/fertility/rainfall variation, that's all.

Don't shoot the messenger :P

Tynan

Quote from: Headshotkill on June 25, 2014, 03:00:00 PM

The idea is you choose it when you're in the escape pod.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Booster Gold

Tynan,Will we ever be able to leave the original map? Would be Amazing to send off some explorers and find treasure/ruins or visit other outposts like how the factions visit our colonies.
The greatest hero you've never heard of!