Take players best bases and put them in the game as rival settlements

Started by the_red_kraken, July 24, 2018, 05:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_red_kraken

So, I really like invading rival settlements. However, they are not that impressive. This is kind of a ripoff from prison architect idea (they have a prison escape mod that lets you use players prisons).

I think it would be a great addition to Rimworld, we could use a system similar to theirs. Players can upload their bases to steam, or whatever platform, and others could download them and have them spawn as rival settlements. That way it would be a nearly infinite variety (as much as you want to download) as well as creativity from players into building truly hard to invade bases, or whatever kind of madness of a colony players choose to build (and you to download them)

What are your thoughts on this?

cactusmeat

the other factions' bases aren't quite as large, so in a lot of cases our base wouldn't fit.
I'd rather not have to attack into a killbox in the side of a mountain while mortars rain upon me. If they could use traps and ied's against us then, this would be both more realistic and more brutal. the rewards for killing such a base would have to be substantial. We should have the option to settle in their base once we kill them off. I can imagine their faction would want it back and send more raids than normal.

I'd much rather they be a generalization of popular strategies used by players and be implemented without my control.

the_red_kraken

Well the whole point is that you get to choose really... Download challenges, easier challengers, just random players bases, or nothing at all.

AileTheAlien

This seems like a massive undertaking for what will probably be limited value. It would probably be better to just tweak whatever algorithm makes enemy bases right now. Give it a few different layout randomizers or whatever, for additional variety.

zeodas

Very good idea! I would really like to build different types of bases for other players to invade and see what happen.

the_red_kraken

Quote from: AileTheAlien on July 25, 2018, 09:40:25 AM
This seems like a massive undertaking for what will probably be limited value. It would probably be better to just tweak whatever algorithm makes enemy bases right now. Give it a few different layout randomizers or whatever, for additional variety.

Yeah, I'm not sure how feasible it is, just that Prison Architect has one and works really well and *looks* relatively simple. The bonus point is that, in the future, players will always build better bases, and we could always have them in the game.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: AileTheAlien on July 25, 2018, 09:40:25 AM

I'd have to agree with this. It's a decent idea, but it just doesn't seem worth the effort.

Serenity

It would work with a small starter base maybe. But as noted not with a fully developed late-game base

bobucles

It would be pretty neat if you could upload your dead colony as a "bones file" in the cloud. That way you can see all sorts of dead things. Obviously most of the wealth would need to be plundered and the map in ruins, but it'd provide a virtually unlimited source of new maps.

Third_Of_Five

Quote from: bobucles on July 26, 2018, 02:30:59 PM
It would be pretty neat if you could upload your dead colony as a "bones file" in the cloud. That way you can see all sorts of dead things. Obviously most of the wealth would need to be plundered and the map in ruins, but it'd provide a virtually unlimited source of new maps.

I like this idea actually, but again, that just seems like more work for little reward. I'd like to hear what Tynan thinks of this, it's a very interesting idea.

the_red_kraken

Quote from: Third_Of_Five on July 26, 2018, 05:32:09 PM
Quote from: bobucles on July 26, 2018, 02:30:59 PM

I like this idea actually, but again, that just seems like more work for little reward. I'd like to hear what Tynan thinks of this, it's a very interesting idea.

Hopefully we can summon him