Tynan/Ludeon Appreciation Thread

Started by DubskiDude, July 25, 2018, 02:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DubskiDude

I try not to be too sappy, but I think you should give credit where credit is due.

For a long time I had a neutral/negative perception of indie devs after I had a bad experience with a particular bunch who lost their minds after I criticized them. And then I came across Tynan and Ludeon. It seems that the devs here are genuinely interested in feedback, and care quite a lot about their game. They aren't some unapproachable monolith like an ordinary dev studio. I can imagine that being this involved with the community comes with its downsides, like irrate fans and dumb feedback, but its reasonable to assume that the good outweighs the bad. Rimworld is shaping up very nicely, and a 96% approval rating on Steam overwhelmingly supports that.

Overall, Ludeon is up there on my list of favorite indie devs, next to Re-Logic (Terraria). Keep up the good work, Ludeon devs. Also I like your hair, Tynan.

Feel free to add appreciation of your own. Let's butter these boys up.

viperwasp

Don't confuse sappy with genuine appreciation. I never like looking at things as being to sappy. Sometimes we just have to say things as they are. Also haha I misread this thread as Tynan/Ludeon Application for a moment. lol For a moment I'm like they made a specific post about hiring people? What does this mean? lol

Now not everyone is going to feel as strongly about Tynan/Ludeon as we do. I already had to explain to a couple of my friends that Tynan was not abandoning his game when he went on about a 3-6 month vacation a 1-2 years back etc. I knew Tynans intentions but a lot of people were worried. Because many indie games don't get properly completed. But I really did not fear because I read the forums. I knew how involved the devs are. And yes Ludeon is a great development studio that supports feedback, communication and ultimately accomplishes goals. I stood up to my friends and insured them that Rimworld is going to get completed.

I want to extend this Appreciation to the whole community as well. Top Appreciation will always go to Tynan and Ludeon. Because of the open communication is the main reason we have a strong community. A great game is probably also a big part of it. But we have people here who are not even part of the Dev team helping to find bugs, assist players with issues. There is always downsides to having an open community but the good out weight the bad multiples times over.

Even more specifically I want to thank all the mod developers. I am so thankful that the mod makers exist and they are apart of this community. Vanilla Rimworld is a great game. But I openly admit that I will probably will never again play Rimworld without any mods at all. Because the mods are top quality. Sometimes I play very close to vanilla. Like only quality of life mods etc. But that's what I mean so many types of mods that you can choose as the player. I love how Ludeon seems to take some great mod ideas and put them into the game itself. Sometimes this may just be a conincidence and the Dev Team may just have the same idea. But other times it's directly inspired by the mod itself. Which shows that Tynan has the proper outlook on mods. Because there would be no community and no mods if the developers did not support it. And I always wonder how developers feel about mods? A developer may be like what? My game is not good enough the way it is? You want to change various aspects of my game? My image of the game is wrong? That's the negative way of looking at it.

In reality when was the last time you wanted to mod a game that you hated? Never right? The mods work well because the base vanilla game is near perfect. Thanks Tynan and whole Dev Team. I'm still playing multiple colonies at the same time. Even old ones as far back as A14!

---------------------------------
As for other companies and Development teams. I have to give credit where credit is due. You won't all agree with me but just like you DubskiDude Re-Logic (Terraria) is near the top of Dev Teams that I can always support. Some AAA teams I can get behind as well. Blizzards speaks to fans, hosts events, has communication and takes a lot of feedback. One small example is Hearthstone... when new cards get to be revealed Blizzard secretly contacts popular Twitch and Youtube Let's Players, Commentators, Pro Players who support and play Hearthstone and ask if they want to reveal one of the cards. Normally they involve like 20+ online personalities. Blizzard could just do it themselves but this way is awesome because we get to go to all sorts of different channels and learn more about the fans of the game too. And see the wacky and crazy ways they decide to show off the card that Blizzard gave them. It's really a lot of fun and helps the Youtube/Twitch community get viewers and fans.

However the larger the companies the harder it is to hear from those at the top. Still Blizzard makes an effort and that's what matters. The developers behind the video games Dungeonmans and Don't Stave have are decent. But I will say that even some of these examples don't come as close to Tynan and Ludeon! I know I am forgetting some games and Dev Teams that I love.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

mndfreeze

I have to drop a quick note in here that I think Tynan is doing an amazing job and his dedication to the project and the community is second to none.  In my 40 years alive and almost all of those playing video games, I can count with literally a few fingers the number of devs I have actually had reply to a message of mine, and only one that has been so involved in feedback and changes with the community, and thats Tynan.

Great job!

Kerr

I can't wait to throw money at whatever they try next.

Emulsion

I totally agree!

Cudos to Ludeon studios and Tynan for being so responsive and open for feedback and suggestions and actively asking for it!
I love the way you consider a lot and implement what fits your vision. Always caring for the balance between your vision and the visions of the players, which I imagine is a really hard task sometimes.

Its always a joy for me to read new posts in the 1.0 thread and then see the changelog where so many things that players have mentioned before have been adapted/reworked/repaired.
I really appreciate that so much.
It actually is what made me being more active in the forums now, after the unstable release. Because I have the feeling that its meaningful to suggest or mention things that I stumble upon while playing.
And also because of your responsiveness and because I love your game so much I feel kind of responsible to try to help making this game even greater in the process of finishing..not that one opinion matters that much in the great scheme of things but it really feels like it does sometimes :-)

Huge thanks for this great game and this great development process that I really enjoy being part of!

Also, of course thanks to all the modders out there! I really appreciate your work!
And to the community as a whole.

Quote from: viperwasp on July 25, 2018, 03:24:31 PM
In reality when was the last time you wanted to mod a game that you hated? Never right?

Hahaha, you nailed it  ;D

Tynan

Thank you everyone :)

Be sure to thank ison as well, he's working on the game every day as well!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

robno

Yep, first dev I've ever seen who is not 'dealing with' or just 'talking to' the community, but is actually a central part of it. I think RimWorld is special and unique (among polished games) in what it tries to accomplish, as a story generator, and this last couple of months of development has been something I've never seen before. I hope it works as well as it seems to!

Try not to burn yourselves out Tynan and ison, we can wait a few extra days!

RyanRim

Gj Tynan working with all haters and copies. We have one of the most active modding communities in Steam thanks to an amazing game that supports it. I really hope it starts picking up more recognition.

Kotaku, please stop featuring crappy 3D games and turn your heads.

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

eugeneb

Thanks a lot for this game, it's one of the two early access games in my life that I didn't regret buying. I've spent hundreds of hours already and keep returning to it, and I've been gaming for almost two decades now so usually it's pretty hard for me to find exciting, truly "new", games (I suspect I am starting to understand what being old feels like lol).

One particular thing I find cool is that a handful of devs managed to make a much more enjoyable game than big corps with all their money, talent, etc.. Things like this inspired me in the past to abandon career at one of those large well known corps everybody wants to work and move to startups.

viperwasp

Quote from: Tynan on July 26, 2018, 07:53:45 PM

Ison puts in a lot of work. So when I said Ludeon I mean everyone involved. I don't know everyones name or even who the full team is. Probably places on this site I can find out. I think I saw the page before. But I don't know if there are others who are not listed.

But defiantly Thank You Ison! Without your programing and skills Rimworld would not be where is it today!
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

mndfreeze

Quote from: Tynan on July 26, 2018, 07:53:45 PM

He only gets my silent appreciation in response to his silence and lack of replies to my posts! :D :D :D