So I researched Starflight basics, but why am I still shitting on the floor?

Started by Stuarthigginson, July 26, 2018, 01:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuarthigginson

I love rimworld.

I love rimworld so much I have 1184 hours plaid and still enjoying finding the optimal solution to conquer randy random Merciless Struggle (Nice name change btw) Since day one. (Might be nearing on the perfect strategy soon so watch out Tynan).

My one main bugbear is I seem incapable of shitting somewhere other than my lounge or perfectly clean bedrooms.

I can genuinely go from being a single caveman. Building guns. Learning to craft medicine. Build an actual spaceship.

But my colonists just love that sweet human faeces on their carpet.

Not asking for much Tynan, just a toilet. Please. No really, please x 

(I know there are most likely mods out there but I love playing this game vanilla as thats the real challenge for me)

Keep up the good work!
Randy, Extreme, all Biomes, and the last time you played 26/07/2018.

khun_poo

I would like to see trash bin too. The rubbish all over hallway made my janitor went berserk  :-\

btw, please post suggest thead in suggestion forum next time  ;)

Tynan

Um, there is no such thing as 'shitting' in RW.

Are you referring to human filth? This does not represent feces, just the general mess people make. It's an abstraction. Of course filth has been in the game forever.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

tyriaelsoban

There is actually a mod that adds hygiene systems to the game on the workshop;
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1416302991 "Bad Hygiene" by Dubwise, there are currently version specific for B18/1.0 on the workshop as obviously the devs are not finished with the current wip build.

Stuarthigginson

Thanks for the reply! :) I just thought we have dirt (which represents mud on shoes ect) but 'Human filth' sounds a bit gross and to me doesn't mean general waste I guess.

Just thought perhaps a rename to 'General rubbish' or 'Litter' would maybe be more appropriate :)

Dargaron

Honestly, since there's an in-game distinction between "trash" and "human filth," my first thought was that human filth represented...well, biological waste. Since trash is clearly not human leavings, and there's the preexisting "animal filth" item (which is even more "obviously" animal waste, since the whole "dog tracks dirt inside" element is already covered by other systems), it seemed the logical assumption.

What's the purpose of having both trash and human filth? Do they serve different roles somehow?

lazyl

Quote from: Tynan on July 26, 2018, 07:37:36 PM
Are you referring to human filth? This does not represent feces, just the general mess people make.

Then you should rename it because the phrase 'Human filth' usually means shit. Although 'filth' doesn't mean that on it's own, that is what the phrase means.

Eterm

Quote from: Stuarthigginson on July 26, 2018, 09:07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply! :) I just thought we have dirt (which represents mud on shoes ect) but 'Human filth' sounds a bit gross and to me doesn't mean general waste I guess.

Just thought perhaps a rename to 'General rubbish' or 'Litter' would maybe be more appropriate :)

For a more fully fleshed out mod idea, you could introduce a "sanitation" slider.
Ideas for structures: The metric could be improved by washbasins, toilets or proximity to flowing water (rivers) and harmed by swamps and stagnant water.  Fancier and fancier toilets would boost it more much like more comfortable beds boost rest.

But it's another complexity layer where imo the game already has enough plates to try to keep spinning. (See also long standing articles where Tynan says why there won't be a water pipes system to go with the eletric system).

Also, you would need a way of making it have an impact or you'd just ignore it. Having it as just another lead into mood would be boring and difficult to balance, either you'd end up requiring it (if it produced negative moods) or if it gave good mood bonuses would be too easy to take care of for a "permanent" mood boost. Too many 'base' mood boosts just means pawns never break which is boring.

Perhaps isntead of mood it could adjust the disease chance for non-penox ailments. Not just food poisoning but flu, etc.

Nafensoriel

Quote from: lazyl on July 28, 2018, 02:07:52 PM
Quote from: Tynan on July 26, 2018, 07:37:36 PM
Are you referring to human filth? This does not represent feces, just the general mess people make.

Then you should rename it because the phrase 'Human filth' usually means shit. Although 'filth' doesn't mean that on it's own, that is what the phrase means.

No that's just what your local cultural group defines it to be. Filth is actually defined quite a bit differently from faeces.
"Filth" by technical definition is defined as "dirt" in one way or another be it a condition(like a house or place), a theological or ideological position(an obscenity or religious heresy), or explicitly just dirt. Adding human to the front of this doesnt change the nature of the word either it just provides a more detailed origin. Most physical "human filth" is biologically excreted from our skin or mouth as defined by both medicine and history.  Tynan was absolutely correct in using the term.

If he wanted to label it faeces... Well, that has exactly the definition you want to ascribe to filth. Faeces can be filth.. but filth does not have to be faeces.

/edit Oh and the logical reason you have "trash" and "filth" is simply because trash is produced and filth is generated. It's pedantic I know but there is a reason we have different names for things like this and they actually do have defined boundaries in writing and function.