Yes
30 (60%)
No
20 (40%)
Only /r/rimworld
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Teleblaster18

I did use Reddit up until fairly recently.  There were two reasons for my departure:

The fetishization of game mods, which I find highly annoying.  IMO, Reddit needs a seperate forum to discuss mods.

I've played straight vanilla for my entire time playing RimWorld, and it seems flat-out ridiculous that people mod a game often without really understanding what it is they're modding, and understanding whether a mod changes gameplay.  I feel much the same way when I see mods being developed for 1.0 that I know for a fact change current gameplay balance...when that gameplay balance is still being worked out.

I've seen some REAL bad advice dispensed there.  This forum is far better for serious gameplay Q&A;  the knowledge of the average poster here is noticeably higher.

Reddit is good for the occasional humor, though...but not much else.

DubskiDude

Quote from: Teleblaster18 on July 28, 2018, 10:26:38 PM
The fetishization of game mods, which I find highly annoying.  IMO, Reddit needs a seperate forum to discuss mods.

This. I know that modders put in a lot of hard work, and you don't just mod a game you hate, but I've heard "there's a mod for that" sooo many times now that it's unbearable. It's a common response to any feedback or criticism I've given in the past. I criticize the title I payed $30 for, not fan-made 3rd-party content.

Teleblaster18

Quote from: DubskiDude on July 29, 2018, 02:05:07 AM

This. I know that modders put in a lot of hard work, and you don't just mod a game you hate, but I've heard "there's a mod for that" sooo many times now that it's unbearable. It's a common response to any feedback or criticism I've given in the past. I criticize the title I payed $30 for, not fan-made 3rd-party content.

I have an enormous respect and appreciation for modders who genuinely and thoroughly understand the games they decide to mod.  Ideally, making changes that don't have unintended or unwanted consequences takes that level of understanding, and a great deal of time learning the game mechanics and intended balance.  Some mods that I've seen are absolutely brilliant.

What I don't care for is seeing someone who's never played the game before, and asking...before they've even put in a single hour of gameplay..."What mods are absolutely essential?"...and then getting a bunch of really uninformed responses that can really screw up a newcomer's experience of the game.  I see this happen on Reddit constantly. 

The only mods that I consider essential for a newcomer are bugfixes for gamebreaking bugs.  You know...just about every Bethesda game ever made. :)  I've yet to encounter a single one in RimWorld, though...even in 1.0.

xion1088

Reddit for the lulz Forums for discussion

Jibbles

I just wish comics were more popular here.

Boston

Quote from: Teleblaster18 on July 29, 2018, 06:46:06 AM
Quote from: DubskiDude on July 29, 2018, 02:05:07 AM

I have an enormous respect and appreciation for modders who genuinely and thoroughly understand the games they decide to mod.  Ideally, making changes that don't have unintended or unwanted consequences takes that level of understanding, and a great deal of time learning the game mechanics and intended balance.  Some mods that I've seen are absolutely brilliant.

What I don't care for is seeing someone who's never played the game before, and asking...before they've even put in a single hour of gameplay..."What mods are absolutely essential?"...and then getting a bunch of really uninformed responses that can really screw up a newcomer's experience of the game.  I see this happen on Reddit constantly. 

The only mods that I consider essential for a newcomer are bugfixes for gamebreaking bugs.  You know...just about every Bethesda game ever made. :)  I've yet to encounter a single one in RimWorld, though...even in 1.0.

To be entirely fair and play devils advocate.... If people are asking for mods, that generally means they find the vanilla gameplay lacking.

For example: myself, i flat-out refuse to play vanilla Rimworld after playing with certain mods. Without Combat Extended, Vegetable Garden, Psychology and Children and Pregnancy..... The game just isnt there. I refuse to play.

As for wether i use this forum or the subreddit.... The r/rimworld subreddit is largely shite. Most threads are memes (largely of the "human skin hats! XD" variety, which get old quick), comics (which are usually good), and the good old reddit circlejerking.

Reddit for fun, forum for work.