Looking to create "Me++"

Started by Eviscerae, October 30, 2013, 01:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eviscerae

I lead a pretty normal life.  I'm a software engineer for a prominent defense contractor specializing in military radars and sensing equipment, married, have a house, and 2 gigantic Maine Coon cats that are our pride and joy.

I grew up in the suburbs, went to college, married my high school sweetheart, and I have a good-sized scotch collection. :)

I'm a gamer (both meat-space(tm) and virtual) who enjoys head-to-head tactical war games.

I'm pragmatic, logical, and can be fairly creative when i can get an idea formulated of what I want to do.

I'd like to create myself in RimWorld, but my problem is I'm having a hard time coming up with something that'd be interesting as... well... I'm pretty normal. :(

I'd much appreciate any thoughts you guys have that might help get some of those creative juices flowing.

Thanks in advance for your replis.

Tynan

You could focus on this: "a software engineer for a prominent defense contractor specializing in military radars and sensing equipment". That's awesome! Just add a tiny bit of sci-fi spice and you should be good.

Alternatively you could just say you're a straightforward smart married guy. Nothing wrong with that, and it would go great in the game. I really hope we'll have a good number of "normal" people in the game.

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Eviscerae

Sounds good to me.

Maybe he/I was some sort of engineering guru testing some new equipment.  Catastrophic failures of safety-critical software have been known to cause premature evacuations in some space faring vessels.   :o

Tynan

Well, there's no need to specify how you got to the rimworld. Usually it's better if you don't - let the player interpret that part.

Semmy

Quote from: Eviscerae on October 30, 2013, 05:13:50 PM
Sounds good to me.

Maybe he/I was some sort of engineering guru testing some new equipment.  Catastrophic failures of safety-critical software have been known to cause premature evacuations in some space faring vessels.   :o

What i would advice is to create a charachter with a background that stops way before the moment he gets on that ship.
Else you take away the story that a player would want to play.
So you could say that that catastrophic failure happened in that nuclear plant he worked in and that he bought a ticket off the planet before being beaten to that with uranium rods. or to escape the meltdown
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Quote from: Semmy on October 30, 2013, 05:42:32 PM
Sounds good to me.

What i would advice is to create a charachter with a background that stops the moment he gets on that ship.
So you could say that that catastrophic failure happened in that nuclear plant he worked in and that he bought a ticket off the planet before being beaten to that with uranium rods. or to escape the meltdown

I actually prefer you avoid this part too and leave the origin of the ship unsaid. I'd like to be able to write that as canon later and not have a bunch of backstories each say that the ship visited this and that world picking up all sorts of people. Just write the story that says who you are, not a short-term story leading up to the moment.

Semmy

Quote from: Tynan on October 30, 2013, 05:46:19 PM
Quote from: Semmy on October 30, 2013, 05:42:32 PM
Sounds good to me.

What i would advice is to create a charachter with a background that stops the moment he gets on that ship.

I actually prefer you avoid this part too and leave the origin of the ship unsaid. I'd like to be able to write that as canon later and not have a bunch of backstories each say that the ship visited this and that world picking up all sorts of people. Just write the story that says who you are, not a short-term story leading up to the moment.

So you are going to write us more awsome stories awsome d-:

and fixed my post.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Eviscerae

i actually like Tynan's direction.  Nothing about how he got where he is, but I really like the idea of "Maybe this guy isn't on the up-and-up".

The absent minded smarty-pants that had "oops" moments a few too many times.

Now Tynan has to implement catastrophic research failures!   Oops!