So how are you guys using the new turrets?

Started by Ser Kitteh, July 29, 2018, 08:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on July 31, 2018, 07:38:10 AM
Suggestions?
Your entry corridor will cause all of the long range Raiders to stop at the outside of the corridor. From there only the middle turret will be able to fire on them, and any Raider with a sniper rifle will stand outside of it's range to plink it to death.

I suggest moving the Corridor a few tiles to either side of its current position, to force even the long range Raiders to actually enter the box to get line of sight on the turrets. And to add a back wall at the back of the corridor to prevent snipers from attacking at range. Also the entry corridor doesn't need to be that long. The shorter it is the better the attack angle the turrets will have. If shortening the entry corridor places its exit out of turret range, move the whole outer wall closer to keep the shortened entry corridor in range.

sadpickle

Quote from: giltirn on July 29, 2018, 08:23:29 PM
Quote from: Zombull on July 29, 2018, 07:59:58 PM
Traps weren't nerfed, they were buffed quite substantially. They're cheap now and do a ton of damage. And you can uninstall and move them if you need to. My only complaint about them is the auto rebuild won't use uninstalled traps from storage. It will always build new. Nonetheless, I use them heavily.

They are single-use, very resource heavy (you say they are cheap, but they are only 50% of the resource cost they were in B18), and have to be placed so far apart that they become next to useless for anything more than acting as a minefield for unlucky raiders. In my experience I lose so many to random wildlife and manhunting rodents that they become too resource-intensive to manage; and that's just with wood traps. No-one in their right mind would use steel or plasteel for traps now, and stone is far too precious to throw away until you get deep drilling. Used to be that you could place them strategically with careful wall placement to funnel the enemy, but now they are just a spray-and-pray largely mindless affair and a massive burden to keep operating. Not a fan at all.
They are quite useful. The spacing nerf was implemented because they are so deadly now. It encourages tactical placement. If you have a map with a lot of obstruction (mountain) it is easy to determine what paths raiders will take after observing a few raids. Corners and narrows are excellent places to trap. I have had enormous success with them. Animals do occasionally trip them, but it is not too bad. I generally have a lot of steel or stone, but wood traps are viable on any forest map.

giltirn

Quote from: sadpickle on August 01, 2018, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: giltirn on July 29, 2018, 08:23:29 PM
Quote from: Zombull on July 29, 2018, 07:59:58 PM
Traps weren't nerfed, they were buffed quite substantially. They're cheap now and do a ton of damage. And you can uninstall and move them if you need to. My only complaint about them is the auto rebuild won't use uninstalled traps from storage. It will always build new. Nonetheless, I use them heavily.

They are single-use, very resource heavy (you say they are cheap, but they are only 50% of the resource cost they were in B18), and have to be placed so far apart that they become next to useless for anything more than acting as a minefield for unlucky raiders. In my experience I lose so many to random wildlife and manhunting rodents that they become too resource-intensive to manage; and that's just with wood traps. No-one in their right mind would use steel or plasteel for traps now, and stone is far too precious to throw away until you get deep drilling. Used to be that you could place them strategically with careful wall placement to funnel the enemy, but now they are just a spray-and-pray largely mindless affair and a massive burden to keep operating. Not a fan at all.
They are quite useful. The spacing nerf was implemented because they are so deadly now. It encourages tactical placement. If you have a map with a lot of obstruction (mountain) it is easy to determine what paths raiders will take after observing a few raids. Corners and narrows are excellent places to trap. I have had enormous success with them. Animals do occasionally trip them, but it is not too bad. I generally have a lot of steel or stone, but wood traps are viable on any forest map.

I admit that after spending the evening on it yesterday that the wide separation of the traps is not as big a burden as I thought. It does, as I expected, make traditional uses of traps accompanied by funneling systems much more difficult, but placing a few near corners and hidey holes where you expect enemies to take up position works very well given how damaging the traps are. However the biggest difficulty for me is the resource demand. I am playing a boreal forest and have quite literally stripped the entire map (large!) of trees. I've had to stop using them for now as I simply cannot afford the resource cost. God knows how anyone would be able to use plasteel, steel or even stone traps for anything but last ditch defenses. The cost needs to be reduced by a factor of 2x or more IMO. Most likely come 1.0 I will mod them to buff their initial cost back to 70 and stop them from being destroyed after one use.

Syrchalis

I think that 35 is low enough. It was 40 initially, but I complained =p

Wood is fast to acquire, but can be hard to come by, while stone seems to be a relatively optimal material. At least I often have a lot of stone blocks, even on non-mountainous maps.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

mlzovozlm

setting wood trap then 1 AOE blast and all gone lol, while stone traps corridor take days to finish

Raooka

You: I can't figure out how to use the new traps
Me:

TheMeInTeam

Mostly don't use, costly for tribal to research and small benefit.  Better to wealth manage and micro pawns decently.

That said battery + moving turrets can help against sappers, though door micro is still the winner there IMO.

account13123

Quote from: Raooka on June 22, 2019, 09:02:58 PM
You: I can't figure out how to use the new traps
Me:
This isn't good, raiders would mostly come from 1 place and funnel through just 1 or 2 of those. Better to have a solid wall and make them walk along it- then they hit all the traps.

Pangaea

Topic moved from turrets to traps, so... I am finally trying to take advantage of them in natural pathways, like corners or behind trees that would be hiding places. It has worked very well. But it's also very expensive since I use steel. Stone might be more manageable, at least for a while, but will be less efficient against well-dressed raiders and mechs.

Turrets I use in killboxes (when I build them), and in late game, dotted around the base's interior to help against the plethora of drop pod attacks. I like to build a big square walled off area for a killbox (not these elaborate burning infernos), which allows my dudes and cannons to fire at them en mass, and forces raiders into the box so they can't stand outside the line of our fire and snipe at turrets and whatnot. Some auto cannons and a uranium slug turret can work wonders -- but are of course very resource intensive to maintain.

Canute

Stone traps take very long to build.
Since you got regrowable wood, you should try these out.
Yes they don't do so much damage, but you can build alot of them very fast.
But steel trap you should build as last defence befor your base.

Pangaea

Quote from: Canute on July 06, 2019, 03:48:53 AM
Stone traps take very long to build.
Since you got regrowable wood, you should try these out.
Yes they don't do so much damage, but you can build alot of them very fast.
But steel trap you should build as last defence befor your base.
Aye, I noticed the work required when I looked at the info in-game. Which rather effectively removes stone traps from the equation. Steel traps are excellent because they are quick to (re)build, do lots of damage, and powers through armour resistance. I fear wood traps will just tickle well-armoured raiders and especially mechs. Will they actually be useful in the  mid-to-late game? Much more vulnerable to fire as well.

The upside, of course, is that wood is plentiful, while steel is always a limiting factor the longer the game lasts.

Pangaea

Bog standard setup, probably, but I'm using the new cannons like so:

Not ideal range across the board due to all the mud, but it has worked out pretty well so far. The miniturrets in the south can't fire unless the raiders move inwards a little, but they still serve a purpose as a distraction, especially against Centipedes.

Two Uranium slug turrets have just been erected in the back, and they do devastating damage against Centipedes, which is the main threat now.

In other saves I've tried to setup autocannons in strategic spots outside the base, but it simply doesn't work. Even heavily protected by walls and sandbags and colonists, they too easily get sniped or overrun.

Especially the slug turrets can get very expensive, so I've set them up with a power switch so I can turn them off against normal raiders.

Kirby23590

Not a fan of the Big fat uranium cannons/sniper turrets...

Since when you put a guy behind it, there's a chance of your pawn dying from friendly from it, this includes from autocannons.

But i heavily prefer autocannons and plasteel and steel mini-turrets more.

Not a fan of killboxes, but i heavily use some autocannons and mini-turrets around my base to ward of raiders and mechanoids for a while before my pawns armed to the teeth come in.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.