R.I.P Nightshade. (Profile pic cat)

Started by ItchyFlea, July 30, 2018, 03:55:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItchyFlea

So I haven't really posted on these forums properly for quite a while. Real life tends to get in the way of that.
I figured those who know me might want an update. The short unrelated to this post is that life is going great for me. Great job, great home, great everything really. But back to this post.

As you guys more than likely know, my profile picture is of my cat. His name is Nightshade.
He was born on the 13th of October, 2008.
He died on the 11th of April, 2018.
I have attached to this post the last picture I took of him. It was a taken in January when he was lying with me in my bed when I was off work sick. The other picture is of both him and his sister when they were 9 months old.
He died because his kidneys stopped working. He was 8kg in weight, and 9½ years old.
He was here at home with me, beside me on my couch. I was holding his paw when he died.
He was cremated and I now have him with me in my living room in a beautiful wooden box engraved with his name.

His sister is still with us. She misses him though, and is much more vocal than she used to be since his death.

I don't really know what else to say. I miss the little bugger, that's for sure. And even though it's been 3 months, writing this post was still hard, and a couple of tissues were required.

[attachment deleted due to age]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

mabor0shi

Very sad. He was a handsome cat and his sister is beautiful. Please don't change your avatar. I associate that face with you.
My last cat took an arrow in the side (actually it went completely through) and had to be put down. When the police searched my neighbor's home, they found a bow and arrows, but they were a different brand of arrows and there was insufficient evidence for arrest. They probably wouldn't have even searched, but he was on parole so they didn't need a warrant. They acted like cats aren't people so they don't matter. Cats are people to people like us.
I feel your pain, friend. A pet is a family member. It's OK to cry. I actually started crying now.
Attached the last picture of my cat before her murder. Sorry if I seemed to make this about me, I'm just commiserating.

[attachment deleted due to age]
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Listen1

Sorry to hear from both you.

The pain of the loss is really individual, but I hope you can overcome it and the grief you feel turns into love someday.

milon

I'm sorry, Itchy.  That really sucks. :(

catter

I'm sad to hear that to, but on the plus side Nightshade will be happier (unless you are an atheist). Of course, I lost two cats in my childhood. One disappeared to die alone, the other died in pain. Sad days... :'( Now I have another friend, named Linus, who is in the 10+ age and hanging by a thread. He has liver failure due to not drinking enough water, he is very skinny and bony (but not from lack of trying to feed him), and he somehow has the life in him to beg for food he won't eat and stink... :-\

Anyways, sad to hear that your avatar cat has found his last day. However, it always happens, and life moves on. ;)

Florius

Just logged in to say I'm sorry to hear this.  R.I.P Nightshade.
I'll give my cat some extra love today, now it's still possible!

@Catter, good luck with Linus!

mabor0shi

Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

harpo99999

sorry to hear about you loss, I to have been much loved by a loving BIG black cuddle cat, and somehow thay just ARE a core member of the family/house, but your nightshade was not a large cat only a moderatly large cat, as my bosley was 10kg (but all muscle and heart (plus needed support organs)) and I lost him to cancer of the mouth, and I still MISS my cuddle bud

catter

Quote from: mabor0shi on August 17, 2018, 01:46:17 AM
catter, is Linus your avatar picture?
No, that is another friend of mine. He thinks I'm crazy since I do what humans do: do stuff on a computer.

Linus is more of a skinny and golden cat who I think has dementia since he easily is lost when redirected. For example, he was walking to the water dish and the table was in the way. He walked around it passed the water dish and was very confused on what he was doing. Plus the poor guy needs something warm to lay in/on in order to sleep well. However, he is very tough and he won't give up; probably because he lived the hard life in his middle age. He had to live off the streets, after leading a happy life with an old man who smoked a lot.

When he isn't asleep, he tells me about his life. It is quite boring actually; and sad.

Tynan

Glad to hear life in general is good, and I hope Nightshade can rest in peace.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

catter

Update on Linus, he disappeared. He probably was taken to get put-down since he has been suffering, but I'm not sure. Hopefully he dies with little pain, and feels no pain anymore...

So now I will go make myself happy by playing with his toys.

mabor0shi

Quote from: catter on August 20, 2018, 07:15:58 PM
Update on Linus, he disappeared. He probably was taken to get put-down since he has been suffering, but I'm not sure. Hopefully he dies with little pain, and feels no pain anymore...

So now I will go make myself happy by playing with his toys.
Cat's have no understanding of mortality. They don't know they can die, so in a way they never do...
Quote from: Tynan on August 18, 2018, 11:30:04 AM
Glad to hear life in general is good, and I hope Nightshade can rest in peace.
Did we get to 9,000 already? Dang, I missed it :(

viperwasp

Lost a few cats in my life. The ones that went missing are harder than the ones that died. All lived long lives though 13+ years. But it's really sad. Sorry for your loss. I'm only reading this now or I would have commented long time ago.
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4