General 1.0 Art Feedback Thread

Started by Syrchalis, July 31, 2018, 08:24:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syrchalis

It feels like there is a need to talk about changes to visuals in general, mostly textures for items, but also other things. We had a big discussion about the meat already, which promptly got changed, because - let's be honest here - bright red meat cubes aren't nearly as great as flesh-colored stacks of steaks.

Post here any feedback related to visuals of any kind in Rimworld. This will allow the main thread to focus on gameplay experiences. I know visuals have a great deal of subjectivity in them, but that's fine, we are just here to voice our opinions, not force anyone to share them.

Current feedback from me:
Radio button during difficulty selection is barely visible when selecting merciless

Silver looks like potatoes; the old graphic had this amazing combination of looking "somewhat like coins" but also "somewhat like a resource". It took some time to get used to the first iteration of the 1.0 graphic, but I've grown to really like it, even though it doesn't look like coins in any way. It is currently my favorite. I dislike the newest version the most... because potatoes.

Before 1.0

First 1.0 iteration

Current 1.0 implementation

All plants should have immature textures. This is simply due to readability reasons. It allows players to immediately see when a plant is ready to be harvest. This also includes trees which do not have any immature textures right now.
My take on healroot:
(Old immature, old mature, new immature, new mature)

Personally I have modded nearly every crop to have immature textures. I haven't started with trees yet however.

What could use an upgrade is the Sun Lamp:

Maybe something like the one from vegetable garden?
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

Ser Kitteh

I'm fine with a lot of the furniture and workbenches. They fit very well with the current art style though some like the sun lamp could use an upgrade.

I'm not colorblind but I understand some players are. I'm not a fan of the new herbal plants nor the stack meds (and that 25 limit) and the silver. Gold looks like a bunch of corn in a pile and the old silver at least look like coin/resource. The shells gets an eh from me. The big cartoon nature of them works as we see them from a distance.

Also the boxes for the bionics and prostheses are way too brown and similar in colour. They're so damn plain. When I get one for a quest, I want it to be new and shiny like in EPOE or RBSE. Here, they just look like a square pizza box.

I like the new heavy SMG and am fine with most of the guns. I do think the bolt-action and the shotgun could use a bit of a rework because they too look a bit similar to one another.

Wanderer_joins

I liked the new components compared to the old ones, though they were not perfectly identifiable, they were more detailed and sharper.

One thing i'd really like to see upgraded are the standing lamps, they look really old school for a futuristic colony sim though they are central to the colony outlook.

And why not add more variants, wall lamps, lit floor for the space ship etc...

Serenity

For silver, I'd like bars/bullion. Seems more logical to store it that way that lumps of it

East

Graphics are an important factor in attracting new people.
First impressions are so important, and graphics are a key factor in that first impression.
I do not really know graphics. But I hope many others will help.
I hope there are many opinions in this post.

Dargaron

Honestly, I'm not sure why silver isn't just stacks of coins. It would be instantly recognizable, and it wouldn't make any less sense than getting cloth fresh off the plant. Plus, it would immediately let the new player know "This is currency."

Syrchalis

I loved the new components. I don't know why people feel in any way upset about them, they were pretty dope.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

erdrik

I too liked the new component artwork.
I do agree the silver could work just being stacks of coin.
Especially in light of how cotton just magically becomes cloth.

kurus

I Like new art except new silver. For components maybe something like that:

Components:

Adv. Components:

Kirby23590

Hmmm... While i'm okay & loving with how the new workbenches look now.

I think that components (including adv.) got reverted back to B18 art. I was fine with the new & old ones though.

I would like to talk about the new Chain Shotgun and the Heavy SMG new look & art though.

For chain shotty. I like now it looks like a actual fictional gun that would have belonged to a dystopian or a sci-fi actor prop. Making it look like it was exported from an urbworld. With a mix of a grenade-launcher and a nerf gun. I like alot though even though the chain shotty is underused depending in the situation or if it's somehow a masterwork made by some random person.

For the heavy submachine gun. While it looks like it was borrowed from a hollywood movie & made with other RL guns ripped from it making look like it was made in a workbench by a gun nut. While it looks cool i have to criticize it's looks in-game though where it looks like it doesn't belong in rimworld's artstyle though, when comparing it to other weapons such as the charge rifle, assault rifle and the original machine pistol & heavy smg. To be fair though the new heavy smg looks good though visually but i feel like it doesn't match the artstyle of the game though.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Ser Kitteh

After much thought I think the new flak jacket needs a teeny bit of a rework. The shape is fine but it does somewhat resemble a hoodie too much. Maybe a few pouches on the front?

dearmad

Op: i begging for matured plant visuals too! Annoying to click and see 98%, etc... And no change when it matures...

Share your art for trees when you do them as mod? Although i think this should be a base game feature!

Syrchalis

Quote from: dearmad on August 01, 2018, 02:13:09 PM
Op: i begging for matured plant visuals too! Annoying to click and see 98%, etc... And no change when it matures...

Share your art for trees when you do them as mod? Although i think this should be a base game feature!
Oh, it doesn't work like that. It changes from "immature" to "mature" when you can harvest the plant. This means 66% for plants and 40% for trees (except saguaro cactus which can be harvested at 20%).

SpookCrow

"Fear is the enemy within you that can lead to your demise." -Spook

Mufflamingo

Quote from: Ser Kitteh on August 01, 2018, 01:26:56 AM
After much thought I think the new flak jacket needs a teeny bit of a rework. The shape is fine but it does somewhat resemble a hoodie too much. Maybe a few pouches on the front?

Flak Jacket looks like a parka. Its too wide for my taste. I think making it slimmer will make it look okay. At least for me.
Bleeeee. . . . .