Damage should disrupt repair

Started by erdrik, July 31, 2018, 11:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erdrik

If a door or wall or other building is damaged the door, wall or building should become incapable of being repaired for a small amount of time.

Klomster

I dunno, i've had a few intense moments when wild (insert terrifying thing here) try to force their way through a door while my colonists inside frantically try to make the door hold so it doesn't come through.

I'd rather have it so repair speed was impaired instead, so it gets more intense.

pablo603

Maybe make the cooldown on repair but make us able to barricade a door with different materials. They would boost hit points or just make the door receive less damage, but the door would be unusable unless the barricade gets removed. Wood gets removed quickly, but isn't very durable, steel is the middle, stone blocks are very durable, but remove very slowly, plasteel is more durable than stone blocks and removes a bit faster than them, but longer than normal steel. The more damage the barricade gets, the less resources you get back from removing it.

Klomster

While making a barricade is an interesting idea, i don't think the work needed to put the system into the game, plus add the different materials you are suggesting would be worth the end product.
Sure, seeing them rush to get the materials and construct the barricade might be fun, but the same idea is basically already in with the repairing door as it is being battered down.

So all in all it's easy to be cloven in this regard, i know i am.
Sure it would be a fun niche, but it seems like a bunch of trouble as well. So i'm rather neutral on the whole idea.

AileTheAlien

You can also just build a "barricade" of another tile or two of wall, so...

Klomster

Well, seeing how doors, walls and stuff works in rimworld, the enemies would probably stop going for that place since it is no longer a way in.
So while it would probably work wonders, it would also be strange.

I can just imagine it though.
-"Hahaha, puny pacifist colonists, soon our gang, the muffalo berserkerz will get through this door and we will pour in and take them all!"
*Loud crash as door breaks*
-"... um sir."
-"What? Why aren't you charging in?"
-"There's a wall...."
*Behind the door, a brick wall sits, mocking the pirates thoroughly*
-"..........."
-"......................"

erdrik

Quote from: Klomster on August 01, 2018, 06:47:52 AM
I dunno, i've had a few intense moments when wild (insert terrifying thing here) try to force their way through a door while my colonists inside frantically try to make the door hold so it doesn't come through.

I'd rather have it so repair speed was impaired instead, so it gets more intense.
Which is why I said "small amount of time". My intent was along the lines of impaired repair time, just a more binary on/ off. The down time should not be longer than what it would take to destroy the door.

Thematically it is like a pick axe coming through and almost hitting the barricading pawn on the other side. Which would cause them to step back in shock for a second.

Maybe damage to the door could even just push the pawn back 1 or 2 tiles instead, and the down time is just them trying to get back to the door.
In either case it should not cancel the task reservation, that way it won't have a situation of someone on the other side of the colony taking up the repair job when the current repairer gets stunned.

Klomster

Knockback is cool, but i'd say 0,5 tile. Since having up to 2 tiles knockback would create some severe shenanigans.