Bayonets for guns

Started by pablo603, August 01, 2018, 07:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pablo603

Adding bayonets to guns like Bolt Action Rifle would actually make our snipers have a chance of survival in melee combat when an enemy comes close.

patoka

B18 used to essentially have bayonets on every gun. completely destroyed the game from that perspective, melee was suicide. even the worst shots always got guns to use, so bad were the melee weapons in comparison.
honestly, the second i read about the issues with the weapons in B18, i immediately uninstalled and downgraded to A17 again, eventhough i JUST downloaded it. trust me, melee is cool, shooting is also cool and it's the coolest if it is viable and even the best thing to do to have a mixed army of melee and ranged fighters.

there are threads on here where lotsa people got really unfriendly to eachother about this same topic.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

AileTheAlien

In 1.0, pawns with ranged weapons have a 1-tile radius where they can't shoot. In B18 (I think), ranged weapons just had a worse aiming penalty at close range. That meant that they were effective at both range, and somewhat effective at melee ranges. The 1.0 change is pretty drastic, but it at least means that melee pawns / NPCs have some chance against ranged people. Otherwise, they're at a very large disadvantage.

If you just want "bayonets" as (mostly) visual things, that'd be pretty cheap. You could change the images, and maybe change the melee damage of guns. However, guns like that need a trade-off, so maybe a longer aiming time? There's definitely balance issues that come up, if you make any one item or class of items be good at everything.

pablo603

Quote from: AileTheAlien on August 01, 2018, 02:23:29 PM
In 1.0, pawns with ranged weapons have a 1-tile radius where they can't shoot. In B18 (I think), ranged weapons just had a worse aiming penalty at close range. That meant that they were effective at both range, and somewhat effective at melee ranges. The 1.0 change is pretty drastic, but it at least means that melee pawns / NPCs have some chance against ranged people. Otherwise, they're at a very large disadvantage.

If you just want "bayonets" as (mostly) visual things, that'd be pretty cheap. You could change the images, and maybe change the melee damage of guns. However, guns like that need a trade-off, so maybe a longer aiming time? There's definitely balance issues that come up, if you make any one item or class of items be good at everything.

After long thinking I think it's a bad idea to add actual working bayonets into the game. I can retexture the item and add a new damage type for it after all, easy.