"Ate without table" should become "Ate with table"

Started by DubskiDude, August 01, 2018, 01:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jumper

Quote from: Pryomaniac Ida on August 05, 2018, 04:55:56 PM
Quote from: Jumper on August 05, 2018, 04:30:00 PM
Quote from: Pryomaniac Ida on August 05, 2018, 04:21:06 PM
Eating at a table is not exactly something worth celebrating but having to eat a meal standing up or in your lap is kind of shitty. The penalty reflects that.

Sort of like there's a mood penalty for being in darkness but not a mood bonus for being in a bright area. What really matters is the final mood balance of the game. If having a table would be a mood bonus then they would have to take that mood point out somewhere else just to add another line to the list of mood statuses.

so eating a meal in your lap would bother you for 12 hours. I am sat watching a movie with a meal on a tray and I don't think I will be worrying in 12 minutes let alone 12 hours.
when you go to the cinema do you need a table for snacks ? or a drive through, do you pop out your car table ?
its nicer to sit at a table but hardly something to put you in a mood.

Also why have colonists pick up meals and keep them in gear. makes no sense if they want a table. leave your meals by the table.

Making a plea for realism is pretty silly though and when hours pass in seconds a 12 minute mood penalty would mean nothing.

The developers obviously want to give an incentive players to provide some place for colonists to eat but instead of adding another mood buff for every single colonist in the game at all times they made a penalty for failing to provide it.

12 minutes was me being facetious not literally meaning 12 minutes  ;D

5thHorseman

Quote from: Pryomaniac Ida on August 05, 2018, 04:55:56 PM
Making a plea for realism is pretty silly though and when hours pass in seconds a 12 minute mood penalty would mean nothing.
I don't want realism, I want consistency.

I spend an hour making a lavish dining room with statues and pool tables and a 24 meter diagonal TV, with a huge jade table and a stash of smokeleaf joints in the corner for a nice relaxing evening.

Pawn takes a meal from the nearby walk-in freezer, walks out into the world, drags one of the 6 raiders who just lost to us to the dead pile, eats his meal IN THE PILE OF DEAD BODIES and then walks back to the freezer - that is literally an airlock from the dining room - to get another meal.

And feels bad about not eating at a table.

QuoteThe developers obviously want to give an incentive players to provide some place for colonists to eat but instead of adding another mood buff for every single colonist in the game at all times they made a penalty for failing to provide it.

You mean, failing to provide one every 50 tiles in every direction.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

cultist

I think it's pretty simple to increase the range of a pawn's "search for table" check. That way, they should look for tables from further away than normal.

patoka

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on August 02, 2018, 12:24:55 AM
Quote from: patoka on August 01, 2018, 01:53:22 PM
honestly, i think both are really weird thoughts to have. has anyone ever felt bad in rl eating without a table, or felt especially good about themselves for eating with a table? no way.

You talk like someone who never had to have lunch in the dirt.

Now let me qualify that by saying having a chair to sit in is 2/3 of the issue, but then some foods just don't eat right without table. Some do, some just don't.

Personally I have had to sit in hot dirt near fire ants and have lunch; I can attest that I had a -3 mood penalty for the rest of the afternoon as a result.
(ex army guy here)
why did the dear lord give you two feet and two hands? you stand on your legs (and go away from the fire ants (or enemy fire)) and then you use your weaker hand to hold your plate (or some type of mug, dunno how it is called in english, but you eat out of that container in the army) and you hold your spork in your stronger hand.

honestly, i never got a rl-mood-debuff for eating without a table. i sure couldnt relax as well as at home or even just in a cafeteria or on the canteen bench in high school, (in rw terms my comfiness level didnt rise) but being sad about that and maybe even making me go on a rampage killing my fellow men? hell naw
edit: i dont know about you guys, but eating without a table irl is really unimportant to me. i made a list of somewhat related things that annoy me more, from most to least annoying:

- eating food i dont like (capers? more like hell spawns)- eating in the rain
- eating bad food (be that healthwise, nutritionwise, tastewise or because it is poisoned)
- eating with someone i cant stand at the same table- eating at a noisy place
- eating in the cold
- eating with someone i cant stand in sight or hearing range (especially with annoying voice trait)
- eating on the move
- eating food that wasnt worth its wait or price- eating alone
- eating food without having sth to drink
- eating food outdoors (idc if that's the "style" of your restaurant)
- eating without cutlery (yes i really dislike eating pop-corn and the like)
- eating while only using my weaker hand (only did that once as a kind of challenge with my friends way back in the day. but i guess this also applies if you break your arm/hand/collar bone)
- eating without a chair
- eating without a table- eating cold food and leftovers (i genuinely enjoy eating those, especially leftovers of my spouse or cold pizza)

granted, this list is very personal, but still, it should show how many things could slightly budge a pawn but they mostly dont give a -3 in mood.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

Injured Muffalo

Quote from: patoka on August 06, 2018, 07:24:54 PM

(ex army guy here)
why did the dear lord give you two feet and two hands? you stand on your legs (and go away from the fire ants (or enemy fire)) and then you use your weaker hand to hold your plate (or some type of mug, dunno how it is called in english, but you eat out of that container in the army) and you hold your spork in your stronger hand.

I was on my feet all day and you can't eat and open everything with one hand. How stupid it is to bend down to your lunchbox over and over again. And as for the ants, they were all over the place. I tried to pick a spot away from a nest, but they pretty much wander around. That's what a desert is like.

But I'm not a tough army guy, so maybe if you have the tough trait you shouldn't get -3 from eating without a table.  ???
A muffalo encountered a vimp near a patch of sweet vegetables. A struggle ensued. The muffalo gored the vimp with its horns. The vimp bit the muffalo with its beak. Finally, the vimp was bested, sending large chunks of its flesh in every direction. But the muffalo was injured. It shed a single tear.

patoka

Quote from: Injured Muffalo on August 06, 2018, 07:58:59 PM
But I'm not a tough army guy, so maybe if you have the tough trait you shouldn't get -3 from eating without a table.  ???
yep, i'm pretty tough alright. unfortunately i am also too smart ("for my own good") and have an annoying voice.
surely you dont need to rebutcher corpses that you already half butchered if you leave the table to smoke a joint real quick?

down1nit

"Ate in bed staring at TV, comfortable nudity" +5