Why is the temperature range so small?

Started by Frejoh466, August 02, 2018, 06:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frejoh466

Haven't played for a while so it might have changed, but I doubt it.

But the biggest problem I have with Rimworld is that the temperature range is so small, on winter it is 0°C and in the summer it is 20°C. This gives no temperature challenge which I would love. Where I live we get -20°C in winter, and now I'm fighting with 35°C (hottest summer on record, but still).

Rimworld have ~20 temperature different, while I have ~55 temperature different. I know there is a mod that can change the temperature range on your landings site but only on the landing site, so the tile next to you is like normal (Would love to see a climate change event where it becomes extreme hot/cold for 5years over the whole planet).

Not sure if this is normal temperature range for Sylvester, or if it is a game design. But do anyone know why?

mndfreeze

I'd like to see a slider on the world gen page to increase the range as well.  I like that we can make extreme hot, cold, wet or dry, but it would be nice to be able to say "I want ultra cold AND ultra hot".

Kleine

Biomes further from the equator tend to have a larger temperature range. Looking at the map, tiles in the boreal forest and tundra area of the map tend to have a temperature range of around 40. Going up to the ice sheet gets you 50, going down to the equator gets you 10 or even 5.

I think the general intent of this is allowing the player to choose how challenging temperature, as well as the overall environment, is. Choosing a temperate forest or arid shrubland close to the equator will probably make temperature less of a concern, while choosing a tundra will make it more of a concern.

As a side note, and maybe a solution to your problem: when generating the world, you can increase its overall temperature. This won't change the increase in temperature difference as you go away from the equator, but it will make tiles with a large temperature range warmer (or colder). If you move the overall temperature slider up one 'tick', you can find temperate forest biomes with a temperature range of 40 or 50, with around -10 in the winter and 30 in the summer.
This won't really give you extreme cold AND extreme hot on the same tile, though, but enough to be out of a colonist's comfortable range on both ends.

Stormkiko

As someone who lives in a city that gets -40*C in the winter and +40*C in the summer, sometimes I'd like to see the pawns suffer as much as I do.

mndfreeze

I live in Phoenix and it can get near freezing here and 120 in the summer. lol. It's only fair I can take out my suffering on my digital peoples like a proper god/overlord.

:D

Frejoh466

Having a slider that would increase the world temperature range would be good.

The only challenge the game has is when those 100+ zerg invades, or the robots (buggs if you are in a mountain). The environment is no challenge, you could just move if you can handle it. But if there is no perfect place to settle, you will have to face the environment.

Bolgfred

One could say that these top temperatures are pictured by heat/cold waves.
You might be right that in your place of irigin there are extreme temperature limits of +/-40°, but probably they don't last for 3 months a year and doesn't appear every year. I am used to see winters with -30° and others with+5°. sometimes seasons are broken..

If you have a temperature range (in rimworld) from -15° to +15° there is always a bigger chance on a cold wave in winter and a heat wave in summer, which will grant -35° to +35°, which is close to your temp range wish.

Anyway, I would wish that seasons would get a wheater premonition themself alias a mild/harsh winter, and a hot/rainy summer, which will give you a real hard time for a season sometimes.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Wanderer_joins

Because the AI has always had a hard time dealing with extreme temp. There used to be more extreme temps, on sea ice for example. What -120°C does? A challenge until you get wool apparels and then raiders either freezes to death or it's mechs only.

Gameplay wise all you need are cold snap to kill your crops and heat waves to heat stroke your colonists. I have both on a tropical rainforest.

Another issue is caravaning, if you leave your base camp to end up freezing to death because you're going through a zone with more extreme temp, players will kill Tynan on the spot.

Btw, the AI still has issues with temp, i have traders leaving my map for dangerous temp at -13°C

[attachment deleted due to age]

Frejoh466

@Bolgfred
Sure, this year we had around 0°C in winter and May to now we had around constant 30°C and everything is on fire and the ice cream in stores is gone. And a few years ago we had -22°C in winter. And cold snap/heat wave would account for that (they may need to be a little longer). But, I want a challenge and want them to suffer. So a event for a few years where the temperature is on a offset with would be fun.

@Wanderer_joins
Did not know about the AI problem with the temperature. But if you are fine with just some wool cloth at -120°C then maybe the cloth is way to op and need to be reworked as I doubt some wool jacket would help at -40°C. And if I was a trader and it was -13°C, then I would start to go home too. Unless they have proper cloth which they should have if they go to a cold area.

I also asked on the mod forum and found Climate Cycle ++, so it might be something, going to wait for 1.0 to try it tho.

mndfreeze

I just think an additional slider on world creation to let the PLAYER choose the temp range variation is a good idea.  One can always leave it default if you don't want it to have more extreme swings.

I like playing extreme scenarios where I have to work outside the normal rimworld strategy box.

Scavenger

I coulda sworn I had Temps lower than - 20...
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Serenity

Quote from: Scavenger on August 03, 2018, 07:50:18 PM
Sure, but then your summers usually won't be too crazy

mndfreeze

Quote from: Scavenger on August 03, 2018, 07:50:18 PM

Yeah this isn't about the top or bottom temps, you can definitely set up a map to be ultra extreme cold or hot.  This is asking for a larger variance between the two on the same map.   Instead of just having the option of ultra cold and slightly less cold, give us the option to have a huge variance between the two. So winters are ULTRA cold and summers are SUPER blistering for example.  Currently I think the system variance is only like roughl 15 or 20c not counting events like cold snaps.

qurffe

Well, not certainly sure, but in my last game of 1.0 i think had winters of -13C and summers highs at 28C (without cold snaps and heat waves). that seems like nice range to me? it was Temperate Forest (30 days growing), and also i would mention dont really trust info about tempratures when you are choosing the map as it seems misleading (not really the min/max temperatures you get), at least in my experience.