Food Consumption on Caravans

Started by Kayrah, August 02, 2018, 03:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayrah

So, this is a big question mark for me. Its impossible to me how the food system works for caravans. This needs a big overhaul. Like, what food is used first and so on. And the math is not understandable to me either, it seems the forage is not calculated into it. Like sometimes they have infinite food and sometimes they starve traveling, although there are berries and stuff.

LanceKalvaz

Just off the top of my head, you didn't have carnivore animals who had nothing but berries/hay did you?

Does that even matter? Is that a thing?

Kayrah

no i didnt use any animals. but it seems whether or not the party can use berries they first use their meals and they dont care whether or not they use simple meals first. so you give them 20 simple meals and 20 suvival packs and they will eat the packs first, then the meals (when theyre not spoiled then...) and then they might start eating berries it seems.

Kayrah

its also pretty annoying there is no option to autopack them sleeping bags, so you manually have to give them everytime. kinda reminds me on roofs. please let them dismantle roofs automatically.
besides, when a caravan comes back you have to assign them to their appropriate bed rooms every time again :(

LvlOneMage

I feel like caravan food selection should be an options menu thing or have another UI element associated with forming the caravan to designate what can/should be eaten when packed.

Then it should just be a matter of Tynan assigning food that is perishing to be eaten first if it's on the eatable list followed by foraged food.

It took me a bit to figure out foraging but you need a pawn with high Plants (growing) skill to get good yield from foraging and then it has to be in a biome with good yield. You then have to factor in what your animals eat.

I'm not sure what animals will eat first tho. For example idk if animals that can graze will just not eat hay if you have hay with you or if carnivores will eat raw meat before meals. I'm sure someone smarter than me will figure those bits out tho if they haven't already.

LanceKalvaz

They automatically eat the survival meals first while the fine dining spoils?

Welp, that's it, pemmican for everyone. A metric ton of it. We can't have nice things on the rim.

LvlOneMage

All hail our Lord and Savior, Pemmican.

Ukas

Quote from: Kayrah on August 02, 2018, 04:56:34 PM
its also pretty annoying there is no option to autopack them sleeping bags, so you manually have to give them everytime. kinda reminds me on roofs. please let them dismantle roofs automatically.
besides, when a caravan comes back you have to assign them to their appropriate bed rooms every time again :(

Probably this is what bugs me the most in caravan system. I've kinda learned how much food to pack and when more might be necessary so that's not really a problem, but I've forgot so many sleeping bags around the world just because they have to be unistalled before going to the caravan screen.