So after playing a while, I miss some features :)

Started by Kayrah, August 03, 2018, 09:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kayrah

-autodeconstruct roofs.
its weird, that you have to do it manually in the first place

-option to autoequip food/bedrolls/medicine for caravans
its tedious

-aim for bodyparts, so you can capture good pawns and it makes the combat more tactical and/or give an easier option to capture fleeing pawns
headshot the dangerous ones and legshot the industrious ;)

-being able to build or purchase cleaning and hauling robots
its a scifi game without robots? and its neccessary for the lategame to free pawns for real work.

erdrik

I don't really agree with any of these.

-I like that roofs need to be manually constructed and deconstructed.
In fact I would like to see it pushed farther in that direction and have the option to make different kinds of roofs. Skylight roofs to let some light in, Heavy Duty roofs to survive one of two hits from a mortar, Solar panel roofs...

-I don't even see how this is an issue. You just pick a bedroll in the caravan setup menu and they go get it. How is that tedious?

-You think the game supports Colonists calling shots? Even Master Snipers miss horribly on a regular basis. Being able to call the shot isn't going to change anything.

-There is a mod that adds colony robots. Its been around for a long while too. The problem with them, and why they probably won't be added, is because they remove drama and story telling. Part of what makes Rimworld so tense and capable of telling dramatic stories is that there is so much to do and never enough hands to do it.

Kayrah

I dont mind getting different roofs, but when I deconstruct a wall its pretty obvious I want to remove the roof as well and dont get crushed by it. Since they automatically build roofs its pretty unintuitive that they dont deconstruct them as well.

Nope, the caravan management is annoying, because the bedrolls are somewhere between beds and sorted by value, so not even at the same spot. Its tedious to manually select them every time. Tedious and complicated menues dont make a challenging or good game.

I think Jagged Alliance had one of the best combat systems out there and Id like to see something comparable to it. Either way, I want an option to capture enemies without the risk of killing them. Maybe different kinds of ammuniton like rubber bullets.

There is no storytelling in cleaning floors. You can just take any other pawn and just make him a cleaning bot (better if you could actually capture them reliable). I definitely think the game should give you the option to outtech some problems to have a consistent flow.

erdrik

Quote from: Kayrah on August 03, 2018, 03:53:04 PM
I dont mind getting different roofs, but when I deconstruct a wall its pretty obvious I want to remove the roof as well and dont get crushed by it. Since they automatically build roofs its pretty unintuitive that they dont deconstruct them as well.
I have on several occasions deconstructed a wall to expand a room or to reshape it. I do not want the constructors to start taking down the roof when all I want to do is remodel. They are just going to end up putting it back up. There are also many occasions when I want to deconstruct a wall because I want to convert an existing room to a porch with an overhang. This is especially important now that rain can cause the "soaking wet" mood thought. There is a Remove Roof Zone for a reason. Use it before deconstructing a room and you won't crush your pawns.

Nope, the caravan management is annoying, because the bedrolls are somewhere between beds and sorted by value, so not even at the same spot. Its tedious to manually select them every time. Tedious and complicated menues dont make a challenging or good game.
The fix to that problem is not automating a game mechanic. The fix is proper filter and list order options in the caravan menu. It is generally a very bad idea to try and fix UI problems by altering actual game mechanics.

I think Jagged Alliance had one of the best combat systems out there and Id like to see something comparable to it. Either way, I want an option to capture enemies without the risk of killing them. Maybe different kinds of ammuniton like rubber bullets.
Non-lethal weapons have been suggested before, and have never been added. Im not opposed to the idea, but I get the feeling Tynan is. I think the closest option is clubs or maces. They deal a lot of up front damage that typically doesn't cause bleeding or loss of limbs, and seem to have a better chance of knocking pawns out in my experience.

There is no storytelling in cleaning floors. You can just take any other pawn and just make him a cleaning bot (better if you could actually capture them reliable). I definitely think the game should give you the option to outtech some problems to have a consistent flow.
I don't think the game is about consistent flow though. In fact Im pretty sure thats the opposite of what the game's goal is. Also cleaning comes with plenty of direct and indirect stories. For mountain builders infestations that pop up in a room the cleaner is in can potentially creates a rescue mission if the immediate exit becomes blocked. Or my cleaner is off being a lazy jerk instead of cleaning that human filth in Jackie's room, causing her room's quality to go from decent to awful. Which pushes her over the edge into a berserk rage. Oops the cleaner didn't get to that mess in the kitchen, now John's got food poisoning.

I think you are thinking of this like you are building an official colony for some grand unified empire with standardized advanced tech to support you. You are not. You are a group of loosely friendly refugees that fell from a damaged cryo ship onto a planet you were not supposed to fall on. A planet that is way out in the boonies cut off from every official authority that could possibly exist. No one will help your colonists. No one will support them. And any tech they make is going to be cobbled together kit-bashes that barely function.
This is the wild west. Think Firefly, not Star Trek.

Serenity

There are times when you want full control over roofs. Especially during toxic fallout. Another application is too roof over an wood powered generator or a crematorium

When it was enough to keep wood outside, but roofed you could also build nice wood sheds.

Kayrah

the current state is: i construct a room, the roof is constructed automatically. If I deconstruct the room, the roof collapses on my pawns unless I manually remove the roof area, deconstruct the walls, then add roof area again when I want to build another room there. meh! i dont want to take away any control over roof areas, just deconstruct them before they collapse.

Thing with good games is you have progression. While its fine to get setbacks during raids and whatever its kinda boring when you cant develop the base anymore because you are missing new pawns or ressources (because no trading ships come around for weeks) or your current pawns are busy cleaning and hauling items. Also I dont know Firefly and I dont mind StarTrek, but a cleaning robot is available on Amazon right now and we dont have Starships yet ;) Also this thing would be quite valuable as well, so you definitely dont want to lose it to infestations either.

erdrik

Quote from: Kayrah on August 04, 2018, 05:20:07 AM
... deconstruct the walls, then add roof area again when I want to build another room there. ...

Ignore Roof Zone, as soon as the deconstruction/construction project is done. That way the next room you build there will auto build the roof.

... If I deconstruct the room, the roof collapses on my pawns unless I manually remove the roof area ...

I want that threat to be there. I remember playing before roofing was manual. Roofing in regards to building/removing rooms was thoughtless. I like that I have to be careful and put some thought into how to tear down rooms.

Thing with good games is you have progression. ...

Progression is not the only thing that makes a good game.
Knowing when and where to use your game's attributes to match your intended theme is what makes a great game.

Also I dont know Firefly and I dont mind StarTrek, but a cleaning robot is available on Amazon right now and we dont have Starships yet ;)

A cleaning robot might be found in a wild west. But it would not be produced in one. And if built would be cobbled together with whatever is laying around, and not be all that functional as a result. The whole point of the "wild west" is that it is wild, untamed, and lacking in easily or even any accessible support from civilization. (like being able to buy robots from Amazon) The era this occurs in is not relevant.
The wild west could be in an ancient high fantasy story or an ultra advanced sci fi. The Era doesn't matter, only that the plot surrounds characters that are cut off from civilization, and are living in a wild and untamed/lawless area.

Also this thing would be quite valuable as well, so you definitely dont want to lose it to infestations either.
By the very nature of being buildable, it would be less valuable than a colonist. Simply due to the Storyteller having population limits, and the unpredictability of getting new colonists. Robots may be "valuable" due to expense, but colonists will always be more valuable, and therefore make robots expendable.

Sorry but in my opinion, Robots like this should remain in the realm of modding.