Anyone want to help me out with JPEG sizing?

Started by Teleblaster18, August 04, 2018, 02:02:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teleblaster18

Right now, I'm taking screenshots of this game via Steam using F12.  I want to upload them directly to this site instead of using a hosting service (like Imgur, which I'm currently using...and the pictures show up obnoxiously large), but the file sizes are waaaay too large to upload, and when I try to downscale them, they look like absolute garbage.  Ditto when I try to convert them into a different format.

Anyone know of the proper way to do this: take a screenshot in JPEG format, and keep the file size as low as possible...while still retaining the clarity of the shot?  Either through Steam, or whatever methods Windows supports.  I feel like somewhat of a noob, but I knew exactly how to do this at one point, and forgot.  I blame the amphetamines.

If you play guitar or bass, I'll reciprocate with free gear advice - I'll answer any question that you have about gear.  It's my field of expertise. :)

If not...you'll have my eternal gratitude.  Which is almost as good.

mabor0shi

If you're using Windows, press ' windows key + print screen ' to take a PNG screenshot, then convert it to JPG. Maybe will work.
Cool Mod, Bro Everything in RimWorld doesn't have to be either brown or grey anymore: Now you can Pick a Color!

Kirby23590

You could try cropping it with any image editor if you're talking about the the size of the image.

That could help too. Try getting the best image to crop & showing the most important part of the screenshot that you're trying to show.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

milon

I personally really like IrfanView for cropping & resizing photos.  You can even lower the color depth to decrease file size.  It's totally free, has a bunch of filters, etc.  Try it out!  :)

Jibbles

You can make it appear smaller with code when you're showing pics from hosts like imgur.
It's just better IMO since you don't have to worry about the restrictions and several other benefits.
Here's an example using width. You can also use height but I mainly use that for long pics.
You can also put them in a table but that's not needed, just fyi.

[img width=100]https://i.imgur.com/cXakjyG.png[/img]

5thHorseman

If you want a full-screen screenshot, you're going to bump on the 600k limit here if not overstep it with a typical jpg. I find if I knock the quality down a bit it fits.

Note that the 600k limit is PER POST so if you've got 10 pictures, it's going to get annoying quick. Not just for you posting, but for people reading.

As to what I use to fiddle with images, I use good old GIMP. Just save as a jpg and it gives a dialog for quality. Knock it down 5 percent or so and bam you're good. Haven't tried it with Rimword but in my experience you can knock it down surprisingly far sometimes and see almost no degradation in the image.

For command line stuff, I also like ImageMagick. Particularly its "convert" command. But I never bother to use it if I want fine-tuned control over the image quality.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.