[1.1] Search and Destroy

Started by Roolo, August 04, 2018, 04:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roolo

Tired of pawns lounging about during the heat of the battle after their first kill? Or got an easy raid and don't want to micromanage everything? Toggle Search and Destroy to let the AI take control over your pawns while you sit back and enjoy the slaughter. When enabled, your pawns will use the exact same AI as NPC pawns. This mod is intended to complement manual control and alleviate some micro-management, not to completely replace manual control (well, you can completely replace it, but you probably shouldn't). You can always give manual orders to pawns in Search and Destroy mode, and can toggle the mode easily for each pawn at any time, so you can always intervene when you see a pawn starting a really bad idea.         

Dependencies
mod depends on Hugslib. Load order should be: Hugslib -> Search and Destroy

Download
GitHub
Steam

Features
- Activate Search and Destroy so drafted pawns look for and attack enemies automatically.
- Give manual orders while a pawn is in Search and Destroy mode at any time. You'll never like you're not in control!
- Depends on the vanilla AI (also used by NPCs), which is well tested and works for many situations. Of course it isn't perfect but it should help reducing micromanagement, especially during easy fights.
- Two separate buttons for melee and ranged pawns. Having two buttons allows you to select a group of pawn, and activate search and destroy only for for instance melee pawns (you'll see, this is very convenient).
- Search and destroy is deactivated when a pawn is undrafted to prevent unexpected situations when you draft a pawn at a later moment.

Permissions
Feel free to add the mods to modpacks or to use the code or icons for other projects. Do however not release exact copies of my project, or exact copies with minor adjustments without my consent.

Contributing
-Translations are very welcome. You can make a pull request on github if you want to add in translations, or you can PM me.

If you really like my mods, please consider buying me a coffee.

Canute

So basicly it work's like an undrafted pawn set at aggresive ?

Would it be possible to create a guard command with a range.
So at example, you draft a mellee, set guard 10 tile, and when an enemy come's within that range the pawn attack, and move back to that original postion if he don't got another enemy.

Roolo

Quote from: Canute on August 04, 2018, 10:03:43 AM
So basicly it work's like an undrafted pawn set at aggresive ?

Would it be possible to create a guard command with a range.
So at example, you draft a mellee, set guard 10 tile, and when an enemy come's within that range the pawn attack, and move back to that original postion if he don't got another enemy.

Well not exactly. With search and destroy pawns actively search in a very large radius and engage enemies, so it's more offensive than defensive. Also you can switch between manual and automatic control much more fluently, especially when after the next update the thing on the current issues list is solved.  Plus pawns  being drafted means they won't do any other chores. Moreover, your pawns will use all tactics NPC pawns also use, i.e. taking cover, getting out of range when being engaged in melee as a rannged pawn, etc.

Guard duty is a nice idea, but I honestly want to keep this mod very simple (but useful) and focus my efforts on other mods I'm working on. This way people get what they expect, and I won't end up spending a lot of time on all kinds of nice extras.

rawrfisher

So I guess that rules out the option for shotgunners and other short range gunners as well?  I might have misread your opening post
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Roolo

Quote from: rawrfisher on August 04, 2018, 11:11:13 AM
So I guess that rules out the option for shotgunners and other short range gunners as well?  I might have misread your opening post

It works for both melee and ranged pawns, so also your shotgunners. Ranged and melee pawns both have a separate button though for easier group control. I just removed the word "melee" in the first sentence of the description to avoid confusion.

rawrfisher

Quote from: Roolo on August 04, 2018, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: rawrfisher on August 04, 2018, 11:11:13 AM

It works for both melee and ranged pawns, so also your shotgunners. Ranged and melee pawns both have a separate button though for easier group control. I just removed the word "melee" in the first sentence of the description to avoid confusion.

Oh cool
Professional jerk

Roolo

Update -> v1.0.2

- Fixed: manual orders getting queued instead of applied directly in Search and Destroy mode.
- Added hotkeys.

Since this update you can weave in manual orders while a pawn is in Search and Destroy mode without any problems, greatly increasing the usefulness of this mod. Enjoy!

Edit: From now on you can also download the mod from Steam.

Mitz

Dear roolo,
i had a 2v3 with my colonists using starter knife and revolver, while the three i was fighting had 2 autopistols and a magnum, a tough hitting long range pistol.
my crappy tactics were replaced by the NPC tactics and i actually survived.
thank you!
It's sad autism's an insult, then i must be an insult.
and my cat also must be an insult, as well as every other cat in the universe.
space cats.

rawrfisher

Was kinda hesitent about mentioning this but they dont exactly update pathing that often do they?
I regularly see them run into an enemy cluster get shotup then try running away
Professional jerk

Roolo

Quote from: Mitz on August 20, 2018, 12:13:04 PM
Dear roolo,
i had a 2v3 with my colonists using starter knife and revolver, while the three i was fighting had 2 autopistols and a magnum, a tough hitting long range pistol.
my crappy tactics were replaced by the NPC tactics and i actually survived.
thank you!

Cool! It was never my intention that Search and Destroy would outperforms players, but cool to hear it can happen :)

Quote from: rawrfisher on August 20, 2018, 12:54:47 PM
Was kinda hesitent about mentioning this but they dont exactly update pathing that often do they?
I regularly see them run into an enemy cluster get shotup then try running away

Yes, that's a limitation of the Vanilla AI. As a player you really have to decide when it's a good moment to apply Search and Destroy. For me that's often the case when the initial positioning of the battle already took place, and I want to make sure the shorter ranged and melee pawns keep participating in battle. Or when I'm just lazy and don't care about a perfect outcome I'm also glad to use it :).

Also, mind that you can always correct pawns by manually ordering them if they're messing up.

rawrfisher

Finally now updateing the mod since default tactics fail hardcore against some raids I been finding
Professional jerk

Roolo

Update:
v1.0.4
- Unarmed pawns capable of violence can now also use search and destroy.
- Added support for Android Tiers.
- Added Hugslib checker
- Added Korean translations (by orange mushroom)

Roolo

Update:
v1.1.0
- Updated for Rimworld 1.0

forumgod

Your github link shows a "source code" download and not a release, it might confuse some people.

iceball3

I don't suppose there's a B18 version in existence anywhere? I can totally understand if it doesn't exist of course, just been having too much of a blast with CE to leave it behind by updating :P