I have stopped playing the game because of raiders

Started by Kyle, October 30, 2013, 09:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle

They've angered me enough now to actually stop playing until something is changed, I have 3 colonists and have no way of getting more by the time raiders come, there are roughly around 30 raiders each wave for me it's become a joke. I have tried every defense mechanism in the game. I give up. Please change the amount of raiders that come each wave.

Zorbane

Syagria

What storyteller are you using? When I play with Cassandra Classic I get one raider after a few days.

Spike

Yeah, my first thought is to ask what storyteller you're running on, and that leads to how it ramps up.  I know Tynan has made some changes from the first videos, but that is one of the things I saw with (the old) Cassandra Classic - it would ramp up the raiders pretty fast, from 1, 3, 6, many.

I do wonder how the game decides what to send though - is it a straight timer, or is there some counter mechanic that the player can influence.  Like the way Dwarf Fortress uses your fortress wealth alongside the savagery of the area to determine how tough of a force to throw at you.

AspenShadow

Atm it's a steadily ramping increase in raiders (and or their gear), it's inefficient and doesn't produce long playthroughs but that's kind of the point at this stage. The storytellers are far from complete and the eventual idea will be that the AI will be able to detect 'how the player is doing' and adjust difficulty accordingly rather than simply keep ramping things up until it's a Turret Defence game like present.

Speaking as I mainly test Phoebe Friendly, it gets boring VERY quickly and it's not really an alternative to people struggling with masses of raiders. I've never had that degree of bad luck with raiders but I haven't played too far into Cassandra yet.

Kyle

I chose Cassandra Classic and I got 1 raider then I thought alright picking this storyteller was a good idea, then by the next raid there was over 15 raiders and I had 3 turrets set up.

Couldn't do anything to save myself.

Semmy

You sure you didnt by accident get randy..
i never went from 1 to 15 raiders.

it always goes like 1 3 3 6 7 9 7 11 something like that
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

AspenShadow

Quote from: Kyle on November 01, 2013, 02:03:53 PM
I chose Cassandra Classic and I got 1 raider then I thought alright picking this storyteller was a good idea, then by the next raid there was over 15 raiders and I had 3 turrets set up.

That does sound more like a bug of some sort to me, I've NEVER had that sudden increase in number. My last playthrough went 1, 3, 4, 4 w/ better gear, 6 w/ better gear and then I stopped before being destroyed due to new build published.

Technical Ben

You can survive with little more than a turret or two. But you need defenses, hiding places, and some poor aimed Molotovs from the raiders.

If in doubt, wall yourself in... ;)

UsF

I also use Cassandra Classic and get owned on the second raid by around 6 raiders. It is rather silly.

Does the game have an algorythm that somehow estimates your strength by how much you have build? Because I love stocking up on power, as raids always seem to happen during eclipses, when you have no solar power and need that stored energy.

Chicken Breast

I was quite discouraged by the slaughter at first as well, my friend. Have no worry, it just takes time losing all of your people and your whole base over and over again until you slowly start implementing new strategies about how to deal with raiders.

In the turret defense aspect I have been more than successful. I make choke points with walls and the natural cliff formations, to slow them down with rubble in dumps and make them meet three turrets in strategic positions when they hit that corner. That, plus some sandbags by nearby corners, with some people there. This is a little more advanced of a tactic meant for when you are facing about twenty raiders. I use a lighter version for the beginning and build up.

I honestly recommend a relocation at the beginning of most matches unless you really luck out, because the map usually has a better place if you start out at something too basic or open. I am even playing on Tough Cassandra right now though and though she has given me some trouble, I have used the above strategy plus some blasting charges to keep my colony going and expanding for 16 Cycles!

Never underestimate cover, it can really do magic. On that note, don't underestimate the tactic of funneling either. It will really blow your mind how easy it can make it, though have no surprise if they try to burn your walls down anyway, because they will.

Sig by Me!

sparda666

if you make your base in a cave, you can make the entrance a long  1-block wide corridor and put mines in it leaving enough space for a chokepoint at the end. mines will blow away some rock, but raiders will still be forced to run through a corridor full of mines. theyll never even get to your colonists or base, as long as you can hide your solar panels

yabbadabbado

I agree with the OP, however OP, realize these are such early builds that all of our complaints are unfounded until later into development. Great example being games like Project Zomboid, who to this day have 0 NPCs on their new build rehash.. and are considering bumping the price to $15 USD. Which is a joke quite frankly. The game has very few features as it stands. You can't even play as a zombie with a nice metagame or anything yet. Why not just add more- I digress, you get the picture. This game has more features than that and is only in pre-alpha stage, why worry?

Kyle

It seems I have a bug if I'm the only one going from 1 raider to 15. I'll start a new story all together then.

enystrom8734

If I am correct Ill assume you have 232. There was rebalancing post 232. Shouldnt be complaining about a non supported version...

Also wrong section.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734