Ramsi's Big Ol' Idea Checklist!

Started by Ramsis, June 26, 2014, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these ideas do you think are Vanilla worthy?

Temperature Systems
9 (47.4%)
Hauling Assistants
9 (47.4%)
Education
8 (42.1%)
Husbandry
13 (68.4%)
Pets/Beasts of Burden
12 (63.2%)
Turrets
11 (57.9%)
Security
14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Ramsis

*EDIT: Okay so apparently my topic just got dragged straight to suggestions.... Meh, not a big fan of that personally as I'd much rather get some support before physically drawing up plans and ideas for a proper suggestions post but ah well.

So for those of you who know me, which is actually quite a bit of you now as I seem to get more and more of you on my Skype/Steam list.. you know I like to ask around on if my ideas for the game are suggestion worthy or not. Call it silly if you will but the community is a good judge for ideas and an even better judge when it comes to supporting whether or not an idea is even worth the time and effort to express it. We have mods that fill every nook and cranny of the Sub-Forum that lead to some serious inspiration alongside the ever growing number of contributors that is the Suggestions sub. If any of my ideas get enough support I may try to push and advance on them more before posting suggestion spots and talking about it on the IRC.

Okay so, list time:

1. Temperature Systems (Ty already plans for it)
More or less just bringing the hot/cold understanding to RimWorld but with a nice bit of detail. We turned days into months and years so why not bring in Faren and Cels temp understandings... preferably with the ability to choose which one so both sides of the board know what's going on. Too hot in your base? Build a few modulators or AC units! Too cold in your snow huts? Time to light up the fireplace or turn on the heater! This also brings in a few cool sub-ideas:

Weather Wear: With the changing of the seasons/temp your colonists now need to dress for the occasion. Jackets and what not for winter, lesser clothes for Summer. Pretty straightforward.

Biomes: We already have biomes sort of, with temps locations make a lot more sense.

New Material: Snow and Ice can be used to make makeshift and cheap housing options.

Storyteller options: Heatwaves, drought, snow up to WAZOO, Summer floods, bountiful harvests, etc. Many great abilities open up with the addition of Temperatures.

2. Hauling Assistants
Now I want to leave this one relatively open but as someone who adores using Project K9's ability to have a few mutts running around hunting and hauling materials for you I've become keen on the idea of making hauling a more efficient system. I said I wanted to leave this open and by all means I still want to. Hauling can be done by hand now, but what if we added something as simple as carts? A full cart slows a colonist by quite a bit but lets them carry twice if not three times more. Research an upgrade or two and carry more while moving faster! A new upgrade unlocks a much nicer and more effecient cart, etc! Don't want to add cart logic to the game Ty? Why not backpacks! We have clothes already, just give us a bunch of accessories to work with such as a backpack that increases carry limits by a certain amount. Still not good enough for you? Why not make lesser tram networks? Maybe a railway with a silly little metal cart or even something like a small hovercart that people can ride in. The options for this are limitless!

3. Education
We have teachers and plenty of opportunities to work education into the game. Ty worked on a school like prototype forever ago that obviously didn't get very far and while education doesn't have to be that advanced it could lead to some wonderful situations where after a few days being taught by someone with a certain type of skill the students come out better at what they do. Maybe even just a shadowing system at some point where more EXP is gained during tasks. Just a thought.

4. Husbandry
Just posting this here because it's a pretty often requested thing from people here. Capture and raise animals, pretty straight forward.

5. Pets/Beast of Burden
Animal companions for your base. We have Project K9 out already that gives you dogs that do it all for those in dire need but lets get something similar into vanilla! Take a muffalo, train it, put a cart on it's back and BAM you can haul things, maybe a big hoe or something and it can help you in the gardens/farms.

6. Turrets (Yes Ty, most of us actually like Turrets!)
Okay boys and girls, show of hands... How many of you ACTUALLY BUILD WEBS OF TURRETS?! I know I do and I will never stop unless turrets get removed completely. I don't want to risk losing half of my colonists to a bunch of random pricks coming to raid my base. The kicker? It's normally my 4-10 colonists versus 15-20 better armed than me warriors that show up once a week. It's nuts and honestly it's why the turret mods tend to be so popular. Minami had the right idea folks; Gun Posts. It's more or less just a turret that you can glue a gun to, this lets you customize a turret into whatever you want it to be as far as I understand it. There, that would be the miracle fix for turrets right there, customizable turrets.

7. Security
I don't care for Mortars and I sure as hell think we need better turrets, but hey screw it let us turn out bases into warzones. Embrasures has the right idea. Give us ports to shoot out of, maybe a watchtower or some means of punishing our enemies that get too close.

That's pretty much all I've got for now. Vote friends on whatever ideas you think are suggestions board worthy and I'll draw up some stuff. Oh you can also multi-vote so... god speed!

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Fernbhoy

Quote5. Pets/Beast of Burden
Animal companions for your base. We have Project K9 out already that gives you dogs that do it all for those in dire need but lets get something similar into vanilla! Take a muffalo, train it, put a cart on it's back and BAM you can haul things, maybe a big hoe or something and it can help you in the gardens/farms.

i for one welcome my army of trained boomrats

TankaaKumawani

In order of priority:
4. and 5. Closely linked, you could lump the two together to some extent as they share elements.
1.  This also allows for Fun With Thermodynamics.
2.  If there's one thing that brings a colony to its knees, it's logistics
7.  One word:  Pillboxes
3.  It probably provides a social interaction boost for colonists too.  Better Morale Through Education...at least for folks who are passionate about what they're learning.
6.  Eh, when you get around to it.

Ramsis

Would kill for actual pillboxes...
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Untrustedlife

Quote from: fernbhoy on June 26, 2014, 09:16:54 PM

Ive always wanted a war-muffalo....
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

vagineer1

Quote from: Untrustedlife on June 29, 2014, 12:42:00 AM
Quote from: fernbhoy on June 26, 2014, 09:16:54 PM

Ive always wanted a war-muffalo....

If I can train one I would be one step closer to being a Tusken Raider.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.