I'd love to see bayonets added

Started by mndfreeze, August 19, 2018, 03:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mndfreeze

I'd really love to see some sort of better 'melee' option for ranged people.  Not anything that's great or OP, just something that makes your ranged pawns a little more effective when you get caught in melee range by weaker stuff like animals and such.  I know some people have asked for pawns to be able to carry both a melee weapon and ranged and IMO that would be pretty damn OP, but something like a craft-able bayonets we can add to some guns, or even a new ranged weapon that has a bayonet on it and is a good blend of ranged/melee would be nice.  It could be like a hunting rifle with a little less range, or weaker damage, etc and increased melee damage.

Call me Arty

I personally really like the Ferals expansion to the Rimsenal mod, where it's an entire faction equipped with weapons you'd picture a brawler-trait-having pawn using. Classic Quake array of pistol-machinegun-shotgun-sniper-rocketlauncher-oddball, all lacking in the range and overall reliability of their conventional counterparts. Thing is, they all have close-quarters modifications, like an axehead on the shotgun, or spearhead on the sniper. As somebody who has never written a piece of code in my life, I'd imagine it would probably be simplest to make specific weapons for that purpose rather than adding the possibility to modify weapons that we have now, otherwise you'd have to deal with modifying interfaces or double the bills menu for the machining bench with "Assault rifle, Assault rifle - bayonet."

Or just incorporate simple sidearms and get over the fact that you can have a minigun, but not a knife and pistol at the same time.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

dogui

+1 bayonets concept
+100 simple sidearms mod. Great and necessary for vanilla game.

haanuman

I'd like to see an addition of bayonets too, would be great if it does happen in the future.

Kirby23590

Hmmm...

Seems really simple to add it to a mod.

A bayonet rifle can be handy if melee guys come close. Otherwise i prefer simple sidearms since there are quicker weapons or more damaging ones like plasteel or uranium ones. But a bayonet rifle can help if the enemy charging in is weak or has an annoying weapon like grenades. Besides who doesn't like a shotgun a pitchfork tapped into it? ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

deshara218

the problem with the idea of having pawns equipped with two guns is that it makes having every gun act like a sidearm. It... makes choosing a sniper no longer choosing a sniper. It waters down the self-expression of choosing to arm somebody with long ranged weapons, and makes arming somebody with close range weapons pointless because now everybody has them.
And it completely negates melee weapons entirely.
If this were an action game where system's mastery included how effectively the player used weapons that wouldn't be an issue, but for a management game where system's mastery is pre-prep for the type of enemies being faced and preparing your settlement for emergencies... it's better as it is.

Studly Spud

Yep I'd love to see simple sidearms added to the base game.  Even if it was such that you could only equip a knife as a sidearm.  Nothing bigger, no guns.  Because honestly your professional hunter is in such trouble with animal revenge sometimes, he kinda should have a knife.

Goldenpotatoes

The problem is that the ranged weapon changes in 1.0 were made to have obvious pros/cons between melee and ranged fighters. If ranged fighters could carry a suitable melee sidearm, then there'd be less reason to diversify your combat pawns and do things like a melee front line that protects your ranged units from getting rushed.

Range beats melee until melee closes the gap, it's a simple balance that works well. There's plenty of counters to it as well (shield belts/smoke belts help close the gap, EMP grenades disable shield belts so range can actually hurt the melee user, ect).

Kirby23590

Quote from: Studly Spud on August 20, 2018, 07:13:28 PM
Yep I'd love to see simple sidearms added to the base game.  Even if it was such that you could only equip a knife as a sidearm.  Nothing bigger, no guns.  Because honestly your professional hunter is in such trouble with animal revenge sometimes, he kinda should have a knife.

Agreed.

I would also give grenadiers a sidearm whether be an simple machine pistol or a knife. Even though i bring two hunters drafted in hunting food it's nice to give them a secondary weapon like a gladius, knife or a even handy pistol or revolver.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Scavenger

I mentioned wanting to add this awhile back! The only thing I'm concerned with, it makes guns to good all around. Making standard melee weapons not as good.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Studly Spud

A good sword should still beat a knife any day.  Especially if maybe bulky armour hurts your ranged accuracy somewhat, so then melee users also have the advantage of better armour.  And maybe there is scope for some futuristic vibrosword or chainsword or something, which would be even better again than the knife your cornered sniper pulls out.

Call me Arty

Don't tell me this won't be half of you.
Why are you focusing on having a personal life rather than updating a mod that you're not paid to work on?

If there's a mistake in my post, please message me so I can fix it!

vampiresoap

I think Tynan might just add the Simple Sidearms mod into the base game. The last time I looked into this issue, Rimworld didn't even have a melee option for range pawns. They had to fight enemies with their bare hands.

dogui

+1
Simple sidearms is perfect. Essential, clever, clear.
and what about simple sidearms + Run and Gun?
It would be perfect.

To me, this two mods are necessary to improve Rimworld experience.
They are not just MODS, they are Pure Rimworld Vanilla Game and Philosophy improvements.