How to plan amount of raw food ingredients?

Started by Thom Blair III, August 10, 2018, 02:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lancefighter

I have a spreadsheet in google docs that I reference for various plants grow times...

To provide 1.0 nutrition in vegetables per day for one pawn, you need about 15 plots of 100% fert soil rice. Note that 1.0 nutrition is prepared into 2 meals (1.8 total), which is about what a human pawn eats in a day.

Either consider the climate when doing your math (30/60 grow days -> need twice as much farm, 20/60 -> 3x as much etc), or set up a greenhouse as soon as you can. an 11x11 exterior greenhouse has 47 growable tiles (49 base from 9x9, -1 for lamp, -1 for heater), which can support three pawns as per the math above.

Hydroponics basins of rice are ~5.3 tiles per pawn, due to their 280% fert, so 4 basins is roughly 3 pawns.

Animals are a bit rougher - They eat way more than you expect them to. The problem here is usually they love to eat the least efficient thing they can find, no matter what. A small dog for example has a hunger rate of .25 - roughly .4 total nutrition required a day. They will however love to munch on full human meals for .9 nutrition, overfilling ~.7 nutrition each meal. The bigger the animal, the less of a big deal overeating is - Huskies and similar are .5 hunger rate (.8 a day, usually two meals of .5ish), and things closer to medium sized (humans) will eat 1.6 food (.9 twice a day, because they eat around .2 hunger and it fills them to 1.0).

For the moment, I just treat every roughly medium animal as an additional human, because it simplifies my math and I have to worry less about kibble and hay. Speaking of - Haygrass is a scam, dont bother with it. The only useful thing it does is stack to 200. Its nutrition per tile is only marginally better, and being unable to cook it into meals is actually a gigantic downside. If you can reliably make kibble, kibble is better than feeding your animals human meals, but generally not worth the hassle (as you can just make kibble out of rice anyway)

Awe

Quote from: Lancefighter on August 12, 2018, 02:43:12 PM
Either consider the climate when doing your math (30/60 grow days -> need twice as much farm, 20/60 -> 3x as much etc), or set up a greenhouse as soon as you can. an 11x11 exterior greenhouse has 47 growable tiles (49 base from 9x9, -1 for lamp, -1 for heater), which can support three pawns as per the math above.

Something wrong with mats. Greenhouse has exactly 100 growing tiles(9x9-1+5x4). And it definitely can support more than 3 pawns.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Awe on August 12, 2018, 06:04:40 PM

Something wrong with mats. Greenhouse has exactly 100 growing tiles(9x9-1+5x4). And it definitely can support more than 3 pawns.
If it can support 6, then the math's right he just had the size of the growing area wrong. And from my no-mathing-just-playing experience it does seem to support about 6.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Lancefighter

Quote from: Awe on August 12, 2018, 06:04:40 PM

oy youre right, 9x9 is 81. should be 6 pawns if youre using hte full growing area (11x11 interior, so 13x13 exterior)