Best way to prevent explosive battery discharge?

Started by Thom Blair III, August 07, 2018, 08:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbqftw

You have to go completely conduitless afaik to dodge the zzt event.

This is what I used to do in b18, but I think the efficiency gain from conduit setups + certain techs that require a very 'disorganized' base outweigh it.

lancar

2 battery banks, with like 6 each, locked behind switches. Just like previous people have described, it works well to limit the effects of the zzzt event.
Secondly, run all wires through stone walls where possible. These cannot burn and thus will contain the fires quite a bit.
Thirdly, build wires with redundancy in mind. This means that your whole wire network should not be a line, but instead a loop. Since zzzt can never strike two locations at once this means that you will never have a section suddenly without power because power will come from the other end of the loop instead.

Bolgfred

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 08, 2018, 06:53:15 AM
Quote from: Bolgfred link=topic=43165.msg425354#msg425354
u]5 Bedrooms connected with vents in a row[/u]
-1 solar 1 battery 4 coolers (12°C), 4 heaters(30°C)
=> The room in the middle will have more extrem temperature, but within normal range whilst the more outside are normal
Do you mean the coolers are at 30 and the heaters at 12?
Nono, coolers to 12 as it's the minimum temperature before the "slept in the cold" debuff pops out. Still it must be as low as possible as the adjacent rooms will only gain the temperature partially, resulting in 17 for the adjacent and 21 for the adjacent adjacent room. Same for the heater. "slept in heat" starts at 32 i think, but adjacents would be lower.
Surely you have to cannot run heater and cooler at the same time, but I suggest temperature devices always to be deactivated, because as long they have energy, they can break down, draining you component stock.
Simply deactivate heaters in the summer and coolers in winter.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Nainara

Conduits built inside stone walls can't short or catch on fire. In mid game consider hardening your far-ranging conduits by overlaying them with stone walls, such as those connecting to geothermal vents. This has a side benefit of partitioning up the map and can slow the pathing of hostiles, which may save the lives of your colonists and livestock.

lancar

Quote from: Nainara on August 11, 2018, 12:35:42 PM
Conduits built inside stone walls can't short or catch on fire. In mid game consider hardening your far-ranging conduits by overlaying them with stone walls, such as those connecting to geothermal vents. This has a side benefit of partitioning up the map and can slow the pathing of hostiles, which may save the lives of your colonists and livestock.

Unless the event has changed after B18, this is not true. Wires can short just fine inside stone walls, but the effects of the explosion are minimized. Especially if you use non-flammable floors as well. Then all you have to do is replace the broken wire and repair some structural damage on the walls themselves.
It is still worth doing for all the other reasons you listed, however =)

Snafu_RW

Just to be clear: do fires now start from a conduit if stone walls are placed on top of combustible flooring in v1? (surrounding at least interior walls with non-combustible flooring makes gameplay sense.. but /under/ the wall..?)
Don't forget that as of B18, ZZtt can occur anywhere you're using power, regardless of battery charge (or even if you have no batteries). I /think/ it's triggered by an overvoltage in the power lines, but I'd have to science it to be sure & that won't happen until this version settles down a bit
Dom 8-)

5thHorseman

Quote from: Snafu_RW on August 12, 2018, 05:27:26 PM
Don't forget that as of B18, ZZtt can occur anywhere you're using power, regardless of battery charge (or even if you have no batteries). I /think/ it's triggered by an overvoltage in the power lines, but I'd have to science it to be sure & that won't happen until this version settles down a bit

I can pretty much guarantee it is based on voltage. I had a drill attached to a geothermal vent, and forgot to attach the vent to my base so the vent was powering the drill. It Zzzt'd out 3 times in as many minutes.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.