Give broken limbs a second chance

Started by Bolgfred, August 13, 2018, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolgfred

Intro:
I just came back from another Scyther fight. Got to assemble 3 peg legs and my builder ist (h)armless now.
Some ears and a kidney is missing aswell, but I think they were gone earlier.

Nevertheless, I mostly feel pretty helpless about this. Surely there are much complains who say dismembering is way too common, but I actually think it's not.

Anyway, my problem is, that I have very good doctors at home, but no one ever could do anything when an ear was lost or an arm is maimed, despite they are very able medics. This leads me to my suggestion:

Idea:
Whenever a limp reaches 0 durability it won't be destroyed, but get the hediff 'maimed', setting effectivity to 0%. The body part can heal up to 50%, but the hediff remains, meaning the pain level will decrease, but stay at 0% effectivity. Furthermore maimed give a chance on infection as long it persists, making it risky to keep a maimed body part.

The Doctor:

Now a really skilled doctor can try to fix this body part with a high chance on failure. I am not deep into medicine numbers, but skill requirements should be 6-10 and with standard medicine a fail chance around 50%.
If the operation succeeds, the body part will be restored with 1 durability, if not it gets permanently destroyed.

exception:
This will not work if durability reaches -50%.  If an arm with
3/30 get hit by a bolt rifle for 18 damage will drop to -15/30 durability, it will be destroyed immediately as this is probably just overkill.
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil