Help needed to run older versions on Mac

Started by GlorpGlorp, August 12, 2018, 05:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlorpGlorp

So I just downloaded and upgraded to .18. I have a pretty developed bunch of save from .15 that I might want to revisit, and the installation message suggested I save to different folders to allow running two versions at the same time (DRM-free download). However when I open up the zip there's a version and the game itself in a folder. Somehow that game file points to /Users/#user/Libraries/Application Support/RimWorld/...
This is where the config and save games are stored. I can't quite figure out where to change this referencing so that the two versions could run independently.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
GlorpGlorp

Canute

Hi,
take a look at the readme.txt from rimworld
QuoteOVERRIDING:
You can override the save data folder. This is useful, for example, if you want to install the game on a USB stick so you can plug and play it from anywhere.
To do this, add this to the end of the command line used to launch the game:

-savedatafolder=C:/Path/To/The/Folder

GlorpGlorp

Perfect! Thanks! Now I just need to find whatever launcher-type file is used for adding the extra bit :)

RicRider

Hey I had this issue and thankfully got some tips a few days ago that led me to work out what to do to get B18 and B19 running on the same machine in different folders. So you don't really need a launcher program (unless you want to search on the Internet how to make a launcher that starts a shell script). You can just open up the Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal), navigate to the folder you need and start RimWorld with the custom savefile parameter at the end.

This is how I start my game now in Terminal when I'm in the game directory:
./RimWorldApp -savedatafolder=SaveData\

Please make sure you put the 'dot slash' at the beginning, that's how you need to run executable files on Unix based systems. What you actually type after the ./ will depend on the RimWorld version you're running, so for me on B19 it's:

./RimWorld2009Mac
##Coding Scrub##