Why do pawns not shoot when attacked by predators?

Started by Thom Blair III, August 12, 2018, 09:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thom Blair III

My pawns with guns default to melee when they get attacked by predators. Is there a setting I have set wrong or is this a bug? Maybe a mod compatibility caused bug? How can I test this in vanilla? What command do I use to make an animal attack a pawn?
I was surprised to read about Angkor Thom in Cambodia. I looked up what "Thom" means and it's "big" or "great", so my avatar icon is ធំ which is "Thom" in Khmer.

bbqftw

by default the response to hostiles when undrafted is "flee". You can set this attack if you want.

Thom Blair III

I do have them set to attack. It just happened again and I caught a screen shot of it and the pawn's priorities:

[attachment deleted due to age]
I was surprised to read about Angkor Thom in Cambodia. I looked up what "Thom" means and it's "big" or "great", so my avatar icon is ធំ which is "Thom" in Khmer.

bbqftw

You cannot shoot in a 1 tile radius, thus if you are caught in melee combat you will have to move them to range, and this can be difficult since all melee attacks (even ones that miss) cause slowing.

Thom Blair III

Oh ok, that makes sense now. I suppose it would be potentially life threatening to try to kill a smallish animal with an assault rifle while it's gnawing on your leg. But what about a bear? I just had another pawn get attacked by a bear and he also meleed. I guess the bear was just too close to get a clean shot. I guess it's easy for me sitting here on my couch to say "why didn't you shoot it?!" when I wasn't getting my face clawed off by a grizzly bear. But could that be a case where just shooting anything would be better than being mauled?

5thHorseman

Quote from: Thom Blair III on August 12, 2018, 10:56:58 PM
Oh ok, that makes sense now. I suppose it would be potentially life threatening to try to kill a smallish animal with an assault rifle while it's gnawing on your leg. But what about a bear? I just had another pawn get attacked by a bear and he also meleed. I guess the bear was just too close to get a clean shot. I guess it's easy for me sitting here on my couch to say "why didn't you shoot it?!" when I wasn't getting my face clawed off by a grizzly bear. But could that be a case where just shooting anything would be better than being mauled?

You're arguing realism when the devs have instituted this as a balance issue. Yes, you should drill that bear with bullets in its brain. No, you can't and the reason you can't is the game won't let you.

Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Yoshida Keiji

Don't we now get a 60 tiles away notification letter?

5thHorseman

No we get a letter when the animal starts. Which tends to from my experience be 10 or so tiles away.

Unless it's a revenge during hunting in which case it's however far you were from the animal during hunting.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

Syrchalis

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 13, 2018, 01:40:03 AM
Don't we now get a 60 tiles away notification letter?
Given the crossed swords symbol he is on B18... in 0.19 the attack symbol is a fist.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

dumpfie

Good catch. If you're on B18 you should be able to draft your pawn and order to shoot, but melee will always be preferred. Just be glad that you still have that option...

Grillbye

Quote from: dumpfie on August 13, 2018, 10:56:44 AM
Good catch. If you're on B18 you should be able to draft your pawn and order to shoot, but melee will always be preferred. Just be glad that you still have that option...
Exactly. I was going to tell him the same until I saw your reply. On B18, if a pawn is being attacked by an animal or a melee-ranged enemy, you can draft him/her and use the button to use the pawn's weapon (assuming he/she's using a gun) so you can make him/her shoot. But above B18 I'm not sure if it's still possible..
Prisoners? Don't wanna keep them? Eat them! ALL of them.

Rei-No

you can order it to shoot all you want the game says they are to close. and they used to just drop there weapon  in the wtX days..

Broken Reality

Quote from: Rei-No on August 13, 2018, 11:48:52 PM
you can order it to shoot all you want the game says they are to close. and they used to just drop there weapon  in the wtX days..

You can use the gun as a melee weapon, they have stats listed for it on the weapon.

Thom Blair III

Is there any way to have pawns carry both a ranged weapon and a melee weapon?

5thHorseman

Quote from: Thom Blair III on August 16, 2018, 08:15:18 PM
Is there any way to have pawns carry both a ranged weapon and a melee weapon?
Power claws? I don't know if they'll use them instead of the ranged weapon as melee, or if you have to drop the ranged weapon first. The wiki is vague on it, just saying it's good on ranged people and not saying how the game mechanics work.