New joy/recreation: Bocce

Started by Bobisme, August 13, 2018, 01:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobisme

roll out that green carpet.. slap in a table n chairs it's Bocce time lol..
Just allocate a bocce area, and away they go

dogui

Make sense.
Simply, easy to build, economic.
+1

Arkay_The_Arcane

I like this. It would be easy to build, but would require some stuff like steel to make the balls. Like a slightly more expensive horseshoes pin, which multiple colonists could use at once.

AileTheAlien

Up to three pawns can use horseshoe pins already. :)

Klomster

While a fun simple idea, it is sort of already represented with the horseshoe pin.

It's a multiplayer throwing accuracy game... Played in a small field... And it's low cost...

Sure, it's not Bocce, but i don't see what Bocce would add except different sprites.
Sounds like the job of a mod.

Bobisme

Valid point. I see what your saying it sorta does the same thing, it's basically a sprite change..  ..remove the pin and you almost have bocce.
  i was going to say they already sit around the chess table why have them 'sitting' around a pool table, but, bad analogy.

To spice it up, you could have semi persistent bocce balls, also i consider horse shoes a single player game, where as  bocce is interactive.

I checked recreation in the Rimworld wiki,  To check on the type of effect, I noticed it actually has a game called hoopstone ring, (that wasn't implemented) where the pins sprite seems to be replaced with a ring and they throw stones, both pin and ring increase shooting. perhaps bocce could increase social as at present there is only 1 social and that is 'relaxing socially' /table n chairs,  i'd still like bocce :D
At the end of the day though, if you set up a 'bocce ball' and a pin next to it, people would say.. 'they look the same'...

The link to recreation for the hell of it
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Recreation

Klomster

Weird, that Hoopstone thing is not something i've ever heard about.

Point is that the pin in the game can be played by 3 simultaneously, that makes it multiplayer.
To make Bocce different one could have that instead of a straight shooting xp.
One could get half as much in shooting and intellectual.
As well as being up to 5 player, or something.

As for a persistent game, that'd probably take some coding. And while it probably isn't difficult to add, the question is rather should it be added.

I'm not hating on the idea, i'm just trying to see the devs point of view.

Bobisme

When i say persistent i don't mean it keeps score, but rather the balls stay there for a certain amount of time as if to say it does 'persist' and keeps score, when in actual fact it just leaves balls there.

I get ya, you've got a valid point, both are practically the same thing, you could almost say it's like setting a second horse shoe pin next to another one, whats the point? :)

I had said change the recreation value as an excuse to keep the dream alive, i still like bocce :P

AileTheAlien

The hoopstone ring is in the game (at least on the unstable branch), but it's only available to Tribal colonies, not the normal industrial-level colonies. Same with the kings-game board vs chess.

Klomster

Seems there are some new games in the unstable version.

And i totally get you like bocce, it'd probably not be too difficult to add for someone who knew what they were doing.
So i suggest a mod. Either a reskin of horseshoe or a new structure. :)