Should weather events be regional? and/or visualized on world map?

Started by Norseman, August 14, 2018, 08:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norseman

Certain events like atomic winter, toxic fallout, heat waves and cold snaps are very local right now. I'd think it would make sense that such events impacted upon the region around the base.

In my current build, I got an atomic winter and toxic fallout, so I moved two hexes over to a jungle spot and sent my animals and farmers over there to get through it all. It felt a bit mechanically abusive, but at least I got to use the multiple colony system to keep my base alive.

Either way, I think it would be logical that nuclear winters, toxic fallout and other weather events happen beyond your local maps. Maybe even upgrade the world map with a weather forecast visual aid to give hints of what's going on. (though I guess that would mess up that "rain when half the map is on fire" script a bit, though local showers isn't that much of a handwave.)

The question is probably if it's too big to add to the beta, and if it's worthy of getting added. Personally I would be happy if there's just regional consistency, with or without visualization of weather patterns on the global map.

zizard

Multi colony is broken in lots of ways. Annoying one is that raids will tend to be synchronised and you end up fighting on both maps at once which is a waste of time.

Hans Lemurson

I think this is a good idea.  It is very odd that these region or planet-spanning events seem to be entirely local in their effects.
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

5thHorseman

Huh. I always avoided sending caravans out during cold snaps for fear that they'd die of frostbite. You're telling me the next tile over it's warm and sunny?
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Snafu_RW

It would be nice if 'regional' (eg fallout, global winter etc) events showed a bloom (area of effect) on the global map, but I don't expect this change  to happen anytime soon :(
Dom 8-)

mlzovozlm

though caravanning during toxic fallout gonna be impossible if it goews regional

RemingtonRyder

If game conditions are permanent then they affect all maps.

I've looked into making game conditions affect the temperature in world map tiles that aren't open maps, but not in a radius around a particular tile. Also, it needs more testing. :)

As for toxic fallout, that's not so easy to do. Honestly, I think caravans escaping a toxic fallout area would have to take a path through caves or something to avoid exposure.

Norseman

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 19, 2018, 07:29:28 PM
Huh. I always avoided sending caravans out during cold snaps for fear that they'd die of frostbite. You're telling me the next tile over it's warm and sunny?
I had a cold snap going on in my temperate forest biome and the animals have eaten all the scrubs, then I got a toxic fallout, so I decided to move base, sending half my people and 4/5ths two hexes away where I had jungle and 5c-35c degrees seasons and no cold snap. Saved a lot of animals from dying to put it that way, but it made it pretty clear that certain mechanics aren't regional.

Quote from: MarvinKosh on August 19, 2018, 07:56:14 PM
If game conditions are permanent then they affect all maps.

I've looked into making game conditions affect the temperature in world map tiles that aren't open maps, but not in a radius around a particular tile. Also, it needs more testing. :)

As for toxic fallout, that's not so easy to do. Honestly, I think caravans escaping a toxic fallout area would have to take a path through caves or something to avoid exposure.

So, there are mechanics in place to make most of these events global? what sort of permanent conditions are we talking about? I can't recall any.

And traveling is another topic, but temperature does affect how much food you find and speed of the caravan, so other events should affect them too. Though traveling through tunnels... nah, it would make more sense to travel from shelter to shelter and detox.

RemingtonRyder

Volcanic winter, eclipse, solar flare and some others can all be permanent. Climate cycle is a permanent-only game condition. I've made a couple of custom game conditions in a mod called Solar Apocalypse & Rogue Planet which are permanent-only.

Norseman

Hmm, I had a volcanic winter in my home cell, but it wasn't two cells across. Though that was a temporary one. I can't recall ever coming across a permanent one.

So the seasons are pretty much events and not just interpolated temperature levels with a season based event pool that the RNG draws from?

Scavenger

I love it! It would be awesome. And it would affect Caravan travel! I can't imagine you move very fast in a blizzard.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

RemingtonRyder

Permanent game conditions are always set up in the scenario editor.

Snafu_RW

Quote from: Norseman on August 20, 2018, 04:43:49 AM

So the seasons are pretty much events and not just interpolated temperature levels with a season based event pool that the RNG draws from?

Seasons now (as of A17 or B18, I forget) depend upon latitude (planetary axial tilt is currently not in vanilla). So if you stay close to the equator you'll always be in in 'permanent summer', for eg

Events are RNG, but most only cover your bace (global) cell; exeptions are toxic fallout, volcanic winter etc. Hence my thought above
Dom 8-)