Nobody makes one meal at a time!

Started by Nydjo, August 16, 2018, 03:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adsixnine

bobucles

Quoteif you wanted bulk realistic food, all food would have to take allot longer to cook
Honestly this isn't a bad idea. Rimworld food preparation is 95% hauling and 2 seconds of cooking. If you don't set up an explicit stockpile where your cooks are literally buried in raw food then their cooking rate plummets like a rock. It would be far better to have a pawn take 30 seconds to cook up 5 meals if it means making only 1 hauling trip.

pesco

+1.

Cooks should definitely be able to batch produce meals, increasing output with better skills and better equipment.

On the other hand, unskilled cooks could waste food more often, injure themeselves and others and start fires!

SYDWAD

Nydjo

Quoteif you wanted bulk realistic food, all food would have to take allot longer to cook

I wish we didn't have an advantage when we put the stove in the freezer.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Nydjo on August 23, 2018, 01:40:13 PM

I wish we didn't have an advantage when we put the stove in the freezer.
It would be less of one if the cooks would carry as much as they could each trip instead of going in for 5 corn then back in for 5 meat each time. Or heaven forbid you're low on food and they go outside and into the sown field of 500 corn to take 5 corn, walking through your freezer to get back to the stove.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Klomster

Yes, multi-type item hauling would solve a lot of bullshit in rimworld.

cactusmeat

if we're trying for realism we've got a long way to go...

no creating pots or dishes, no utensils, no spices, butter, salt...keeping stoves in the freezer, not using tiered shelving, keeping piles of meat on the floor (and it's somehow sanitary).

if you just imagine that the extra time it takes to create these meals is gathering these readily available things and using them then there is no issue with how cooking works.

if you set up your cooking perfectly then ~1/10 colonists are butchers/cooks.

lunaticneko

I think a bill should be able to be set to "bulk" mode instead of relying on mods to add bulk jobs. The options for the bulk mode should be the minimum and maximum batch size, with larger batch sizes being more resource- and time-efficient at the cost of experience gains (10x meal prep and 10x meal cook should gain more exp than 10x meal prep then throw it all into the wok, etc.). The game should also set a hard limit to max batch size according to realism and practicality.

For example, if you set a "cook [4~10] simple meals", but have ingredients for 7, then the pawn makes 7.

This would allow more kinds of jobs to be done in batches, not just cooking.

It should be possible to reasonably cook 20x simple/fine meals and maybe up to 5x lavish meals at a time.

eatdrinkchewextra

QuoteI've been thinking for a while you should be able to cut food poisoning in half by keeping meats and vegetables/animal products in two separate stockpiles or freezers, it would be an interesting little feature for new players to find out.

Even having shelves reduce the % chance of food poisoning over the floor would be great.

Bolgfred

Just do what the French cook says!

Larger meal quantities could be gated by cooking skill, as you need some competence not to crap a dinner for 5 persons.

If realised in Rimworld I would consider 2 things:

1. Ingredients
with stools there is place for 6x75=450 units of raw food. So there its technical possible to craft 45 meals at a time without the need of walking.
Anyway, this would be a bit too extreme, to lets better pick 1-2 stacks of food, being 75-150.

2. item type
When making a feast, you probably not put it back in the freezer after youre done, or put it into tupper boxes. you probably put it on the table and people eat.
Whilst this makes sense, I think thats a bit much effort to realise, so I think it's better to stick with crafting x meals at once.

Solution:

New bills

Crew meals
IN: 75x raw food
OUT: 8x simple meals
TIME: 6x simple meals
REQ: cook 4
BONUS: 0,5 free meal

Quality Food
IN: 25x meat, 25x vegetable
OUT: 5 fine meal
TIME: 4x fine meal
REQ: cook 10
BONUS: 20% faster

Feast
IN: 50 meat, 50 vegetable
OUT: 5x lavish meal
TIME: 3x lavish meal
REQ: cook 12
BONUS: 40% faster

MRE4ALL
IN: ingredients for  8x Packaged survival meal
OUT: 10x Packaged survival meal
TIME: 7x Packaged survival meal
REQ: cook 14
BONUS: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger?
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil