Single tribal colonist challenge impossible with diseases?

Started by FTR, August 16, 2018, 03:48:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTR

I was trying to do single colonist challenge but got very quickly insta-downed by plague resulting in game over. Even scum-loading doesn't really work as it just happens again

Is this ANY way to beat plague early game as single tribal colonist or you just have to hope to get lucky until you get proper medicine or good doctor, which is not happening anytime soon with such scenario?

zizard

There used to be early game ancient danger raiding strategies to get Lucie for exactly this reason but they were made much more annoying and dicey because apparently the game mode is supposed to be RNG.

mndfreeze

Quote from: FTR on August 16, 2018, 03:48:39 PM
I was trying to do single colonist challenge but got very quickly insta-downed by plague resulting in game over. Even scum-loading doesn't really work as it just happens again

Is this ANY way to beat plague early game as single tribal colonist or you just have to hope to get lucky until you get proper medicine or good doctor, which is not happening anytime soon with such scenario?

If you are doing a naked brutality style play but tribal, it really depends on how early on and what disease hits.  I've survived plague before just BARELY by ultra micro managing my pawn and basically leaving them on bedrest and self tending the second its an option, while only getting them out to cook a few meals real fast or kill a raider thats coming.  Any threat that CAN be ignored, I ignore. Like manhunter animals, etc.

Sometimes your pawn just sucks a bit to much to save though, or it happens so early on that you don't even have much of a bed or food supply to be able to leave them in bed enough.

FTR

Quote from: mndfreeze on August 16, 2018, 10:05:27 PM

If you are doing a naked brutality style play but tribal, it really depends on how early on and what disease hits.  I've survived plague before just BARELY by ultra micro managing my pawn and basically leaving them on bedrest and self tending the second its an option, while only getting them out to cook a few meals real fast or kill a raider thats coming.  Any threat that CAN be ignored, I ignore. Like manhunter animals, etc.

Sometimes your pawn just sucks a bit to much to save though, or it happens so early on that you don't even have much of a bed or food supply to be able to leave them in bed enough.

The thing is, my colonist was insta-downed the second I got the plague, so I couldn't even tend to myself. Plague starts at 40% right? Maybe he had some other disease that also contributed, I don't really remember.

Stormkiko

Did he have the 'wimp' trait? I believe the plague comes with an inherent amount of pain that could have triggered the insta-down from wimp.

FTR

Quote from: Stormkiko on August 17, 2018, 09:07:38 AM
Did he have the 'wimp' trait? I believe the plague comes with an inherent amount of pain that could have triggered the insta-down from wimp.

Nope, althrough he did have Gut Worms and a scar increasing his pain by 30% so perhaps this combined with plague insta downed him.

Crow_T

What difficulty and what biome? Disease chance varies depending on location, maybe try a different place next time.
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

Snafu_RW

FWIW I've also noticed that treating /immediately/ with even herbal meds can reduce diseases to the point where pawns  don't need to remain in bed until immunity. Only reason my major doc stayed in bed for a week was because they were tending to the other 3 sick pawns (sleeping sickness in jungle; one of the worst for timeouts IMO) as well as herself
Next time a pawn gets a disease, order them to bed immediately, have a doc treat them ASAP & watch the sickness %age reduce to nothing before immunity sets in: I was amazed! :)
Dom 8-)

mndfreeze

Quote from: FTR on August 17, 2018, 09:47:09 AM
Quote from: Stormkiko on August 17, 2018, 09:07:38 AM

Nope, althrough he did have Gut Worms and a scar increasing his pain by 30% so perhaps this combined with plague insta downed him.

If you have multiple healh problems then chances are low you will survive it.  All the other pain sources as well as things that lower your pawns ability to fight it are mostly a death sentence, but sometimes you can get lucky.  Have meals prepared ahead of time and keep em in bed and treated immediately if possible.

I'm not a fan of how the storyteller loves to throw multiple long lasting diseases at the same time.  Seems to happen to me a lot too where I get malaria, gut worms, and mechanites at the same time or some similiar combination.  Not sure how the game decides what bad things to toss at you but it sure feels like its choices can be particularly nasty at times when it comes to illness.

deshara218

RawCode

IRL you won't get plague or "lethal flue" 3 times per year.

5thHorseman

Quote from: RawCode on August 21, 2018, 12:27:16 PM
It's actually closer to 1, and IRL with no medicine or housing (or clothes or food), you actually do.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Cards1125

Its not impossible by any means.  There are certainly times that you can start, get some bad RNG, and die, and there's nothing you can do to survive.  But I think that's the exception, not the rule.

RawCode

Quote from: 5thHorseman on August 21, 2018, 03:36:41 PM
Quote from: RawCode on August 21, 2018, 12:27:16 PM
It's actually closer to 1, and IRL with no medicine or housing (or clothes or food), you actually do.

in rimworld you get plague or lethal flue ever if you have everything by hand and skilled medical stuff, but in such case you will be able to survive it (sometimes and sometimes game just kill your people for drama and lulz)

Syrchalis

You know what would help with Gut Worms especially, but also diseases in general? Blueberries! Lots of blueberries!

*shamelessly promotes newest mod*

Nah but really only thing you can do is bed rest for the bonus, tend early, try to have medicine for the tends, it makes a giant difference. Also hunger and tiredness decrease immunity gain speed.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.