Is there a "colonist Control" mod out there?(or even asking to be made if not.)

Started by Kieran Vaxilian, August 17, 2018, 11:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kieran Vaxilian

What I started thinking after playing this game for a while, is basically along the lines "I wonder what it would be like if I could click one of my colonists, and click an option that lets me directly control what they do" basically think Dwarf Fortress's adventure mode...Or well, any top down game where you DIRECTLY control a unit, WASD to move them, mouse to aim weapons if you could select it, do tasks AS them, basically, become a colonist and BE that colonist, make it a BIT more personal to you, or even become more attached to a character you had in the game maybe in the start of a world, making it more meaningful if they get sick, injured, or even die..

So in a sense, I wanted to know if there was a mod where it let you basically just BE one of the colonists on command, or if not...if anyones honestly willing to MAKE that mod... it would be rather fun and interesting, to become one of the colonists, and DIRECTLY do what you'd normally just ORDER them to do... I'd think it'd make it more... I guess satisfying...of course it might have to be something you'd do in a world where you have things already in a good, somewhat self sustaining state, but still... imagine being a colonist, during a raid, and YOU have to make sure you aim right, YOU have to make sure your character doesn't get hurt, YOU have to maybe drag your downed ally away, or heal them when the raid is over... I feel that would make things more interesting...

Anyone else think it would be cool? I understand that would probably be VERY complicated, as when you would take control, the modder would have to make it so hotkeys for the normal game wouldn't interfere with maybe the "player control" aspect of the mod...

It would be interesting to see if ONE exists of this type, or even if someone is WILLING and has the experience in modding TO make this... I'd LOVE to play with a mod like that... welp, I hope someone has more luck finding something like this more than me, or could make this. but as usual!:

Have a wonderful day / night everyone! ! !
**sniff sniff** smell that? that's the smell of... the smell of... of... I got nothing, sue me! . . . wait, that's a joke, A JOKE! DON'T SUE ME I DON'T GOT MONEY!!!

Cpt. DuctTape

I doubt it's possible to make a mod like that to be honest, but If I remember correctly there was a mod around here that was kinda similar to what you suggested. It basically pinned your camera to a specific colonist and zoomed it in, so in order to build/order/place anything you had to manually move that colonist around the map. I don't know if it's being updated or not but you could check that out.

Kieran Vaxilian

Quote from: Cpt. DuctTape on August 18, 2018, 04:08:58 PM
I doubt it's possible to make a mod like that to be honest, but If I remember correctly there was a mod around here that was kinda similar to what you suggested. It basically pinned your camera to a specific colonist and zoomed it in, so in order to build/order/place anything you had to manually move that colonist around the map. I don't know if it's being updated or not but you could check that out.

well it wouldn't be impossible, just time and experience in coding, but the important thing being the knowledge of making new mechanics in Rimworld as well, though yeah, I see your point.
any knowledge of what that specific mod you remember is called?
**sniff sniff** smell that? that's the smell of... the smell of... of... I got nothing, sue me! . . . wait, that's a joke, A JOKE! DON'T SUE ME I DON'T GOT MONEY!!!

Cpt. DuctTape

Quote from: Kieran Vaxilian on August 18, 2018, 04:55:02 PM
well it wouldn't be impossible, just time and experience in coding, but the important thing being the knowledge of making new mechanics in Rimworld as well, though yeah, I see your point.
any knowledge of what that specific mod you remember is called?

Sadly not, since it's been a while since I last saw it. I'll try to find it.

Cpt. DuctTape