What are imperial janissaries?

Started by Ser Kitteh, August 18, 2018, 08:33:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ser Kitteh

The old description of power armor says:

"Powered armor usually used by assault troops from advanced glitterworld planets."

The renamed marine armor description says:

"A suit of light powered armor. Layered plasteel-weave plates are very effective at stopping attacks, with very few vulnerable joint sections. Neuro-memetic assistors allow a human to wear the armor and still move easily.

"Armor like this is often used by imperial janissaries and rapid-incursion space marines."

In real life, the historical janissaries (trans: new soldier) were Christian boys taken from Muslim lands to become bureacrats and elite soldiers of the Ottoman empire. So what makes an imperial janissary in Rimworld? Whatever they are, they sound very interesting! I hope the primer gets an update and tells us what they are.

Serenity

Probably the same. Some sort of elite slave soldiers in some empire

Ser Kitteh

I am very amused at the idea there's a Galactic Caliphate in the Rimworld universe. Sounds super cool.

Kirby23590

Huh, i thought we were talking about another game about Civilization or Age of empires.

What i heard and read about in the Wikipedia page about janissaries is that they served in the Ottoman Empire and it means "New Soldier" in their words though. They used to wield muskets and early gunpowder weapons during their time in that era.

However it sounds super cool though. :)

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.