fix bugs before putting in more shiny crap

Started by Bobisme, August 19, 2018, 10:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobisme

My first game was good, 7 colonies, only some small issues.
Now i've sat down and really planned out a sweet, efficient, mountain base for my new game.
The dickheads eat raw meat next to meals, morons get out of bed when they're dying from plagues etc and raw meals get fed to patients while meals sit untouched and don't get me wrong, i'm not stupid, they're not ascetic, i have done everything in my power to make things work, go see my complaints/bug posts..
This is ruining my gaming experience, this is not what i paid for,

If anyone would like a copy of my save file just ask, i would like to share my misery on fighting against things i have no control over

When i say efficient base i didn't consider the limitations of the games ability to realize 10 squares further is a meal, i didn't realize that something as simple as having the freezer closer to the door than the stove is would mean they eat raw crap....

Graba copy of my save, whatch as you go insane as nothing you do stops a dickhead from eating raw, or a moron from jumping out of a hospital bed as he dies form the plague to relax socially (they have mega' tv and i keep up on visitation.)

*This post has been heavily edited heh, was big rant before..

5thHorseman

I'll happily look at your save to give you recommendations on what to change. I never have anybody ever eat anything but meals unless those meals are severely far away and they are actually starving (not "just woke up" starving, but i danger of passing out starving). I don't do anything special so maybe you're just overlooking something that the rest of us feel is obvious.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Bobisme

I've been forced to rearrange my kitchen/freezer earlier to try to stop them from eating raw, has reduced the bs to a certain extent, but if a 'doc' pawn is outside and he goes to feed a sick pawn he will grab the raw food that was to be hauled, i would have loved to have kept my layout as it was, but i had to do something to fix the pawns inability to see past their noses...

i have 4 mods.. the only mod that is in play at the moment is wall lights B18

The others are:
More furniture (i haven't used any)
a dog said, (not researched or used any)
RBSE same as above

i did install huglib and smarter food selection to try to fix the food issue, but i 'removed them' as they didn't help the issue.

Oh and ignore the pawn by the name of 'the bitch' he has been giving me hell, had a tantrum and kicked out 23 of my components, set me way back, he has a +20 to break threshold via to smart and neurotic, use to break down every 5 minutes..

4 of them had the plague, now just 3 with good ol' sleep sickness

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3g8zne7roqroizt/Blaze%20Inferno.rws?dl=0

Enjoy :D

I gather you're going to say , the travel distance is to far and they get very hungry. they aren't starving, they don't have the ascetic trait and how hard is it for them to walk a few extra steps, i find no excuses in their inability to go 10 paces extra for a meal.

EDIT: I wanted to try out a heat box, hence the passage, i hear they are rather ineffective, i just sold a pile a clothes hence the clothes storage being empty to make way for fresh stuff

EDIT: My next attempt to stop the tools eating raw food is to build my hydroponics 'behind' the work storage area and remove exterior crops all together

Bobisme

I had to literally flip the kitchen/dining and freezer part, here is what it looked like before:
(the games room was to be below the freezer area, freezer has to go there due to that being the only possible ventilation)

[attachment deleted due to age]

5thHorseman

I don't know what version of the game this save is from, but it's not the most recent 0.19 build. It got about 1000 errors on load and then when it loaded, every item in the game was damaged. This generally happens between builds when hit points of things change, but I don't know if any one build changed things quite this drastically.

Also, when I loaded the save the very first thing that happened was that 2 people woke up, went into the meal room, took meals, and ate them at the table.

Other than basic efficiency which can easily be considered a preference* I don't really have any problems with the layout. When you load this game, does anything OTHER than those two people getting real meals and eating them at the table happen?

*For example, to cook a fine meal your cook has to go through 2 doors and a minimum of 9 or 10 tiles there and back, twice for each ingredient. That's 40+ tiles and 8 doors for one meal, which he then must walk 5 tiles through another door to drop off. In that time, an efficient kitchen has likely cooked and delivered maybe 5 meals to the meal holding area.
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.

5thHorseman

Oh. I see now. You're on B18.

Well then I guess you can say they have already done what you wanted. They fixed the bug, and then put in more shiny crap.

Bobisme

Sorry, i usually put what version i am using.
I agree on the extra doors reducing their speed in cooking and distance, i tend to have a pack of rice next to the stove, i placed it how it was due the almost only hole in the roof at that point. I'm not tooo fazed about the kitchen, i know it is not the most efficient of places, but i considered the extra distance negligible, they cook quick enough to keep ontop, generally and there will be auto doors soon enough :)
Even when told to stay in bed they repeatedly get up to meditate, relax socially, eat go use the telescope etc, and then if someone is outside that has doc they will grab raw produce instead of grabbing a mela as raw was closer, other than that happening over and over and over not to much of an issue

i was also going to place the med lab next to the hospital then realized in planning i made a space for it with the other work benches, so i used it for the comms console, bad design there i think, will probably be moving it 'back' to where the comms is now and putting bionic tables there instead

I'll wait till the full release as they keep saying unstable, but if these things have been addressed, if food has truly been fixed, then my bug reports and complaints are pointless rants lol, i had figured B18 was only 1 step from 1.0 and these bugs would be present in 1.0 while other things were getting implemented my appologies for throwin plates lmao  (i hear there is also now B19 )

All i needed to hear was a already fixed in 'B19' n ida shut up a long time ago lol, so for now i'm on my own, fair enough.

Every time they ate raw stuff, every time they left there bed as death got closer, every time they would feed raw food to patients, they weren't the only ones getting a debuff

wish someone had said to me earlier it's been fixed in B19 etc.. lol
With no responses to other posts i thought others were waiting for the fix too, just watching for a response too...
Well i'll go back to my raw eatin ppl and know i can fix it with an update.

5thHorseman

Quote from: Bobisme on August 20, 2018, 12:04:25 PM
i had figured B18 was only 1 step from 1.0 and these bugs would be present in 1.0 while other things were getting implemented my appologies for throwin plates lmao  (i hear there is also now B19 )
You're in for some (hopefully happy) surprises. 0.19 (which is what 1.0 used to be they just changed the number) is a LOT different than 0.18.