Are you satisfied with the sequence of repairs?

Started by East, August 21, 2018, 09:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East

Are you satisfied with the sequence of repairs?

Ultimately I want to have a working order that is completely editable. But it would be very complicated.
I don't think it's worth pursuing in Vanilla.

As repair is patched, the order is often changing.
What's the right thing?

1. Repair is the most important thing.

pros : Repair of defensive structures such as turret and doors is very important. Late repairs will reduce the base's defense.
cons : Construction will be too slow to repair non-critical parts.

2. You can repair it later.

The opposite of the 1.

so To mix their strengths and fill their drawbacks,

The order requires emergency repair. The building checked by the order is first repaired by the architect. This will allow us to order the defence line first, and to slowly repair other parts.

now construction
contruction->deconstruction -> repair

the desired situation
emergency repair (order) ->construction ->deconstruction->repair

Emergency repairs can be marked on buildings damaged by order .

lazyl

I think they definitely made a mistake switching the priority of repair and construct. People were complaining in 0.18 about pawns repairing walls before fixing the holes in the walls, but now we've got the reverse problem. Pawns are doing unimportant construction work on the base interior before repairing the defensive structures. As for how to fix it I think they should just revert that change. I'd much rather micro the construction of a few holes than micro the much larger volume of repair work or have to forbid a ton of interior construction orders.

Aerial

I'm in the opposite camp.  I much prefer the current order, if I have to have an order specified.   However, I still think the jobs should be split in the work tab so people can customize it to fit their needs.  No single order is going to work for everyone, or even for a single player in all situations.

Namsan

I think old versions of the game were better at this.
Because "Repair" and "Construction" jobs were available separately.
Combining them into "Construction" job was probably a bad decision.
Hello

Blato

Quote from: Namsan on August 22, 2018, 09:42:40 AM
I think old versions of the game were better at this.
Because "Repair" and "Construction" jobs were available separately.
Combining them into "Construction" job was probably a bad decision.
I'd prefer them separate as well, I don't mind them being tied to the same skill, construction. But I would like to designate my high lvl constructors to constructing, and those that have passion but lower skill to be assigned to repairing.  Just how we have high lvl crafters making weapons and armor with smithing and tailoring and low lvl crafters cutting blocks and making smokeleaf with the craft job.

lancar

I think this could be most easily solved with the zone area feature.

For example, bundle "priority repairing" into the [shovel snow] zone and rename it into [Maintainance Area].
That way, you'd save a zone type and UI space.

Might cause a few turret tiles to get continually shovelled, though. Hm, maybe a different kind of zone just for repairs would be better, after all.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: East on August 21, 2018, 09:56:33 PM
desired situation
emergency repair (order) ->construction ->deconstruction->repair

Emergency repairs can be marked on buildings damaged by order .

I'd rather have urgent haul than emergency repair 8)

I'm fine with the current sequence and the current work tab keeps it simple. I like to split a few job (handling/taming, doctoring/nursing) but it's secundary.

Firestonezz

Construct before repair is better because you can easily just forbid blueprints of new structures until the repairs are done.

Forbidding repairs requires changing the home zone, which would impact other things such as cleaning zones and allowed areas. It's also easier to forget about when you want to re-allow repairs later, whereas the forbid icon on blueprints is very noticeable.

XeoNovaDan

I agree with Namsan that there should be a re-separation of the 'Construction' and 'Repair' work types just like there used to be prior to Alpha 16. There are times where you'd want to prioritise repairing over building new things, and other times where you'd want the opposite to be the case, or just simply assign some constructors to be higher priority repairers than constructors.

Thankfully Fluffy's Work Tab allows for good control over this.