Allow water to cool down colonists and animals during Heat Wave

Started by fieldarchy, August 22, 2018, 05:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fieldarchy

Most of the time, heat waves mean death for colonists unless there is an air conditioning unit already installed in the colony (which can be difficult when you get a heat wave within minutes of starting the game). I have had several colonies begin near water and have wondered why water doesn't give a cooling effect to colonists.

I mean, when we are hot during summer in real life, many of us take to the ocean or pool. Why not include this in Rimworld?

AileTheAlien

Even something simple, like having the temperature of water be slighly lower than the outdoors' would work. Something like this even:
- shallow marsh: outdoors / room temperature
- deep marsh: -5C
- shallow ocean: -10
- deep ocean: -15
- shallow river: -15
- deep river: -20

Blato

Quote from: AileTheAlien on August 22, 2018, 08:44:52 AM
Even something simple, like having the temperature of water be slighly lower than the outdoors' would work. Something like this even:
+1 on this idea. It would make a good coolant in heat, and would simulate the real problem of getting wet during winter.

Maybe somehow tie in the "soaking wet" mood debuff to be a health condition that effects the whole body, rising the comfortable temperature of a pawn. So it would make pawns more durable to heat, but susceptible to cold while wet.
It would even promote an "oasis" type of settling around a lake on a desert map.

Third_Of_Five

+1

Makes complete sense. Would also be cool to see swimming as a recreational activity.

Bolty

Quote from: AileTheAlien on August 22, 2018, 08:44:52 AM

+1 from me too.

erdrik

+1 Agreed.
I would also love it if water was the focal point for other types of activities too.
Like fishing, relaxing, ect..

5thHorseman

"Soaking wet" should be a +bonus to mood too, if it's too hot out.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Toggle

Even a simple method might be just adding a 'filtered shower' joy device, planted on top of shallow water areas. Gives buff & debuff for being strong to heat and weak to cold respectively, plus a longer mood bonus for it. Problem with a shower is it might get people going into the whole hygiene thing though, so swimming would be a solid method by itself. Maybe make a zone toggle for 'swimming' so you can mark where they can and can't swim and turn it off when needed?

Only support if there's also a chance that they can drown, possibly based off movespeed (so someone with arthritis would be more likely).
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

erdrik

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 24, 2018, 01:41:59 AM
Only support if there's also a chance that they can drown, possibly based off movespeed (so someone with arthritis would be more likely).
I disagree.
Im fine with adding more water interaction even if drowning is not included. Personally Im weary to even add it if it isn't done carefully. I don't want that drown chance to trigger and then just get a message "Pappy has drowned.", too late they dead. I don't even think a "drowned" condition needs to be added(living or dead), instead just knock the pawn unconscious, add some kind of "take slow lung damage while downed in water", and a custom "colonist needs rescue" message when one is downed in water.

Controlling a colonist outside of draft is too hands off for me to ever feel anything but pissed off at the mechanic if death by drowning isn't carefully handled.

Toggle

Quote from: erdrik on August 24, 2018, 09:02:22 AM
instead just knock the pawn unconscious, add some kind of "take slow lung damage while downed in water", and a custom "colonist needs rescue" message when one is downed in water.

Yeah this is pretty much what I meant. If they just randomly drowned and disappeared or something that would suck, I just think a potential risk for this makes sense since they may have never swam in their life. What you said is all that's really necessary for em to "drown".
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.