Visitor gifts are a bit overboard for small (yet wealthy) colonists

Started by Studly Spud, August 22, 2018, 05:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Studly Spud

I am running a playthrough with only two colonists.  Cassandra, Intense, 1.0, no mods.  Started with Crashlanded Explorer, fully intending to one man it the whole way through.  After a while I realized that there wasn't enough time in a day to both sustain life and progress, including research.  So I took one of the incapacitated helping quests about 2 days away.  (part of the base burnt down due to lightening in the meantime, but I digress...).  The pawn on the ground was a pretty good one, with skills in plants and animals and things I didn't already have.  Fixed her up, brought her back, one thing led to another and now they're married. 

The two pawns are doing very well for themselves.  The base is decent sized, they're hoarding a lot of stuff, somewhat rich for two pawns, defense is hard but fun.  But my gripe is that the game treats 2 pawns as doing very badly.  I have to constantly avoid the free pawns the game throws at me.  There are quite a few crashlanded survivors, wandering people joining (I must immediately banish), wild men, and other things.  Also every visitor seems to feel the need to give me quite a substantial gift.  Of glitterworld meds, weapons, clothing, meals, silver.   

I wonder if the kind of "help" mechanic could take allowance for the fact that you only have low number of colonists but are wealthy otherwise?  Maybe a setting in the game start, where you can opt in to "limit max colonists" and select a number?  The game wouldn't even allow you to recruit more than that.  That would be pretty fun. 

Anyway, I'm not near the end game with my two colonists, spaceship is still a long way off and I mean to continue playing through.

giltirn

Just wait until the game decides to throw neverending waves of rescue quests with relations to your colonists. You're pretty much boned whatever you do; leave them to die and your colonist gets a heavy mood debuff lasting over half a year, rescue them (at risk of life and limb) and promptly banish them and you also get hammered by a debuff. I fully intend to mod out relation-rescue quests at release but for now I am just deleting the mood debuff entry from the save game file.

Razzoriel

The game was never intended for small colonied because it takes a small mistake, a plague or something terrible to happen to completely wreck you.

But since we're talking about the AI not interpreting bad or good colonies, id rather see the "colonist dead = one year of good stuff" thing. Its too exploitable to just sacrifice one awful colonist every year to Moloch and have cargo pods drop every other day.

Tynan

For what it's worth, there's no connection between colonists dying and the likelihood of cargo pods (or any other incident).

Population-increasing incidents will occur more when the colony is low in population, but that's got nothing to do with if/when anyone dies. "Sacrificing" them to Moloch won't accomplish anything that you couldn't do just by selling them or banishing them.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog